Moving to England in Dec'19 End

Hi Folks

I am a female residing in Delhi, India currently and got an offer letter from London and will be relocating to UK on 29th Dec'19. It will be great if someone can guide me on below points:

1) I need to stay in East Central London (EC4N) for a week and then will move to client location of which I am not sure as my manager is not sure of it as of now. I am looking for a cheap and best temporary location near by to office probably for a week, preferring one private room with a family or females instead of hotel so that I can talk to someone and get a company to roam around london on new year eve :)

2) What should I carry along with from India as it will winters so shall I carry blankets from here itself or anything special want to suggest me...for cooking I am thinking of carrying rice cooker initially...

Any other advice or suggestion is heatedly welcomed.

Appreciate your help!!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

AirBnB is probably your best bet, or perhaps a Premier Inn; you can use Google to find those, although, at that time of year in London, it won't be cheap.

Winter weather in London can vary between mild to cold; I'd bring a winter coat and shoes, you'll look kind of weird walking around wrapped in blankets.  As for a rice cooker; we do have them in the UK and you could probably make better use of your 20 kg baggage allowance.

One word of advice, you haven't told us what kind of job you're coming to and there is absolutely no reason why you should, but a lot of people are getting scammed being offered jobs in the UK; suffice to say, unless the job is in the highly skilled-migrant category, or one of the short-term au-pair roles, be very careful.  Under no circumstances should you have to pay anybody for a job or visa.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi female from Dehli😊
Hope you got answers to your questions?
Firstly I'm asian male so staying with me may be a
N😁 N😂
(🙏 you find a place)
Don't bring cooker if you're living with family/female.
Wear thermal under clothing
and wooly hat+gloves.
(you can't wear a blanket to work😁😂)

I live in Ilford East London
If I can I'm here to help.

Regards
Zulfikar

Moderated by Christine 4 years ago
Reason : for security reason, please exchange your private contact via your private message system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

You can buy everything you need in London, but if you want to bring things because they are cheaper in India then sure, bring the rice cooker. I think in India they have those inexpensive lightweight rice cookers. Bring warm clothing and blankets, a thick jacket and sweater, gloves, thermal underwear, hats and a scarf. Basically everything in the UK is going to be a lot more expensive than in India. You can find most Indian spices easily in the UK, but if saffron is cheap in India then why not bring some or some other favorites.