Package expectations

Hi there,
We are a family of 4, currently in middle East. My wife and I and two toddlers who will be starting pre-school soon. I'm from Europe, wife is from Russia. I've been offered an opportunity in Kuala Lumpur, and I've been told to name my price.

In Dubai, we have free school spaces for the kids, annual flights for all and insurance too, as well as living in a good area near the beach. We have a good salary and a comfortable lifestyle (we get a good holiday once a year, and enjoy a good shopping session, and eat out in a few times a week) In addition, I get a month's salary for every year I work as a gratuity when I leave.

All I've been told is that company will provide accommodation then move to an allowance after a year, and kids places are covered at school. My wife will take entry level position with me too.

For a comfortable western expat lifestyle, what is the ballpark amount I should ask for? How much allowance and what other clauses should I insist on to have similar living standard to now?

The cost of living in Malaysia is probably not as high as in Dubai, but I would ask for at least the same you are earning now if not more. Expat salaries vary enormously. Extras that you perhaps could ask for is a car and a maid.

Thanks for that - really helpful. Gives me a good starting point

Cost of living in Malaysia is gettng way too high so assume same as Dubai. The economy is also looking very fragile so job security is an issue.

Any decent package will be same net after tax USD pay plus 12,000 RM housing allowance and offer of school places at top end schools like ISKL. Less than this maybe Dubai is better bet in this economic slump.

Also you may need breathing masks for your kids. KL has many issues with air quality and pollution. That health cost is hard to quantify!