Just for fun: History of Cambodia

Hello everyone,

Whether you're a history buff or not, here's a chance to learn about the history of Cambodia. Below are a few trivia questions to test whether you have the correct facts.

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in Cambodia
2. What is the name of the national anthem? When and by whom was it created?
3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures
4. When is the national day celebrated in Cambodia?
5. Which are the most important turning points in the Cambodian history?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Hi Diksha,

1. Name 3 iconic monuments/structures in Cambodia
- Angkor Wat
- Ta Phrom
- Royal Palace (Phnom Penh; although it's probably not that iconic)

2. What is the name of the national anthem? When and by whom was it created?
- no idea

3. Name 2 eminent national historical figures
- Pol Pot (for all the wrong reasons)
- Noridom Sihanouk

4. When is the national day celebrated in Cambodia?
- no idea

5. Which are the most important turning points in the Cambodian history?
- The Khmer Rouge war
- The return of government to Khmer rule after the Vietnamese "government" left the country
- The death of Noridom Sihanouk (because after that, the King became a figurehead rather than a ruler who fought the P.M. on certain laws)

Just for fun;
Iconic; Angkor Wat, Koh Ker & Phnom Kulen
Anthem; Nokor Reach by Chuon Nath
Figures; Jayavaraman V11 & Norodum Sihanouk
National Day 9Nov
Turning points; God King 802
                             Independance from France 1953
                              Norodum Sihanouk
                              Khmer Rouge & Pol Pot
                              Victory Day 1979
                               UNTAC

I'm impressed , I've been here 5 years and I should be more up on this so I'm impressed and embarrassed, all at once

Ha ha ha! Busy working I guess so we can't do everything!
Shaz

I would love to have a excuse, but I'm retired don't work don't really do anything, one would think they would educate themselves on their surroundings! Evidently not me

How do you keep yourself busy, if you don't mind me asking?
I am terrified of retirement!
Shaz

Omg it's a question I get asked a lot, I get out of bed at 5 am and do 100 push-ups,  I run a 5k every morning around Vietnam memorial, I go to coffee , I eat a 2$ breakfast on 172 veg omelette with drink 2$ , I go back to my apartment read what our crazed president is doing, ( I'm from USA) so now you understand the crazed part, I read two - four newspapers, I go out for a bike ride early afternoon, visit a few friends mostly tuk tuk drivers, sometimes sit on riverside have a glass of iced tea, I come back to my apartment, in the early evening I have a beer on the riverside watch traffic and people , some days I get a 12$ bus to Saigon hang out here a few days, I'm only a one beer a day kind of guy, after one beer I ride my bike home around 6 eat either go out or I cook , I usually am in bed watching you tube by 8 go to sleep around 10, maybe this sounds boring to you, gosh on paper sounds boring to me, ha , but I do go to vung tau in Vietnam once a month stay at a 10$ a night hotel on the beach, free breakfast, run on the beach visit Thailand ( don't really like Thailand) I go back to USA for two months a year, so I just do something or nothing, but I'm never bored, if I think I'm getting bored I remind myself , no where to go or I don't have to be anywhere, and I'm thankful I don't have a job everyday I smile to myself about that, I moved out of my family home at 15, so I've worked too long , I am willing to go or do anything but work, that's my life, but I must tell you not one day goes by I'm not thankful that I do not have to be at a job, I live alone I'm 62 pretty happy , I love cambodia I will never leave

Wow you fill your days up well!

Three iconic monuments in Cambodia ;

1. Of course, ANgkor Wat.
2. Royal Palace
3. Toul Sleng Genocide Museum

@twinsguy20  so you live in Vietnam but loves Cambodia? LOL

Girlfriend in Vietnam so what men will do for women ha , I spend equal time in each country, but personally I like cambodia

Ok, I just reread your post and now fully understood your routines.  :D Doesn't sound boring at all!