Reitrement visa is in the works?

A writer named Rick Ellis wrote:

“Vietnam does not yet have a retirement visa program although I understand it's in the works and will appear in the coming years.”

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/city-diary/ … 49666.html

I want to ask Mr. Ellis what his “understanding” is based on. Does he have inside information? I very much want and need a retirement visa and can't wait forever.

He has the following contact info. Unfortunately I am not a member of Facebook or Linked In so can't contact him.

linkedin.com/in/rickfellis

facebook.com/GrikNomadAsia/

If someone here is interested, please contact him and ask him for the source of his information. Thanks.

hyagly256 wrote:

A writer named Rick Ellis wrote:

“Vietnam does not yet have a retirement visa program although I understand it's in the works and will appear in the coming years.”

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/city-diary/ … 49666.html

I want to ask Mr. Ellis what his “understanding” is based on. Does he have inside information? I very much want and need a retirement visa and can't wait forever.

He has the following contact info. Unfortunately I am not a member of Facebook or Linked In so can't contact him.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/rickfellishttps://www.facebook.com/GrikNomadAsia/

If someone here is interested, please contact him and ask him for the source of his information. Thanks.

Anything written by this idiot Ellis can be taken as being complete bunk. The guy is an utter moron and writes the most over the top garbage I have ever read. With the new banking laws in place, why would anyone want to retire here.

You will find this idiot on Vietnam is Awesome on Facebook, but beware, if you take him to task he will ban you from the site.

hyagly256 wrote:

I want to ask Mr. Ellis what his “understanding” is based on. Does he have inside information?

The so-called "understanding" mentioned in the article has only been a wishful thinking being passed around when a bunch of expats got together to shoot the breeze.  There's no "inside information" because it doesn't exist in the inner circle.

hyagly256 wrote:

I very much want and need a retirement visa and can't wait forever.

If retirement visa is the requirement for you to move to Vietnam, I'm afraid you'll have to wait forever.

Reply to colinoscapee:

Well, a retirement visa would make it easier to make long term fixed deposits, wouldn't it? Since they are limited by the remaining time on your visa.

hyagly256 wrote:

Well, a retirement visa would make it easier to make long term fixed deposits, wouldn't it? Since they are limited by the remaining time on your visa.

Well, Im sure Ha Noi will come up with something to kill the term deposits.

This retirement visa has been talked about for the last 15 years, I doubt very much it will happen.

Ciambella wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

I want to ask Mr. Ellis what his “understanding” is based on. Does he have inside information?

The so-called "understanding" mentioned in the article has only been a wishful thinking being passed around when a bunch of expats got together to shoot the breeze.  There's no "inside information" because it doesn't exist in the inner circle.

hyagly256 wrote:

I very much want and need a retirement visa and can't wait forever.

If retirement visa is the requirement for you to move to Vietnam, I'm afraid you DO have to wait forever.

Well it's either retirement visa or marry a VN woman to get residence permit which would probably end in divorce. And then what happens, I imagine I lose half my money (again!)

hyagly256 wrote:

Well it's either retirement visa or marry a VN woman to get residence permit which would probably end in divorce. And then what happens, I imagine I lose half my money (again!)

No, you won't. 

The Family and Marriage Law of 52/2014/QH13 indicated that private assets and properties before the union remain private when the marriage ends.  In addition, during the marriage, the couple may also acquire his/her own property.  Even property that appears to be common during the marriage (for instance, the house in which they both reside and the vehicles they both use), if agreed by the couple to be his/her separate property will not be divided when the marriage ends.

Great article for anyone thinking of retiring in Vietnam. Thank you.

Maybe not so great.

Peeweeaz1 wrote:

Maybe not so great.

Not so great if you cant have a bank account that earns  interest,you have to do border runs and setup bank accounts every three-months.

Ciambella wrote:
hyagly256 wrote:

No, you won't. 

The Family and Marriage Law of 52/2014/QH13 indicated that private assets and properties before the union remain private when the marriage ends.  In addition, during the marriage, the couple may also acquire his/her own property.  Even property that appears to be common during the marriage (for instance, the house in which they both reside and the vehicles they both use), if agreed by the couple to be his/her separate property will not be divided when the marriage ends.

REALLY? That's amazing, I had no idea the laws on divorce were so reasonable. Thanks Ciambella. This gives me another possibility. One good thing about VN (among all the negative stuff) is there's no shortage of very attractive women.

But if they have children already from a previous marriage...as would likely be the case for anyone interested in an older foreign gent, that might complicate divorce matters, no?

"But if they have children already from a previous marriage...as would likely be the case for anyone interested in an older foreign gent, that might complicate divorce matters, no?"

Why, they are not your kids.

You may be thinking too far ahead.

I just assumed I would be stuck paying for their college, etc... but I guess I was wrong.

hyagly256 wrote:

But if they have children already from a previous marriage...as would likely be the case for anyone interested in an older foreign gent, that might complicate divorce matters, no?

As Colin said, they're not your children, you don't have any obligations toward them legally.  Even with your own children, unless you're a celebrity or ultra rich, child support is not based on income or lifestyle but on actual and reasonable expenses.

Thanks Ciambella. I remember someone told me, maybe 12 years ago, that if you marry a woman with kids in VN, you have to legally adopt the kids. Maybe that was incorrect, or maybe the law changed.

hyagly256 wrote:

Maybe that was incorrect, or maybe the law changed.

It was never the law so that information was either hearsay or a hoax that people created for their own purpose.   :rolleyes:

hyagly256 wrote:

Thanks Ciambella. I remember someone told me, maybe 12 years ago, that if you marry a woman with kids in VN, you have to legally adopt the kids. Maybe that was incorrect, or maybe the law changed.

Don't believe everything you hear. People make stuff up all the time. Common sense needs to prevail when you hear things like this.