Negotiating salary and benefits in Belize

Hello everyone,

Better job prospects in Belize can most certainly be an incentive to leave your country of origin. Securing a contract with the right salary and benefits for you can be crucial to make your move successful.

Is salary and benefits negotiation regarded as common practice in Belize? If yes, how should you go about negotiating your package (during the hiring process, on a monthly/yearly basis...)?

What do you expect to be included in terms of benefits in your package? Which benefits do you deem necessary in Belize?

Is tax on the salary of an expat applicable in Belize or do you have to turn to tax bodies in your country of origin to pay your taxes?

Do the exchange rates of currencies impact your salary as an expat?

Looking back, are there some changes you would have made during the negotiation of your salary and benefits package?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Seriously there are very few Jobs available for expats., the re is little chance you will be moving to Belize because of enhancing your career. Unless you are starting a business .so rest of the questions are moot. 
Wonder if this post will remain on the forum?

Back in the day  I was offered a post with the Belize nursing council to consult around ER/ICU/Trauma care which at the time (2014) was pretty dismal.There were grim scenes at KHMH with the results of serious MVAs with really poor quality advanced care. I suspect a notch better than Syria. No rodents however at the time. I assume it hasn't improved much.  The salary was 25K usd which is poor but it did come with a house rent free in Las Lagos near BZE, a fast track to permanent residency, and a  G.O.B standard issue Toyota Prius. I didn't negotiate.  Income tax was local only. I didn't accept it because by then I was fed up with living in a corrupt 3rd world backwater. I did have lunch with the Ministers of Health, BAHA and Agro at a place in Ladyville. They only talked to each other in Spanish and  wearing dark shades and Yucatan shirts. This felt like a scene from Woody Allen's film Bananas. I should write a book.

Yay and The Susan( mexico) we recognise is back. If you write that book  as the happy ray of sunshine you are on here i am sure it will be a best seller.

Hummm, not sure many would consider moving to Belize for better job prospects. The unemployment rate in the country is high, the wages are extremely low. Perhaps if one was starting a business, you'd have some advantages of a multi lingual and lower cost work force and strong eco tourism.

not sure why Susan just doesnt move to Sinaloa.