Negotiating salary and benefits in Oman

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in Oman can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Oman? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Oman?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Oman or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Hi Bhavna,

Initially we must knew a little bit about the organization where you are going to commence your carrier, and do not expect the negotiations after signing your contract or few months later of your contract as your Bosses always says that will review or will update contract terms & conditions.

Now a days a very simple excuse given by Bosses company/market condition is very poor even your company gaining profit just to get rid of the commitment Bosses are made while signing the contract.

Whatever the terms and condition you are agreeing with your Boss those MUST be in WRITING!

so you can challenge later on.

Regards,
Aftab

well in Oman no any benefits of expat staff  all benefits only for Omani i worked there in one government  instantiation more then 12 years.

all my office Omani colleague every years they are getting per motion and training while we are not getting any benefits. they treat us like slaves this happen not only me this is the main common problem with all expat staff specially in government sector and now days as well in private sector too. 

all projects and assignments will done by expat staff but credit by name of Omani. ......................... and also salary packages is also different for omani always low grade but taking high salary for example expat officer get 700 OMR salary then Omani clerk are getting more salary then expat officer.

yes Oman is tax free country i do not say all ppls are bad some of good too but average is bad.

one important thing they warm welcome only EU or UK Citizen..... lol

First I like to share the NOC Banned & New visa ban are more critics not only in Oman but also in GCC.

So once any expat joined here he/she cant move to other organization so chances of growth after that is 0%.

Now as far as salary/perks matter, as people are not moving to Oman due to omanization factor & also localized prefer to expats so outside/expats are not coming so one can take a call for good salary in advance only.

People can ask for Car, fully furnished house & also the child education.

But my feel, better to move other country as this is slow & economy not favors to expats...

Dear Bhavna,

Yes negotiation is during the hiring process.

Be sure that contract is in English language, never sign a contract which is in Arabic. ..because I m suffering this.

Write each n every point of ur interest.

Most importantly, let him write that he will gv  u NOC at the end of the contract....u must be knowing a 2 yrs ban in this regard.

They r very clever that they will write that they will be paying basic salary during ur annual leave...let them write GROSS salary instead of basic.

If they hv agreed upon some percentage on each Pt, write clearly on which procedures.

R u a Dr Bhavna?

Best of luck
Thanks

Interesting topic, First thing is very clear here in Oman or any other GCC country, that the employer know that whosoever is willing to come shall be looking for better salary than what he/she may be getting in their home country. Hence usually they start with the average salary a bit above what you are already getting. So one surely can negotiate some increase in the beginning before signing of contract. The negotiated increase shall depend on the skills shortage which are in demand. One can negotiate it by getting some info on the Jobs being offered earlier. Other benefits are not that important for most of Employers and for expats too, but these also can be negotiated depending on the demand.

The most necessary benefit one should opt for are Medical cover for whole family, cause its expensive here. Transportation & Home allowance is another important consideration.

No tax here yet but can be expected in next few years.

No ones fixed the salaries do not wary , no matter how much exchange rate benefit or loss one is experiencing.

The other thing is that expat should negotiate the Annual increase in salary as well as promotions because here the employers never consider such thing for expats.

It's a good idea to negotiate conditions and salary before signing. if you are an English user, it's good to have. a contract written in understandable and fluent English.
Teachers and maybe others need to be extremely wary of accepting of footing the bill for travel to Oman to be supposedly reimbursed later.

I want to bring my wife here. But to get a family visa, here rules telling minimum salary 300 then this time how to bring my family in here

Annual increment should be how much?
5% ? 10% ? Wat does the Omani law says?

Can anyone tell me, if one completes his 2 yrs contract successfully, will he still be requiring NOC from the employer to shift his job to another employer?
Or NOC is just required in case one wants to shift b4 the completion of 2 yrs period?

@Ubp , please see that Nationals working in the private sector in Oman are entitled to receive an annual increment 5% to 10 % in their basic salary under the law. “The mandatory salary increment is applicable only for Omani employees. As for expats, it is at the discretion of the company.
And NOC is always required to switch from one Employer to other as your VISA is issued to a particular employer hence even if you finish a contract or not,  shifting to other employer requires NOC.

Yes Atif I understand that I m on his visa, but when I complete 2 yrs..the same time visa will expire too then why would I need his NOC?
Unable to understand.

According to my understanding, at the end of 2 yrs, I can go back to my home country n sign a contract with a new company n be back.

@Ubp Visa expire does not mean visa cancel. It means it can be renewed by your company. For obtaining a Visa from different company you have to cancel the earlier visa, which requires an NOC or else you have to go back and wait for 02 years , and then can come back with Visa of another company. This is the rule.

Don't u think visa would be cancelled itself automatically in a matter of few months after exit??

These are so helpful  .
But I have a question  about medical cover in oman . Expats who work in oman can benefit from the medical  cover ?

@Ubp 02 years are required to come back having other visa, if NOC is not obtained.

@nimaparavi  Employee Medical cover is mandatory as per Oman law but some small companies try to skip this requirement. It depends how good is the company. However Employee's family medical cover is not mandatory.  But again it should be clearly negotiated and stated in the contract before signing.

Thank you for your response. I have another question .which way is better to find suitable jobs  in oman .geting a turism visa and search job or online search.how can direct contact to employers?
I would be appreciated it if you guide me .

It really would not hurt to initially study the tax laws of the country where you are going to work. This will help to avoid possible problems. Also discuss organizational issues with the employer if you already have one. If it is not then you should find in advance. Also, you need to look for a properly designed resume and on the basis of them to prepare your own. Good luck with your work.

@Atif_Hassan Thanks for your informative posts and replies. I'm new here and your posts cleared up a lot of stuff for me. Very grateful to you !!!
Take care

Hello all kindly help me with this

Is 500 OMR is acceptable salary if I got offer for Oman at this current situation ?

Im an Instrumentation Engineer with 7 Year's Experience with two years in Kuwait.