Survey for better education

Hi there! :)

As part of my Master's thesis I am doing a survey about education and French culture.

This could help providing better and more relevant contents for expatriates in France, in their daily life and with their children!

That would be so kind of you if you could anonymously answered the survey, it only takes 4 minutes!

https://fr.surveymonkey.com/r/9GQTG

Thank you in advance!!!

Sibby

Well, I went to a Comprehensive school, left at 16 and then spent a couple of years in a College of Further Education. Then went to university to get a degree, worked for about 6 years, then went back to university for a post grad diploma, won a scholarship to study more overseas and that's it.

I got a CSE grade 3 in french at school as I never really enjoyed french, but later on in life lived in France for 7 years and am now a fluent french speaker. I currently speak four languages including Mandarin and am learning a fifth.

Having put four children through the french school system I really must say that I find it archaic, very old fashioned, and with many teachers who are unwilling to be flexible and unwilling to change with the times. Their jobs are safe, so why should they bother?

For example, imagine an 7 year old surdoué child, IQ of 140 confirmed by Mensa, corrects his teacher that she is describing a tetrahedron and not a pyramid, he gets punished and told to leave the classroom but he is defiant because he knows he is right. The teacher is angry and complains that the boy embarrassed her in class. The child repeatedly tells the parents that school is unbearable because he already knows everything they are teaching him.

Imagine when his calculating in mathematics is different to the way he is taught by his teacher. He is brilliant at mathematics, but in his mind he calculates it differently in what he finds a more logical way. And, in a test where he gets 100% the teacher accuses him of cheating and he is punished and sent away crying.

Then, when the parents speak to the Principal, they are told he cannot go into a higher class because there is no space.

So this is my opinion of french schools. By the way, this all happened in Biarritz in the Pays-Basque.