Just for fun: History of China

Hello everyone,

Whether you're a history buff or not, here's a chance to learn about the history of China. Below are a few trivia questions to test whether you have the correct facts.

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in China
2. What is the name of the national anthem? When and by whom was it created?
3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures
4. When is the national day celebrated in China?
5. Which are the most important turning points in the Chinese history?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in China

The Great Wall  of China, the Terra-cotta soldiers, and finally  the Forbidden City.

2. What is the name of the national anthem? When and by whom was it created?

The official national anthem of China is titled, "March of the Volunteers" (义勇军进行曲, yìyǒngjūn jìnxíngqǔ). It was written in 1935 by the poet and playwright, Tian Han, and the composer, Nie Er.

3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures

Chairman mao tse tung and Doctor Sun Yat-sen

4. When is the national day celebrated in China?
October 1

5. Which are the most important turning points in the Chinese history?

1911 Revolution to become a Republic, and 1949 second revolution to take over the destiny of China by the communists.

I would agree with all of the above except for #5,

Here's why:

If we are talking about Modern China then 1911 and 1949 are correct...but if we look at what began those two iconic moments in Chinese history you need to go back to the 1st and 2nd Opium Wars.  I believe those events were truly what began to change China into what it has become. 

Just my opinion since this last question could have many answers since it is really so open ended.

Very interesting view point, I will definitely look into it, to see how the the Opium pushers and dealers wars, forged the mind of the Chinese almost 100 years after to give birth to the Chinese republic , indeed it looks logical, even though it was slow...

Read the book "The Opium War" by Julia Lovell  it's one of the best books on this topic and written from a very neutral POV

I will, thank you for the kind suggestion Julia Lovell, that will my next next in line.-:)