Sosua Changes

Dominican Today posted the article below this morning about a meeting that took place last week in Sosua. It is a subject that has been talked about for a long period of time and during the period that I was working in the area over 18 months ago, I heard the details first hand through someone very close to the governing authorities.

We have a number of happy owner/residents living in the town and others planning to move there, and it has been a venue for expat.com meet ups, so it would be interesting to hear some balanced opinions of persons committed and resident in the town and indeed the country about the changes outlined in the article below, rather than some of the repetitive commentary which can be found on other social media.

The vast majority at the well attended meeting were in favour of the changes. Are you?

Different sectors of the Municipality of Sosúa met in a community meeting convened jointly by the City Hall, the Economic and Social Council, the Ministry of Tourism ( Mitur ) and the Public Ministry, to publicize recent and future measures aimed at changing the image and repositioning of this family tourist destination in the Dominican Republic.

Andrés Pastoriza, the coordinator of the Economic and Social Council of the Municipality of Sosúa ( CESMS ), spoke of the need to implement changes to attract family tourism that has moved away from this beautiful coastal city in recent years, as a result of the negative image that has been projected on this location.

On the other hand, Ignacio Peña Grullón, deputy director-general of the Specialized Tourist Security Corps ( Cestur ), announced the strategy that has been carried out for the organization of the sector known as El Batey.

Next, Jakaira Cid, North Regional Director, Ministry of Tourism, spoke about the actions that ministry has recently carried out and the promising future that awaits Sosúa, once the required changes are implemented.

While, in the main words of the act, Ilana Neumann de Azar, municipal mayor, expressed her firm decision and commitment to promoting the necessary actions to achieve the goal of making Sosúa a prominent and attractive family tourist destination.

She also said, “I will not relent in my efforts to return to Sosúa the brightness that this community deserves.”

The mayor took the opportunity to thank the Mitur, the Public Ministry, Cestur and the National Police, for the support received so far.

She added, “I trust that these institutions will continue to give us their support to achieve the desired goals together.”

The aforementioned meeting was held at the Casa Marina Hotel in this city and was attended by a large audience, consisting of representatives of the main local economic and social sectors, including members of the Edilicio Council, businessmen, hoteliers, neighborhood councils , churches, education sector, sports groups, communicators, civil and military authorities and the general public.

The different topics discussed were widely debated and commented on by those present. It was appreciated that the vast majority of those present are in favor of the changes that are taking place and yearn for a better future for this laborious community endowed with beautiful beaches and natural resources.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2 … a-tourism/

I found this article of interest.  I lived  8 years on the north coast and tried living in Sosua. I lasted 3 months as I hated the town after dark.

For me this is all good news!

Agreed, night time is not a place to be.

However on the question of tourism one thing which needs urgent attention are the flights into POP from Europe.  At present it's close to zero  Most flights go in to Punta Cana then SDQ  Ignoring the collapse of Thomas Cook 6 years ago there were many more flights from Germany & the UK What's happened  Now going int o SDQ or PUJ means a taxi ride of 4.5 & 5.5 hours respectively.

Ducketts

As a resident of Sosua, I don't see how they can attract families.  No sidewalks, crumbling existing sidewalks, no parking, giant holes where buildings used to exist, and a hair-brained plan to move all bars to a quiet residential section of downtown.  I love Sosua for all it's faults and scars, but a family destination seems so far fetched as to be laughable.  The prostitutes don't bother me or my wife, as we love people-watching, and the interactions between the ladies' and their clients is much more interesting than watching momma scold her kids for almost falling in an open pit.  We don't go out to the clubs at all, so whether they exist or not is not relevant to my every day living, but they do add a flavor to the town that would be missing should they all move.  That would leave a void for more Chinese clothing stores to open up, thereby squeezing the Dominican culture out even more.  Given the choice between nagging mommy tourists and colourful ladies looking for business, I'd take the ladies (figuratively, of course) every time.  But, an election is around the corner, and while I've only been here a year, I've learned that much talk and half-assed actions come into play during election time.  Let the circus begin!!

Well said...

Since i know Sosua and have been told the History of Sosua has this Town above 30 Years been a location for Individual Tourists and most of them came there because of the sex Tourism . I have seen the Streets of Sosua Full of Woman . The Pedro Clisante has been close to no passable with Car because of all the Woman on the Streets . The Corner Pedro Clisante  Dr Rosen has been the Place where everything has been bundled . One site The German Bar Bermuda Eck the other site Plaza Marinero and in front of it The Disco Moby Dick . This Corner has been famous for Years and even after Authorities did Close all Business in Sosua causing immense lost to also serious Business Owners without any scruples this corner did not loose his Name and importance in sosua and still you find there most "Streetlife" even if the Bar Bermuda Eck is gone . There have been so many intents to get the Woman of the Streets of Sosua but the Prostitution is like the Drug scene , never disappears where it has been ones established only changes his Way of operation . The Puerto Plata Area is and will be the most known Place for Sex tourism in the Dominican Republic and Government is not going to change that only change the Way of appearance ....... All a big Lie : Family destination? a Place where at the Beach the most nasty Woman and Streetsellers and Sanki Pankis do their Biz? come on ? Casa marina is an other Thing because there it is not such visual but the Woman before staying with their "friends" in small Hotels of Invidual Tourism now arrive with them and have a stay at a nice Resort. Things have changed?

I do believe Sosua has been uniquely unsuccessful to date in shaking off it's sordid reputation as being the main DR sex tourism destination.

I think it unfair to suggest that Puerta Plata is still known as a sex tourist destination and great efforts have been made to market the area better and there is an influx of quality resort investment coming as a result.

Zona Colonial has definitely changed and whilst there are still red light activities to be found in the area, it is much more discreet and not in your face and the tourists flock in.

Boca Chica too has changed and it is now more a distant suburb of Santo Domingo East than the sex tourism destination it was known to be. Now bar owners don't let the women come into their bars touting customers and the main street remains closed off at night and it is more relaxed with tables being served in the middle of the street. And when it comes to beaches the section near the Marina is much more Dominican than tourist and there is less hassle on the town beach. Still not perfect but getting better and a determined local authority pushing change.

Punta Cana and Samana have everything under control and fulfill the needs of all including family vacationers.

Establishments promoting seedy and often illegal behavior have been closed in Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Sosua central yet remains messy. As Uncle Bucks mentions it seems run down with damaged streets and properties. I really seems a very far cry from real Dominican life and quite rightly one wonders how it could ever attract family holiday makers in the short term, other than those that stay within the two all-inclusive resorts that also need makeovers. That other branded high end NY crowd hotel has closed too.

Yet outside Sosua central going east there are some really nice properties and seemingly good opportunities for development, but is never seems to happen even in much more liked Cabarete. Perhaps it is that reputation of the 'unruly neighbour' that stunts decent real estate development.

And in this country you do need buy in from middle class Dominicans in any resort area to work well too. And they won't touch Sosua with it's current reputation.

Something surely has to change. Maybe the elections next year will push start change even harder. Reason: influential people associated with local government and running for high office have strong ties to the town, want change and own property in Sea Horse Ranch.

Family tourism is likely some way off still after any changes.

Love it or hate it, Sosua has an unfortunate and now almost unique reputation amongst Dominicans and beyond which seems impossible to shed.

Interesting read. I would not disagree with your assessments!

https://www.arecoa.com/destinos/2019/10 … turistico/

The article posted in the OP has made it's way to arecoa.com which is the official news outlet for MITUR, Ministry of Tourism. This would suggest this is officially supported now at the highest levels of government and it is more about how and when rather than whether now.

Thanks for updating us.

We do see women on the streets, and agree with Uncle Buck that it makes for delicious people watching. But I don't see women or men openly soliciting on the beach. And I have never seen any type of sex act, not even kissing for that matter, out on the streets. I did see a chick rubbing a dudes bald head once. That was a little weird.

I personally have no interest in Sosua becoming a family destination. I think it could be successful as an adult destination with a dedicated red light district.  And the vacant lots, broken sidewalks, and big holes seems to us to be a bigger problem than the girls.

Casa Marina was recently remodeled and a couple new hotels are being built. Let's not  give her up for lost quite yet. ❤️

On the beach, was never an issue  honey. It's always been pretty much everywhere in town.  A few years ago it was really bad, it's been cleaned up a lot.  I remember walking down the main Street at 7 pm and being solicited by women! 

Uncontrolled prostitution always draws other problems - drugs, robbery and physical violence.  That is a fact. 

Of course Sosua can become a family destination, why wouldn't it!  That beach is stunning, the town is cute! 

I agree 100% with issues of empty lots, bad sidewalks etc needing repairs!  That is an issue all over this country and especially important in tourist areas.

There seems to a significant push on to get some decent quality hotels established in the town now.

https://www.arecoa.com/hoteles/2019/09/ … eef-sosua/https://www.arecoa.com/hoteles/2019/09/ … les-sosua/

It looks like it is for real this time and all change in Sosua.

https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2019/11/08/ … -en-sosua/

Sosúa Given the expiration of the term granted to establishments, the Municipality of Sosúa and the Prosecutor's Office of Puerto Plata closed 10 bars and discos, as part of the actions to deal with the uncontrolled prostitution that is exercised in this municipality.

The measure seeks to prevent it from being sold as a place for sex tourism. The City Council of Sosúa, through its Council of Councilors, approved Resolution number 17-2017 on Regulations and Land Use for Municipal Tourism Territorial Planning, with which several businesses were notified, which were located in Pedro Clisante Street . The closed establishments were, Diamond Club Lounge, Club 59, Meregue Bar, Bourbon Street, Platinium Disco Bar, Sosúa Light 2012 Bar, Blue Ice Piano Bar, Chez Mon Real, BBQ Grill Sports Center and Central Bar.

On warning

“What happened in Sosúa last night, specifically in El Batey, is a measure that has been working based on a plan for several years. What we wanted with this is to create a level of coexistence, where all sectors can develop without affecting the image of our city, ”said Ilana Newman, mayor of Sosúa. He said that the various representative sectors cannot allow this municipality to continue to be sold purely and simply as a sexual destination. Newman recalled that as a destination Sosúa has many attractions to offer tourism.

"What we do not want is that the room of our house, which is the entrance specifically the street of El Batey is a prostitution center and under no circumstances can we continue to give this ugly and terrible image of this city," said the mayor . The regulations granted a period of one year for their transfer to the area or block approved in the same resolution.

The deadline for business transfer has expired

The resolution was notified last year 2018, but that provision was not complied with and its deadline had expired. Although the resolution was notified a year and five months ago, according to the inspectors, only one of the offenders showed intention to apply to the municipal ordinance. Various sectors have denounced prostitution in that tourist area.

Looks like they are serious.

Dominican Today takes another angle on the news of the bar closures. Women trafficking and exploitation of minors being reasons to close and reduce prostitution in Sosua.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/201 … afficking/

Puerto Plata.- Judicial, police and tourist security authorities closed on Thurs. raided 11 night clubs linked to trafficking in women, as part of an operation that aims to reduce prostitution in the North Coast.

Among the closed centers, which are located in the El Batey sector, are Diamond Club Lounge, Club X, Merengue Bar, Bourbon Street, Club 59, Platinum Disco Bar, Sosúa Light 2012 Bar, Blue Ice Piano Bar, Chez Mon Real, BBQ Grill Sport Center and Central Bar.

The clubs located on Pedro Clisante street housed dozens of local young women and from other towns of towns offer sex to tourists staying in hotels in Sosúa and Cabarete.

The investigators also sought minors who were exploited by pimps, in addition to guns and drugs.

against the businesses led

Puerto Plata prosecutor Osvaldo Bonilla headed the raids accompanied by National Police and Tourism Security officers.

Frankly, there may be some indifference by those that have chosen Sosua as there home here about these closures, but the fact remains that Sosua and indeed the nearby North Coast is losing tourists year in year out and it is the lack of decent hotels in the area that is a huge drawback.

Investors were not going to put big money in to the newly planned resorts without a clean up. Visitors and tour operators can't find decent quality hotels in Sosua and Cabrete with sufficient rooms without being alongside sex tourist or having to pass a red light district on entering the town to justify a heavy sales pitch.

Sex tourism of this nature is a thing of the past and this will surely be a good move for a town that boasts good beaches and is close to many attractions and has a growing expat resident retirement community. To rid the town of women and their pimps originally from the interior of the country who are heavily into drugs and associated crime plus the large illegal Haitian contingent of whores should be a medium term gain along with a re-branding of the town once word gets out to the sex tourists and they move elsewhere.

DR has changed and sex tourism establishments have been and continue to be closed down throughout the country. Sosua should be grateful.

If cleaning up Sosua results in less expensive airfare to POP, I think it could be a good thing. None of us can predict the outcome. So many people complain about the lack of law, the difference in culture (as if another country should be just like the one you came from, smh) why not give it a chance and see if it works? If it does, it really could be the best of both worlds. Personally, I don't care if it is family friendly. My little kid days are over. And, I don't think it will ever be a Disneyland. But if these efforts to clean up Sosua physically as well as perceptually work, I think it would be beneficial for all. The girls still make money, the bars still make money, the other places have a chance to increase their traffic, and there are some new hotels. I look forward to seeing how it all shakes out.

It will be interesting for sure!

I don't think it will effect airfares though honey so don't hold your breath.  Needs a lot more then Sosua cleaning up to fix that!

A girl can dream can't she??

Oh yes, she can!!!!

https://www.arecoa.com/destinos/2019/11 … ino-sosua/

More from the regional and national tourist organizations on the clean up of Sosua translated by Dominican Today as below:

“Rescue our paradise,” plan to stop prostitution in Sosúa

The institutions covered by the Puerto Plata Destination Tourism Cluster ( CTDPP ) express their unrestricted support for the actions that are being carried out in the tourist municipality of Sosúa as part of the “Rescuemos Nuestro Paraíso” (Rescue Our Paradise) plan, which seeks to confront the illicit business of prostitution and pimping, to recover the family-oriented tourism that characterized this community for decades.

“From the Cluster organization we support the measures suggested and implemented by the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic , the Pro-Active Committee of Sosúa, the Economic and Social Council of this municipality, integrated by the City Council, Ministry of Tourism ( Mitur ), the Council of Councilors, businessmen, representatives of churches, civil society, military organizations, the National Police, the Specialized Tourist Security Corps ( Cestur ) and the Puerto Plata Air Base, understanding that they seek to recover the pride and dignity of this community—one that has all the necessary elements to enhance its harmonious cultural, historical and family profile,” adds the agency in a statement.

“We understand that the actions carried out by the competent authorities, under the strictest adherence to the Constitution and laws, while representing an important step towards the eradication of this scourge that has tarnished the good image of Sosúa, without a doubt come to reinforce the will and struggle of men and women who, with honest work, forge a better future for this destination,” the group asserts.

“We reaffirm our institutional support and trust that the efforts that are now being carried out will be continuous and sustainable over time until this unique paradise on the North Coast of the Dominican Republic is rescued,” concludes the CTDPP authorities.

In that same order, the main associations of Sosúa have shown their support for the actions that will be implemented to control prostitution in the multi-faceted tourist destination of the North.

This is the Sustainable Development Association of Sosúa ( ADSS ) and the Association of Hotels and Restaurants of Sosúa and Cabarete ( Ashoresoca ), who have expressed their support for the actions recently initiated by the authorities to control the disorder in the main streets of the Batey de Sosúa sector.

Being one of the main family tourist destinations in the country, in recent years Sosúa has become a sex tourism destination, due to the uncontrolled growth of prostitution in the center of this attractive municipality on the north coast of the country. This situation has alienated family tourism, both national and foreign, causing the closure of numerous hotels and restaurants, with the resulting unemployment and decline in the area, the statement said.

It is notable that, as part of the process of settlement and ordination of the municipality, last week the Attorney General's Office, assisted by members of the National Police and the Cestur, ordered the closure of several bars on Pedro Clisante street in the sector of El Batey, in Sosúa, applying the resolution of land use issued by the Chapter Hall of the City Council.

The measures have deserved the approval of the great majority of the population, as well as of the companies grouped in the ADSS and ASHORESOCA, main motivators of positive actions for the improvement of the municipality of Sosúa, as well as the different sectors that make up the Economic Council and Social of the Municipality of Sosúa ( CESMS ).

Humberto Pichardo, director of ASHORESOCA, indicated that the actions that the authorities are carrying out with the purpose of ordering and cleaning up the destiny of Sosúa are very positive, “so that our municipality returns to be, as in previous years, a cultural, gastronomic and cultural destination. Above all, familiar. This has been a crying claim, for years, of all entrepreneurs and the community in general,” emphasized Pichardo.

On his side, Andrés Gustavo Pastoriza, president of ADSS, thanked the authorities for having made the decision to implement the actions.

“Only with the decided and coordinated support of all the institutions will it be possible to reposition Sosúa. We hope that these efforts will continue until the desired goals of cleaning up El Batey are achieved, to attract family tourism back to Sosúa. Let's rescue our paradise! ”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2 … -in-sosua/

The objective now seems deliberate, fully committed and clear.

Well let's see if they maintain this! 

On a side note:. They sure like to complicate their writing!  I understand part of this is translation but damn they love to use big words that make them feel important. 

Side note over!

Who lives long enough in Sosua to remember that in 1996 has been a big operation to close all Business in Sosua as act to fight Prostitution . There have been closed Bars and Restaurants, Discotheques small Hotels, Boutiques, Street food Stands and many other Businesses who in any Form have been able to sell also to Prostitutes . Places like a Burger Grill was closed because they did sell also to Prostitutes and that was the reason why Authorities closed this Biz because of getting benefits from illicit actions. The Town of Sosua was down for close to a Year, and did cost many Business owners their existence . The fact behind their has been that Scruples Dominicans did want to take over this Business and they did with help of the Government who did confiscate many Bar interiors without any legal order . Who remember the Plaza Marinero in Sosua the Owner even filled with "new Equipment" and it did burn down and the Owner cashed from his ensurance for his big LOST . He later became City mayor in Puerto Plata . A Blind can see that deep Corruption and fights of Personal interests are the real Reason for all this actions against Prostitution . You can notice that over all this Years bars owned by Expats have getting closed by Authorities  because of benefiting from Prostitution to get taken over by Dominicans to reopen the Place with the same Sort of Biz doing , but not disturbed by Dominican Authorities. All this "Plans" to recover Paradise are a big Lie and have the only Purpose to take from people their Property to give it to others . Prostitution does happen all over the Country and in many cities are big horehouses sinse decades and have been never touched . Why ? because they are owned by Dominicans . Did by Mistake an Expat over the Problems start right away . The List of Businesses owned by Foreigners  is long who got destroyed by Authorities to get reopened by Dominicans . The Fight against Prostitution is a big Lie!!!! And In Sosua is a Fight for Teretory not against Prostitution and the Province Government of Puerto Plata and City Hall membersof Sosua and Cabarete are deeply involved in this if you can believe in the local sources of Information .

And times do change. The powers that be are understanding the values in tourism.  Sosua and area are primarily tourism driven, whether it's short term or.long term! 

Prostitution and all associated issues are a problem.  They are specifically a problem in that area.  Many many people won't go to Sosua because.of it.   I for one will not go there in the evenings!  And I haven't for.many many years!

Is some of this corruption? Sure.  Is some.of it wanting to drive out expat owners? Maybe.  Most of.it is wanting to clean up Sosua and reap the profits out of tourism.

Even seing that they are staring to create a new Area to build Discotheques , Bars and restaurants in an Area where now only stay some private Houses  . Some of this "Gentlemen" in Sosua in Power and some from Cabarete up front the City Mayor have in this Area some Property and do not get it sold for the Money they want it to sale for . now they go and try to take down the "Inner city " of sosua build  the Way it is as amusement Center big Money has been made and still people making with this Money and some People are upset about it because they get nothing from the Profit and even worst it is benefiting Foreigners . It should be the Foreigners who have to act like the Germans did who mostly left Sosua because of all this Crap , now the mayority of Foreigners are Americans and Canadians and it happen again they also get ripped of . Prostitution did so much welth to this small Area with nothing to offer the Beaches are not that great and what more have you been able to do there at this coast?  Punta Cana , Bavaro even Boca Chica have a lot more and a lot better to offer ........

Interesting perspective above, but I doubt if the few properties where the businesses have been closed down have any potential comparable value to the shoreline and beach side real estate in the area which remains undeveloped or occupied by old closed down hotels.

Simple fact is that the Sosua municipality - and that includes Cabarete- has seen a big decline in tourism and investments in significant hospitality developments over the years. There is a link whatever one may say between the image of the town and willingness by money men to put significant sums into new projects.

It appears it has finally sunk in that this area of past and future great potential is not going anywhere without radical change and all the tourist bodies both local, regional and national are on the case.

One of the key players in the new plans for developments in the area is the Ocean Club Group, which owns the property that was once branded the Gansevoort, Sosua, are active in recruiting senior executives right now. Effecting change is happening and  was needed for movement to happen on the development front. Expect more especially if there is change in next years presidential election.

After all, throughout the country, clubs and bars promoting prostitution and the trafficking of women and minors have been progressively shut down over the past few years. Prostitution won't be going away in DR anytime soon, but no doubt the aim is to get it out of your face and image making in Sosua, and gradually suppress it more to be out of sight and controlled like in other resorts and nationally whether Dominican or foreign owned.

On a more personal note, I really wish that some people would stop thinking this country is full of women who engage in prostitution. This perception unfortunately comes from men who only really know Sosua and Boca Chica and promote as such on social media. The reality of living throughout the country is frankly far different and some of those so called liberal attitudes seen in a diverse society split between a few rich and many poor are being mistaken, and as such Dominican women generally are being cast in a bad way. So wrong!

I have to agree with you on many many points you make. 

Sadly most expatsove here and.only live in one place. Or.only visit one area.  This country is so diverse and amazing.  As are the people!  This country is not just Sosua. It is not just punta Cana. It is not just any one area and it's not just tourism.

I do really reading with pleasure that also other people see that the DR not only living Prostitutes .          I would never Think that in the Dr only living Prostitutes and because of the Fact that in some Areas are more and some a lot less prostitution I decided to live where less Prostitution is visible . Also in Sosua live Woman you will not be able to "buy" . Looking around in the Dominican Republic there are many nice Places and very honest families but you can not talk away that many Woman do their living in some way prostitute themselves. You will find this in Europe and the US same , no much difference to the DR only the Limit is lower . The Prostitution WILL NOT go away from the North Coast it will may only be there in an other Way . And this is what the Government is fighting since 1996 and only produce a lot of collateral damage  but not wipe out the Prostitution. For Prostitution is a need of two Parts : the  Offer and the Demand and here is the Point ; so many "Gringos" come here only for one Purpose ; to find a cheap Prostitute . They do it in Cuba , do it in Panama, do it in Colombia, do it in Brazil, to only mention some . In Asia and also Africa is the same . Sex tourism exist all over the World and is Part of the Tourism all over the World only the Way to deal with it is a bit different . So , right the Dominican Republic has also Woman you are not able to buy , but you will be surprised how many go to offer themselves every Day ........... But they are not Prostitutes.  The Dominicans Name this Country : "el Pais de las maravillas"  only think a bit about it .....................................

No one is suggesting it will "go away" just as no one is suggesting people think DR is only prostitution.

We are stating it's a problem and in some areas a big one.

The post above about for some the perception that all the DR is is prostitution is similar to other folks thinking all it is is Punta Cana. Like your only choices are Gamorrah or Disneyland. I have no interest in trading our North coast choice for PC. But, it wouldn't be bad to have a bit more of the glamorous, upscale, valuable vibe associated with the PC area in regards to the North coast.

Yes you make a good point.  There are many who think PC is the only place worth going to.  And many, like me, who can only stand 3 days of it!

For the North coast to have more of that vibe so many things would have to change.

Ditto for Punta Cana, POP/ Sosua.

It is to me sad that this beautiful intriguing country is too often identified by these two locations. And I am sure many expats have found their idea of paradise there.

But my point was that some expats who only know one area well, have become judges on all things DR including stereotyping Dominican women.

It takes forever to understand evolving DR, it's people and regions and I'm still learning.

I would think that more men have that perception of Dominican women than other women do. You only have to have eyes to see that it is a very patriarchal society.

I don't want to change that and I was aware of it (Dominican family in law) going in. It is not for me to come over there and change the culture. But even if I know the women I see are prostitutes, I don't think badly of them. I worry about whether they are being exploited. And I worry about what will happen to them when they are no longer young and beautiful. And if I ever saw a child involved I would report it.

But I sure don't condemn them for what they do. I find watching the whole process go down very interesting.

I don't concern myself worrying about the men (customers) at all. They are the ones who are the predators. Most times I feel sad for them. The husband's and boyfriends concern me. I think that is where the crime and abuse is.

The evolution will be a process for sure. I look forward to watching it all take place. We did not buy there to resell or rent so our perspective is probably a bit different.

No one is judging those who choose or were forced into this life.  No one has the right to judge.

We do have the right to judge the legalities and the "other" effects. For example when they get aggressive, when it is not controlled as to where and how. When it involves minors. When drugs are involved or  it slides into other illegal activities!

I have reported this behavior when i have seen men with clearly underage girls, you bet I did and will again.

Prostitution is not illegal.  And in my opinion should not be.  It does need to be controlled and regulated.  By the way "pimping" is illegal. I dont know the right word for that....LOL

The Problem is Prostitution is not illegal and not legal it is in a grey zone like in many other Countries . Pimping or taking benefit from Third put in into Prostitution no matter if forced or not is illegal It names sexual exploitation. The Point there is that one Person make a benefit out of a Human selling her Body. We do see in Europe where Prostitution is legal and Prostitutes have right sexual exploitation is lowered and pimps do not have a good chance there in the Clubs or Eros Centers because they are watching over it . Things have changed since prostitution is legal but ruled . There are areas where it is simply allowed there are Clubs and Eros Centers where the State controls and have given a Permit . All this does not exist here in the Dominican Republic . But Things have also changed In 1996 the Woman I have met in Sosua and I did help from time to Time sometimes only being a Friend did often wanted to get out of the Prostitution . Many of them did Dream to find a good Man and to have a good Family with them . I did know a big Number of Woman who came from the Country Site being single Mothers and being left alone with their Problems . Gold diggers have been also in there but really a very view .  Right now the Picture is different most Woman are not having that difficult Live at "Home" but want to have more Material Goods . Most are not interested in having a Gringo as partner but interested in find a dump Idiot (Pendejo) who does buy them everything . In Sosua if you look around and you look well there are Woman pimping Woman not Man It is the same all over the Country . Woman want to have a better material Status ; better Phones , better Cloth, not to forget have their Nails and Hairs done many Times as possible. and having Cars and Houses and of Course MONEY . But not anymore for the Family but mostly for them or the Worst the Pimp .El Papi Chulo does not work he let work . Things are changing . Drugs? well Drug Points are everywhere the North Coast is not very different there and this is one of the biggest Problems of this Country because in most Areas Authorities do not act against Drug dealers they benefit from the Drug Barons who do their Biz without many Problems . It is like it is : El Pais de las Maravillas . Live in a Country where are less ruling more or less everybody can do what he wants has his Cost . I had a talk to one of my Friends from Great Britain last Days and we did agree that we have not seen in this Country that many Fights you can see every night in Europe and I am sure in the US is the same . I am happy that I can be here living in peace have nobody watching me or telling me what I have to do (but staying always with the Law ) and let everybody find his own little space here in this paradise . Nobody says a Paradise is perfect .........

I agree in terms of this being a grey area.  I believe if you legalize it fully,  regulate it and as in most countries where it's legal, tax it.  Then you take away most of the abuses.  You make this safer for both parties! 

The drug issue is much more predominant in this area.  Goes with the territory.

Sosua is home to many expats and some are regulars on this forum. It had and will always have potential but in the opinions of many Dominicans, got stuck in a rut with an unfortunate image.

I wonder everyday how DR will change post covid19, but perhaps the places where change will be greatest will be in some tourist areas.

Until there is a vaccine, social distancing is going to be with us, like it or not, and that will affect many businesses much more than others. A small resort like Sosua (Boca Chica too), rely heavily on a guesthouse, bar, club and restaurant scene with independent travellers in the main and of course the company of working girls. Independent travellers are much harder to monitor and control compared to those in All Inclusive Resorts.

It appears to me, that bars, clubs, discos and current restaurant set ups will not work in the post covid19 era. Case in point, South Korea opened up bars recently and now have a second wave.

Sosua has a new mayor and maybe his plan was to reverse some of the controls in the town in relation to sex tourism, but covid19 came along. Where will he now go?

Are business owners thinking about this new dynamic and planning to adapt to the new reality?

Example, cheap hotel rooms for short term hire could be a breeding ground for the virus. The cabana model of short relationships avoids contact with anybody other than your partner and loads of bleach is used cleaning the rooms after each hire. Time to adapt?

Sosua has a very good beach and I wonder can this be refreshed like some of the beaches in the South West with new facilities for vendors and timber board walks - I'm thinking of Los Patos for example.

Change has ben forced on Sosua by covid 19. Can it adapt and develop for the better?

Thoughts.....

all good questions,  not sure anyone is thinking this completely through!

Speaking as a student of man's relationship to contagion for the 48+ years since I have graduated in biology...

Absent a vaccine, we are in for a long haul. Three years at best, and that's if we get a vac.

# of successful vac's for coronaviruses in humans thus far? 0

I'm planning on moving down in a few months.  Wish me luck! 

Everything I had stateside is going or gone, faster for me than most, as I worked in the stripper well industry and we are beyond destroyed in the area where I live.

Think: "What if I lived in an area where we grew 99% corn and turned our money over 15X in the local economy and suddenly corn wouldn't grow any more?"  That's us but we harvested oil instead of corn.  We are only 50% to 'breakeven'.

The only local auto dealer remaining is down to part days, some of the week, weekdays only.

Yep.