Cholula vs. San Cristobal de las Casas

For anyone who has visited both or even just one of these cities, do you think it would be a good place to retire for a solo person?

The more I think about retiring in Mexico the more I realize i would rather retire to a place that has a more temperate climate rather than just being hot all the time somewhere on the coast.

Both of these cities seem to have pleasant days and very cool nights, which I don't mind as long as I have an electric blanket (or if I meet a special someone to snuggle with LOL!).

Anyway, if anyone has been and can post their thoughts, I would be grateful!

Halfwaytree wrote:

For anyone who has visited both or even just one of these cities, do you think it would be a good place to retire for a solo person?

The more I think about retiring in Mexico the more I realize i would rather retire to a place that has a more temperate climate rather than just being hot all the time somewhere on the coast.

Both of these cities seem to have pleasant days and very cool nights, which I don't mind as long as I have an electric blanket (or if I meet a special someone to snuggle with LOL!).

Anyway, if anyone has been and can post their thoughts, I would be grateful!

It depends on when that retirement is happening. Right now Cholula would be way to close to Mexico and Puebla for my tastes. and Cristobal is only 3 or 4 hours from Michoacan which is having really major problems due to the green gold ( avocados) they are very profitable and the cartels are aware of that. Mexico and the U.S are working on GMO avocados, but that would be several years down the line because they grow slowly.

If I were you I would just keep an eye on the situation.  Recently 14 police were killed in Michoacan territory. I would rather be hot than deal with that. Do you read and or speak Spanish, if so watch the current news trends about possible problems.

Hi "Halfwaythere", personally, I have travelled amd visited both areas a few years ago (San Cristobal last 2009, Puebla 2012).

San Crisobal can be quite cold in winter and a good drive from the Oaxaca coast.
Puebla in warmer in winter than San Cristobal
But in both cases could be warm and hot in summer, San Cristobal has quite the rainfall also.

In both cases, like "travellight" said, you most speak Spanish and the areas have change over time so in my personal case I prefer my Nayarit coast.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

I know what  you mean about not wanting to be hot all the time.  I spent a couple of weeks in San Cristobal de las Casa in 2017 but have not been to Cholula.
I speak some Spanish but am not fluent, I did have to use it quite a lot but never felt stuck.  People are very kind.  It is cold at night in winter, not just pleasantly cool. You will need that electric blanket and electric tower heaters are common.
If the arts, crafts and textiles interest you, it's a wonderful spot.  I   saw some things going on there that I haven't seen elsewhere in Mexico, including more folk art from recycled materials, which I find fascinating. They have an excellent textile museum.  I encountered  some other  tourists but not many expats.  That's not to say they aren't there though. 
There was a bit of political unrest while I was there but it wouldn't put me off returning.
Another high elevation city I love is Oaxaca.  I have been there a few times, most recently in 2017.  I am currently spending 2 months just outside San Miguel de Allende to check it out as a longer stay place.