Rice milk or almond milk?

I can't drink milk and water and musli don't mix.  Anywhere close to the Budapest city center I can buy some rice or almond milk?

Thanks!

Most supermarkets carry different kinds of lactose free milk-substitutes made of soy ("szója") or rice ("rizs") at astronomical prices. Look for "Laktózmentes tej".

Hi
I found a place that does freely squeezed Goats milk, which the stomach can digest more easily. Go to the small cheese stall in the market at Rakoczi ter (behind the construction site for Metro 4), but I would also like to get hold of either rice or almond milk -  I need to avoid soya, so will keep an eye on this forum in case someone knows something.

Zabz

petewsh61 wrote:

I can't drink milk and water and musli don't mix.  Anywhere close to the Budapest city center I can buy some rice or almond milk?

Thanks!

There's a very interesting shop in the cellar of the market next to Freedom Bridge (opposite side of the river to the Gellert Hotel). They have all sorts of stuff down there - rice wine, saki, chinese spices, dried octopus, even Japanese beer etc so there's a chance they might have rice or almond milk (although I've never heard of such a thing).

Hi

For years I have avoided milk in drinks and on cereals. I usually use a fruit juice on my muesli such as apple or fruits of the forest, all easily and readily available in Tesco or metro. I now make my own granola for breakfast and then add fruit and juice. If you want the recipe, let me know, it is easy to make.

Milk alternatives seem to be readily available in the health food stores here and sometimes in Tesco or Interspa.

Cheers

What about the asian spice shop downstairs at central market?  They seem to stock a lot of things you don't get in the general supermarket. Pricy though.  The the really big supermarkets seem to stock most things - the smaller ones don't.  I still struggle for cranberry juice!

Oh, and rice milk is supposed to be pretty easy to make, google for recipes.
Edit:
On the lighter side, this:
http://xkcd.com/641/
And more recently this:
http://www.warehousecomic.com/comic_669.php

Thanks for all the replies!

Peter, almost every CBA, Match supermarket to name just the small brands store organic/bio products including almond/rice milk.
Happy search

Hollycat, I saw Ocean Spray Cranberry juice on a cold shelf in Match. But you can not find it all the time....you have to keep looking....

Thanks girlie - its weird with the cranberry juice.  As you say, sometimes it is just there in one of the smallest of stores (usually snapped up quickly! ) Even big tesco's like at arena plaza often don't have it. Its so expensive here it is just a treat for me

Hi

I realise you may already have your answer but I stumbled over rice milk (Rizstej) and oat milk (Zabtej), not sure if they have almond milk, in DM at Boraros ter now called Harmincketesek ter on tram 4/6, other DM stores may also stock it.

If I stumble over Canberry juice I'll let you know Hollycat.

Z