Negotiating salary and benefits in Qatar

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in Qatar can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Qatar? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Qatar?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Qatar or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

I would negotiate my package monthly based on the market and the previous salary I was getting .
Housing allowance is important and  School allowance  since housing and  school fees are expensive at Qatar .
No I don't have to return any TAX , but we don't get any pension plan in Qatar so we have to plan our plan .

the sad news about salary negotiation is you cant get jumps in salary unless you do it during hiring/resigning only

compulsory benefits,
medical insurance and end of service
and you have to consider a good basic salary (should 51% of total salary, but some companies use the employees ignorance)  it is your pension compensation although its not equivalent

common included benefits,
housing,sometimes included in salary
transportation and telecommunication (minor amounts and optional )
schooling and if you are smart you get the best out of it

accommodation is very expensive must be considered in your backage or butter to mention it by company family furnished accommodation including water and electricity
-2nd issue you have to consider is the school fees for your kids min 40.000 qr/year/kid

you have to write everything in your contract even Bonus and gratuity if required

-Doha very secured and good place especially for families

Thanks and best regards
Mahmoud

Most companies have already a fixed basic salary according to grade..and all other allowances e.g. accomodation, transport e.t.c are fixed to according to grade so negotiations may not have a place

For me it's good salary +a comodation +free ticket every 3 months

Only if you have a choice to negotiate !  :thanks:

@Bhavna

There is no negotiation of salary in Qatar. What you get in start is what you get at end. Even if you live million years they never give you passport. You apply gov job. Benefits in government are good you can bring your husband or wife. I know people earning 1500 and bringing family with some links. Nurses, Security in gov give house for family.