Any downside to VEC over TRC?

I can get a VEC or TRC based on either either my marriage or because of the company that I own in Vietnam.  I have a work permit exemption from the VN government that is valid for two years as a business investor, not worker which allows me to take an income from this company.

Is there any downside to the VEC other than the requirement to leave every 180 days?  That isn't really an issue for me as I go back to the US every 2 months. 

Benefits for the VEC appear to be 5 years instead of 3 and lower total cost, not that it affects the decision much.

I understand that either would be limited to 6 months shy of the expiration of my passport which won't affect me this time.  Will either the VEC or TRC be limited by the two year work permit exemption?  Similar to my drivers license, it was limited to both the expiration of my current visa and current driver's license, whichever was sooner.

This also begs the question - would my new replacement driver's license be extended to the term of the TRC or VEC, two, three or five years, depending on which I get?

I'm going to be here for another 12-18 months and then move back to the US with my wife and her daughter for four years until she graduates from high school in the US.  At that time I will retire and we will spend around 6 months in Vietnam in the winter and 6 in the US somewhere for the summer.

When we move back to the US I'll be traveling much more sporadically to Vietnam.  I won't have a residence here for that four years unless we keep the house that my wife owns here and I could transfer my residence address to that house and register with the police.  Would that have any impact on having a TRC since I wouldn't actually be living in Vietnam?  I assumed this made the VEC a more desirable choice.

What say those of you who are knowledgeable about these things?

SteinNebraska wrote:

I can get a VEC or TRC based on either either my marriage or because of the company that I own in Vietnam.  I have a work permit exemption from the VN government that is valid for two years as a business investor, not worker which allows me to take an income from this company.

Is there any downside to the VEC other than the requirement to leave every 180 days?  That isn't really an issue for me as I go back to the US every 2 months. 

Benefits for the VEC appear to be 5 years instead of 3 and lower total cost, not that it affects the decision much.

I understand that either would be limited to 6 months shy of the expiration of my passport which won't affect me this time.  Will either the VEC or TRC be limited by the two year work permit exemption?  Similar to my drivers license, it was limited to both the expiration of my current visa and current driver's license, whichever was sooner.

This also begs the question - would my new replacement driver's license be extended to the term of the TRC or VEC, two, three or five years, depending on which I get?

I'm going to be here for another 12-18 months and then move back to the US with my wife and her daughter for four years until she graduates from high school in the US.  At that time I will retire and we will spend around 6 months in Vietnam in the winter and 6 in the US somewhere for the summer.

When we move back to the US I'll be traveling much more sporadically to Vietnam.  I won't have a residence here for that four years unless we keep the house that my wife owns here and I could transfer my residence address to that house and register with the police.  Would that have any impact on having a TRC since I wouldn't actually be living in Vietnam?  I assumed this made the VEC a more desirable choice.

What say those of you who are knowledgeable about these things?

The marriage VEC would be more beneficial seeing that you enter and exit a lot. The TRC is better if you are wanting to staying long term without leaving. I have had both, the TRC is better for me as I dont exit the country as often as you do. Your driving license will also be subject to your visa, therefor, a VEC would be better.

Thanks, that is the way i was seeing it, just wanted to be sure i am not missing something.

I just renewed my TRC, I thought about the VEC but can't be arsed doing border runs. VEC is great for people such as yourself.

Two opportunities, both with 2-year TRC renewable indefinitely came my way recently.  I was tempted for about 15 minutes then decided not to accept. 

As Colin said above, VEC is better for those among us who exit the country often.  Same as you, we travel quite a bit more than twice a year.  The only thing TRC has to offer is that we don't need to check the calendar to make sure our trips are close to the 6 month marks.  That's not much of a benefit comparing to having a visa that lasts 5 years.

This thread was full of good advice, until (during COVID lockdowns) the government made it clear that VEC holders are not considered residents, as are TRC holders.

If Ciambella were still active on the forum she could relate the increasing cost of what would eventually be monthly extension fees AND the nasty treatment she began receiving from local immigration officials in Bà Rịa–Vũng Tàu.

As Andy has noted in this thread (link to post), it's now becoming clear that the VEC may not be the best choice for those wanting long-term drivers licenses in Vietnam.

Also, I recall reading MANY accounts of VEC holders being denied entry into Vietnam during COVID times.

Did anyone read or hear about a TRC holder being denied reentry during those times?

(Normally I wouldn't update a dormant thread, but there's so much good thinking expressed here, it seems a good idea to consider this "VEC or TRC?" question in historical context.)

Meanwhile, my new 3-year TRC will be ready for pickup on Monday morning (12 September) here in Hanoi.