Getting a credit card if over 70 years old

I was told by my bank that I could not get a credit card because I was over the age of 70.  (Very discriminatory). I was later told that I could get one IF I opened a special account, kept 30 million rp in it that I could not touch until I decided to cancel my credit card.  Then they would give me a credit card with a 30 million rp limit.  Are there any reputable credit cards I can apply for, that have NO age restrictions ?

Which bank are you currently with? BCA?

I assume you have a KITAS or something similar. I would try speaking to all the other banks to see if they can offer you something better. I am not yet seventy but I use a mixture of local and overseas credit cards.

I think placing Rp30 million in a Fixed Deposit account is fine, it isn't a lot and you will accrue interest at a decent rate anyway, so it's not so bad.

I asked about HSBC credit cards here, and they told me I needed a billion rupiah in savings and had to spend 80 million per month in order to qualify. So I don't bother with them, and not even sure they exist in Bali anyway.

So I would just try all the banks and see if you can get a better deal.

OK thanks but I was hoping to avoid going to all the other banks to find one that will give me acard.  I was hoping someone on here already had an answer for me.

Well good luck then.

"I was told by my bank that I could not get a credit card because I was over the age of 70."

And that makes perfect business sense. 

It's impossible to get blood from a stone...so, for expats of that age and older, unless you hold accounts in the bank issuing the credit, what recourse do they have if you default or move on to your next reincarnation?  It sure in heck isn't your embassy!   :lol:

That said, if I ran a bank in Bali...I'd require a deposit account at least equal to the line of credit for any expat, regardless of age.

It's important...actually, it's essential to keep in mind what the accumulative effect that bad debt has on future debtors...(valid credit customers).  That negative effect is higher debt costs (interest and fees) to offset the loses by the "dead beats."

I have a villa and a bank account but no credit card if you are over 70!  In Canada I had no house, no car but when I turned 70, they didn't cancel my credit card!!!   I have more assets (Villa) in Bali than I do back in Canada!

Hopefully you hold the hak milik for that villa in Bali rather than a long term lease. Again, I would take up the first bank on their offer as a start. Rp30 million is a decent amount of credit to have on a card.

The long term lease is worth more than 35 million the bank wants to hold,  for them to give me a credit card.

"Your" villa in Bali is not an asset.  At best, it is nothing more than a contract for use. 

With all due respect, you need to readjust your mindset in terms of your legal rights and what are, and are not, duly held assets in your name.  Unless your name is on the Hak Milik for the land your villa sits on...from the bank's point of view, that is not an asset.  And the only way your name would be on the Hak Milik is if you are an Indonesian citizen. 

Keep your credit card in Canada.   ;)

Are you saying that the bank is willing to accept your long term lease in exchange for giving you a credit card? Even if it cost you Rp35 million I don't see it as having any value at all to a bank because they cannot dispose of the villa if you default. They would need to have the hak milik.

I really agree completely with Ubudian's comments.

Ok thanks.  My credit card in Canada can only be renewed if I pick it up in Canada and phone the bank to activate it.  That would be a $2000 expense just to renew my credit card.  I will probably have to give in to their rules, but it is still age discrimination!

"The long term lease is worth more than 35 million the bank wants to hold,  for them to give me a credit card."

To any bank...your lease is worthless.  How can the bank "hold your lease?"  The answer is, they can't.  Your lease is a contract between you and the lessor...period.  The bank (short of holding the land certificate...Hak Milik), would have nothing that they could liquidate in order to repay your loan if in default.

"My credit card in Canada can only be renewed if I pick it up in Canada and phone the bank to activate it.  That would be a $2000 expense just to renew my credit card."

If your bank in Canada isn't able to Fed Ex your new credit card to you (for $40 or so bucks), then you might consider a new bank in Canada as well!  :)

I'm in the happy position of having absolutely no need for a credit card. I suppose one could be handy if they offer insurance on flights or whatever, but that's about it.

I have the same problem with a credit card issued by a UK bank, I need to return to the UK to activate it otherwise it's useless and no way to activate it from here. So annoying.  Fortunately I have credit cards from other banks in Asia.

When I first moved to Indonesia my bank wouldn't give me a credit card, but after a year or so they offered me one and then another even with no proof of income. I am not 70 years of age. I do not know how long you have been in Bali, but maybe having a good and active transaction record will make a difference and perhaps they will reconsider in the future. Banks like to see a very active savings account.

Thanks for the clarification and another law I didn't know about.  I stupidly thought a bank would have access to one's assets in Indonesia if you couldn't pay your credit card debt.  I also stupidly thought they might give me a credit card knowing my income but they want nothing to do with old people.  They are a liability because they die!

Mine has been very active for 4 years!

"I stupidly thought a bank would have access to one's assets in Indonesia if you couldn't pay your credit card debt."

They can...but those assets have to be those which are legally in your name...like a bank account. 

Your lease is NOT an asset (from the bank's position). 

What you are talking about has NOTHING to do with age discrimination.

My advice is that assuming you have the Rp30 million in cash available, then put it into a Fixed Deposit account with your bank and get the credit card. It seems reasonable. At the same time, you could still check around with other banks. Who knows, they might offer you a better deal.

So if I die, the property sits empty for the remainder of the lease?  It can't be re-sold to use the money to pay off debts.  OK, I get it!  Thanks for that clarification!  I have a lot to learn.

In many countries they don't stop giving you a credit card because of your age!

My wife was at BCA bank yesterday and she asked the manager if her western husband could get a credit card if I opened an account with them. He told her that I'd need to have the account for one year afterwhich they would give me a credit card. The manager didn't ask about my age. I will probably open an account there next week.

"So if I die, the property sits empty for the remainder of the lease?  It can't be re-sold to use the money to pay off debts.  OK, I get it!  Thanks for that clarification!  I have a lot to learn."

If the lease is solely in your name, and you die...the lease is expired at the time of your death.  If I was the lessor...I'd have it re-leased as quickly as possible.

One exception to this would be a Hak Pakai lease (which you can look up for yourself).

"My wife was at BCA bank yesterday and she asked the manager if her western husband could get a credit card if I opened an account with them. He told her that I'd need to have the account for one year afterwhich they would give me a credit card. The manager didn't ask about my age. I will probably open an account there next week."

Yup.  My Balinese wife and I have several accounts with BCA...as well as a combined Platinum VISA account where the account is in her name, and I have a card in my name.

As you say...age has nothing to do with this.

I am very happy for both of you!!!   I can't get a credit card with my Mandiri Bank because of my age!!!!  Read my lips!  It has everything to do with my age!  I will not reply anymore because you are of no help to me.  Enjoy using your credit card with your name on it!

"Enjoy using your credit card with your name on it!"

Thanks, but in reality, the card sits in my desk and I only use it once or twice a year for large internet transactions. 

An old Yankee saying comes to mind..."you can lead a horse to water, but you can never force it to drink."

Good luck!   :cheers:

The good thing is that the OP is using TransferWise. Secondly, I use my local Debit card far more than I use my credit card. I generally use the credit card when traveling but not that much when in Indonesia. But it is good to have them nevertheless.

I looked at a credit card because some hotel booking sites won't accept debit cards but I can't be bothered to apply for one as it would get so little use. It seems I can have one with no yearly fees now as the bank gave me a priviledge debit card  but that still isn't enough to make me care enough to fill out the form.
I may have to travel again soon but only to a couple of cities so, if that happens, I'll either build a tiny house in each place or just rent a kos.
Either way, no flights and no hotels so the only reasons I have for a credit card are dead.

I suppose the best way to look at this is, do you actually need a card, or is it something you feel you're supposed to have because other people have them?