Expat Health insurance - Brazil

Hi all,

Please can you recommend any health insurance providers for expats in Brazil, what are the rough costs and requirements for taking out this type of insurance?

Thanks in advance,

Ikexplorer

Hi Ikexplorer,

Try to get a free quote here: https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/sout … ca/brazil/

Ikexplorer
I recommend searching available networks in your city of residence. Amil, Unimed and others.
Once you arrive get a CPF (or you can obtain CPF at Consulate) and register for SUS (BR Gov Health plan). Once here begin search for private insurance.
There are Expat Health plans, but remember these are "out of pocket" plans, which you pay the Dr/hospital then submit the bills for reimbursement. (Wait for money and my have to answer questions). A few may have agreements with certain hospitals, but the hospitals may not be close.
Cannot give you a quote, due to you need to have examinations and some plans exclude pre existing conditions for 2 years and age is a factor.

We use Hapvida, which is probably the biggest network in the North and Northeast.   They operate on an HMO basis, where you see their doctors and use their facilities whenever possible, and they make outside referrals only if they don't offer a service themselves.  That helps control costs, but it's not to everyone's liking.
Pricing is based on age, with annual increases capped by the Government.   Pricing is fixed at around age 63, and after that can only go up by the annual increase;  some plans will not accept new members at or above that agr.
Ask around among local Brazilians about which companies are good.  It's very regional, and one that's excellent in Belo Horizonte or São Paulo may be mediocre or worse in Salvador.
As Tex recommends, get your SUS card ASAP.  Once you're in Brazil you're covered, but it speeds your treatment.   You'll want it for emergencies, and for vaccinations, etc.

I'm still in planning stage, anticipating a move to Governador Valadares next (US) spring. I understand that to get a retiree visa, I'll need to prove I have health insurance. Looking into the link here on Expat. It appears to be only Cigna's plan. (Unless I missed something?) What extent of coverage do you recommend? I have US Medicare + Plan C (w/ Rx coverage) here in US. A friend recommended I try to get hospital coverage for Brazil, maybe the others aren't worth it?  I am very healthy, on no meds, no pre-existing conditions. Is there any problem for expats to get policies generally available to Brazilians?  I know costs will vary depending on age and other factors, but I'm trying to get a handle on what my monthly expenses will be.  Right now, it appears health insurance will run me 2-3 x the cost of my apartment, even with $750 deductible and 20% cost-sharing, $2000 max. Is that your experience?  Thanks for your input!

First, you will not get insurance in BR until you get the visa. So Cigna or other health care insurance may be a stop-gap. Keep in mind that you will pay out of pocket and submit for re-reimbursement, which takes time.
Once you get your visa/CRNM you need to check your area for plans. Local plans may be cheaper, but there are other plans.
Many plans will exclude prior injuries and whatnot for 2 years.
After you have your visa, you should sign up with SUS. This is the government plan and presently overwhelmed. Lines are long.
I have a plan which is not R$1600 per month. Others here have found less in their areas.
Good luck

We used Cigna as a stopgap.  It will get you your visa, but it's largely an indemnity plan:  you pay upfront, and they reimburse you.
My suggestion would be the same as Tex's:  get your visa with Cigna, then shop for a local plan as soon as you arrive.  There are exclusion periods, but if you're in good health, that's probably a risk you can afford to take.  For hospitalization,  ward ("enfermaria") plans are much cheaper than private room ("apartamento") plans; that's what I have.
While the regulations say that your visa is good for two years, with option to renew, I would maintain a local private health plan for at least the first two years, and not endanger your renewal by relying on SUS.  Let's see how things work out.

Thank you both. Sounds like the way to go. I appreciate your input.