Negotiating salary and benefits in Thailand

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in Thailand can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Thailand? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Thailand?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Thailand or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

In my opinion, Thailand does not offer good job prospects for foreigners.  For the Thai people yes.  Better not to get any illusions. However, every fortune is temporary and will always have a very strong competition from other countries surrounding the ASEAN. Better not to live of dreams and to know which difficulties (very high) the work for foreigners entails. Thailand is great for holiday not for job seeker.

Yes,I'm agree and thailand employers didn't spend you for working visa they will pay only half and half for the employee...and it is not fair for foreigner employee...

Most of the time, negotiating salaries depend on the degree of those who want to work in Thailand. I think salary is not what people have in mind when they work abroad in Thailand, in my opinion, people leave their country because they are tired of working without having the satisfaction of being rewarded for their efforts. When you pay more than half your income in taxes, mostly to make corrupted politicians even richer, you are indeed attracted to a country in which you don't have to pay those. It's better to earn less but keep everything rather than earn more but struggle the rest of the month lest you are not able to pay the bills and taxes.