Civil Partnership in Hungary for same-sex couples.

Hello!

My life partner is a non-EU citizen and I am a Hungarian citizen, we are a same-sex couple. However, I never lived in Hungary just visited a few times. We will be living together in Greece shortly and are planning to take our relationship to the next level and enter a civil partnership or get married.

Can anyone guide me on how to get a civil partnership in Hungary if neither of us is residing there?

Also, we can get a partnership in Greece but I was wondering if Hungary can recognize this certificate and let us reside if we ever decide to want to settle down in my home country.

And the third option is getting married in Denmark but after doing some research about the process it seems that they changed their laws in April 2019 and it's not as smooth was it was before.

I really want to marry my partner or enter a civil partnership. So I am asking you guys in case you have any insight or similar experience as our situation to please let me know. Even a tiny detail can come handy :)

Thank you!

It's a great question.   

Hungary is currently one of the most backward nations as far as LGBTI people are concerned but it is improving.  Unfortunately, it's in the constitution that marriage is between men and women only.

That said, same-sex marriages or civil partnerships conducted abroad ARE supposedly recognised here in HU but no-one has ever posted here to my knowledge to say something definitive about their experiences here.  I do recall perhaps there was a guy on here once who was asking about marrying his boyfriend but you'd have to search for it to find out the conclusion. 

In other discussions here, we've had a couple of links posted which might help you find the answer.

Try here: Hatter Organisation - they can probably tell you something about it.

Don't forget that there was a ruling recently on this very question at the ECJ (click here) and  it is now law that your non-EU spouse must be treated equally regardless of gender or orientation.   

This was a key statement:

"Although the member states have the freedom whether or not to authorise marriage between persons of the same sex, they may not obstruct the freedom of residence of an EU citizen by refusing to grant his same-sex spouse, a national of a country that is not an EU Member State, a derived right of residence in their territory," the court said.

Any EU country marriage is recognised in another EU country as is all the EU member state generated paperwork (although they might ask for a translation).

I don't know about Greece but here in HU, it's not that easy but it's worth noting that only civil offices can marry people here - although actual marriage is not available to you here in HU. 

You might want to consider getting married in the UK.  There is very little you need do there to actually get married and it's all very routine now - best place is Brighton (it's the gay capital of the UK).  You could arrange it and be done with it in as short a time as 3 or 4 weeks.  And it'd be legally accepted (notwithstanding Brexit) everywhere.     

BTW, if you speak Hungarian, you'll have a much easier time with the authorities than someone who doesn't.

Good luck!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Hungary is currently one of the most backward nations as far as LGBTI people are concerned

Did you mean to imply world wide or just in the EU? In the EU, I agree. But world wide.... LGBT is still a criminal offense in far too many countries -- even including it as a death penalty. Hungary is certainly not as progressive as others in the EU, but hardly one of the most backward globally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_righ … _territory

Austria has ONLY JUST allowed same sex marriages and recognising it.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Hungary is currently one of the most backward nations as far as LGBTI people are concerned

Did you mean to imply world wide or just in the EU? In the EU, I agree. But world wide.... LGBT is still a criminal offense in far too many countries -- even including it as a death penalty. Hungary is certainly not as progressive as others in the EU, but hardly one of the most backward globally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_righ … _territory

I  was only referring to the EU as this is what I know and where the OP was referring to.    I know the Wikipedia entry on the subject.   I didn't bother looking it up to see the current position - OP can look it up themselves.

But in any case, Hungary is way out of step with current thinking.  They'll eventually give in and the sky won't fall in.

Other obvious countries where there is progress include Canada, Australia and NZ, some parts of South America, maybe South Africa and more recently and interestingly India and some Asian countries. 

Countries/regions without progress would include most of the Middle East, Caribbean, Africa and the USA (maybe).

SimCityAT wrote:

Austria has ONLY JUST allowed same sex marriages and recognising it.

Well there we are then!  Unbelievable.  Religious opposition I suppose?

It's still illegal in Northern Ireland.  Yeah, that'll last.

Reminds me of Chicken Licken.

The rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people in Hungary have evolved through Hungarian history. Homosexuality is legal in Hungary for both men and women. Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is banned in the country. However, households headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for all of the same legal rights available to opposite-sex married couples. Registered partnership for same-sex couples was legalized in 2009, but same-sex marriage is banned.

SimCityAT wrote:

The rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) people in Hungary have evolved through Hungarian history. Homosexuality is legal in Hungary for both men and women. Discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity is banned in the country. However, households headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for all of the same legal rights available to opposite-sex married couples. Registered partnership for same-sex couples was legalized in 2009, but same-sex marriage is banned.

Yup, that's Fidesz for you.   

We haven't had our FPO Strache/Ibizagate yet but it will come eventually - someone is going to make a mistake and incriminate OV.  Hereabouts, there are reports (in The Economist - behind paywall) that the opposition is finally getting their act together and could seriously take on Fidesz in Budapest and other regional cities in the forthcoming local elections.   Outside the cities, Fidesz is still strong due to less than 1 EUR 10kg bags of potatoes* and braindead anti-Soros BS.    Maybe there will be reform if they (Fidesz) lose their majority sufficiently for the opposition to arrange a change in the constitution.

Maybe then there will be equality.

*Fidesz were giving away 10kg bags of potatoes for less than 1 EUR in order to buy votes.  You'd think that would be illegal but apparently not - the potato bags had the face of the incumbent Fidesz guy on them.

Hi,
Please do not believe in "Fidesz-haters'" political posts. They try to do anything to manipulate people against Fidesz even with lies.
I know many homosexual couples who live their everyday lifes without any problems in Hungary.
Perhaps as an activist of LGBT you will face political oppositions on the conservative side but I believe it is normal in a country which was closed behind the "iron cuirtain" for many years while other countries homosexual culture has developed.

Peter from Hungary wrote:

Hi,
Please do not believe in "Fidesz-haters'" political posts. They try to do anything to manipulate people against Fidesz even with lies.

I am curious. Can you point out specifically where anyone lied in this topic? (Maybe the potato thing?) That is, made a comment directly contrary to objective, provable fact? Some opinions were expressed, but those are not "lies".

Sorry, I am not the person who wants to start an endless political debate. I just reacted to "fluffy2560" who involved his/her personal political views as a fact in this topic.

Sorry, I am not the person who wants to start an endless political debate. I just reacted to "fluffy2560" who involved his/her personal political views as a fact in this topic.

Well, Two-Posts-New-To-The-Forum Peter, who is trolling whom here?

As you posted in English, then I'm sure you are educated enough to inform yourself properly.  You only have Google "potatoes for votes Fidesz" in Hungarian or English to see reports about it (update: also see image below).  The last one was at a cost of ~3-400 Ft for 10kg which is below market value.  You can triangulate it yourself to see if you want to prove it as fake news.  Everyone in Hungary knows what is going on.  Maybe you just don't want to know. 

As for me, I'm an ally for liberal causes including LGBT persons, refugees, minorities and so on. 

But in any case, if you know some LGBT people who are positively enjoying full and equal rights the same as every other citizens under Fidesz's belief system then bring them on here.  Then we'll see.

I think even the most ardent follower of OV isn't going to believe that Soros BS any more so who's the next enemy?  Media, Judiciary, Teachers? 

I feel sorry for the population who get suckered by that manipulation.     Anyway, Budapest was lost - others will have to follow.  Whatever you say 2-posts-Peter, that's undeniable.

Update:

https://olkt.hu/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ujbuda_krumpli.jpg

Okay. Let's see only the facts. What you attached here is about a "a discount potato fair" and what you are saying is "Fidesz bought votes". I don't have to be high educated to see that it is a manipulation.
Also on behalf of independence and freedom you say that everybody who are not on your side are all "braindead anti-Soros BS".
As I see what you are running here is a simple sponsored site where you manipulate expats againsts "OV". Very smart.

Okay. Let's see only the facts. What you attached here is about a "a discount potato fair" and what you are saying is "Fidesz bought votes". I don't have to be high educated to see that it is a manipulation.
Also on behalf of independence and freedom you say that everybody who are not on your side are all "braindead anti-Soros BS".
As I see what you are running here is a simple sponsored site where you manipulate expats againsts "OV". Very smart.

Ok, so you recognise that potatoes for votes is a manipulation.  That's good.  So why would you defend an organisation that uses those kinds of vote buying mechanisms to subvert democracy?  I expect better of governments in EU countries.  It doesn't matter if it's firewood or potatoes or even citizenship and bussing people in to vote.

Many Fidesz voters are extreme conservatives who are not able to see they are being manipulated because they have no access to a media other than that which is now under state control.    So yes, it's braindead to say that Soros was in anyway responsible for immigration policies in Hungary.  The government (whoever it maybe) has always retained control.  For an educated people, I find it odd I visit people's houses - all highly educated - see all the books they usually have on their shelves but they are unable to recognise truth and fiction.

We've been here before.  There are elements of history repeating itself.  I am against obviously OV because I think the policies are just now extremist replays and obvious ones too. 

I didn't have much to say on the subject as a foreigner here until I saw Hungary was not fulfilling its obligations under the 1951 UN Human Rights Convention (Hungary signed 1989) for the refugees at the Serbian border.   The refugees piled up at the railway station ended up walking within a few km of my house.  I also objected to the criminalisation, demonisation and victimisation of refugees.

If you read the UNHCR you will see that Hungary - as a signatory to the 1951 convention - has to provide under the convention.     

I'm not Hungarian but my family is so I do have a dog in this race for their future.  I feel perfectly justified in pulling up people who are mindlessly defending OV policies. 

I'm not required to defend myself here but Fidesz to defend itself in the world forum. 

Why don't you put forward some positives of Fidesz then?

BTW, I'm not running anything. I am an equal contributor here like everyone else.

Slow down there.  :cool:

First you accused fluffy2560  here of lying. And he showed that his *opinion* about manipulation was simply that: an opinion based on facts .... Which means you were maybe guilty of liable of calling him a liar.

And then finding that correction indefensible, you start to point another finger at fluffy2560  saying he is "running here is a simple sponsored site"... Another baseless accusation. For one thing, fluffy2560  is just a commentator. He does not "run this site".  So you got another accusation about fluffy2560 wrong..... Are such flawed shape shifting of accusations, when confronted, typical of Fidesz supporters?   :/ 

And be careful of pointing fingers at others, as one must remember that three fingers point back at you. Here they are:

1) Fidesz uses the public media as their own private propaganda source.
2) Most newsprint sources in Hungary are now owned by Fidesz Oligarchs and independent minds will mostly see them as biased toward Fidesz.*
3) Most TV outlets are now owned by Fidesz Oligarchs and independent minds will mostly see them biased toward Fidesz. *

And so there are plenty of "sponsored" sites that are pretty clearly pro Fidesz. And you care about, and accuse, some international expat site, that does allow opinions of others such as yours, to be acting somehow unfairly? Seriously. Any thinking person can see your accusation is ridiculous. Are ridiculous accusations typical of Fidesz supporters?

But I do admit, this discussion is getting a bit off topic in some respects, and so I will move any further comments of mine to Absolutely Anything Else after this.

* How they acquired such control is also well known.... and not in a good way.

OMG... In which country you live in??
Please enter anything about politics in Hungary in google and you will find more than 10 different sites in raw promoted on the very first positions that manipulate people against the government and you really say that it is controlled by the Fidesz??
I don't have anything else to say... I don't want to change your glasses that you see the world through. I just want to stand up for people that you call "mindless", "undereducated" and all other negative stamps just because they don't follow your leaders' words. That's it.

OMG...

Reply moved to:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 21#4736285

I wish yellowsky will come back and respond, I hope
Peter from Hungary has not scared them away? Very stange that his only posts have been on this thread and neither or helpful.

SimCityAT wrote:

I wish yellowsky will come back and respond, I hope
Peter from Hungary has not scared them away? Very strange that his only posts have been on this thread and neither or helpful.

Yes, be a useful update to hear back for others to know.

Two-Posts Peter has probably cleared off to troll someone else as there was no mileage in it.  He wasn't very articulate in his arguments.  Probably couldn't handle justifying his position.   

Off topic a bit but as an aside, if Trump gets impeached, that's the slippery slope to the end of the world of the bizarre Alt-Right.  Maybe we can sweep it all under the carpet and pretend it never happened or it was in an alternate reality. We'll all wake up in the shower and it'll have been a dream. Donny who?  OV who? Erdogan who? Putin who?

Hungary pulls out of Eurovision amid rise in anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric

Hungary will not participate in next year's Eurovision song contest, amid speculation the decision was taken because the competition is “too gay” for the taste of the country's far-right government and public media bosses.

While no official reason has been given for the withdrawal, the move comes amid an increase in homophobic rhetoric in Hungary, where the anti-migration prime minister, Viktor Orbán, has launched a “family first” policy aimed at helping traditional families and boosting birth rates.

Earlier this year, the speaker of the Hungarian parliament compared same-sex adoption to paedophilia, while a pro-government television commentator referred to Eurovision as “a homosexual flotilla” and said not participating would benefit the nation's mental health.

A source inside the Hungarian public broadcaster, MTVA, told the Guardian that while no reason was communicated internally for the decision to withdraw from the contest, the assumption among employees was that Eurovision's association with LGBTQ+ culture was behind the move.

“I was not surprised. It comes from the organisational culture of MTVA,” said the source, adding that positive coverage of LGBT rights at the media holding was discouraged, save for annual coverage of Budapest Pride.

Public media in Hungary is closely linked to the government and has been instrumental in spreading its messages around migration and other issues. Earlier, the Hungarian website index.hu quoted unnamed sources inside public media speculating that the reason for the withdrawal was likely to be that Eurovision was deemed “too gay”.

Orbán's spokesman, Zoltán Kovács, described the index.hu story as “fake news” on Twitter, but did not specify any other reason for Hungary's non-participation.

In an emailed statement to the Guardian, MTVA said: “Instead of taking part in the Eurovision Song Contest in 2020, we will support the valuable productions created by the talents of Hungarian pop music directly.”

In previous years, the winner of a series called The Song would go on to become Hungary's Eurovision entry. This year the programme will continue but the prize will be a chance to appear on various domestic media outlets and at festivals.

MTVA did not respond to a question on the reasons for the decision.

Orbán has steered clear of incendiary homophobic rhetoric, although he has repeatedly emphasised his view that marriage can only be between a man and a woman. But in recent months the homophobia among the prime minister's inner circle has ratcheted up.

An MP from Orbán's Fidesz party called for a boycott of Coca-Cola after the brand launched an advertising campaign using photographs of a gay couple, while László Kövér, the speaker of the Hungarian parliament, compared proponents of equal marriage and adoption to paedophiles. “Morally, there is no difference between the behaviour of a paedophile and the behaviour of someone who demands such things,” he said.

Kövér contrasted those who wanted same-sex adoption rights to a putative “normal homosexual” who understood his lower status in the world. “He tries to fit into this world while he doesn't necessarily think he is equal,” said Kövér.

Last week, an opposition MP asked a government minister what the reason for the Eurovision withdrawal was, and was told it was a decision taken by public media with no government input. But the link was drawn explicitly on pro-government television shows.

“I welcome the decision, including from a mental health perspective, that Hungary will not take part in the homosexual flotilla that this international song competition has been reduced to,” said András Bencsik, the editor of a pro-government magazine and frequent TV commentator.

“Many young people thought that this is something for people under 18, but at this event the destruction of public taste takes place with screaming transvestites and bearded women.”

The scandal recalls opposition to Eurovision in Russia, where a homophobic MP called for the country to withdraw in 2014, saying that participating would “contradict the path of cultural and moral renewal that Russia stands on today”.

The European Broadcasting Union, which runs the contest, said: “It is not uncommon for EBU members to have breaks in participation in the Eurovision song contest,” and pointed out that Hungary had been absent on previous occasions. However, since 2011, the country has entered every year.

“We hope to welcome their broadcaster MTVA back to the Eurovision song contest family soon,” the EBU said.

SimCityAT wrote:

Hungary pulls out of Eurovision amid rise in anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric

.... because the competition is “too gay” for the taste of the country's far-right government and public media bosses.....

The European Broadcasting Union, which runs the contest, said: “It is not uncommon for EBU members to have breaks in participation in the Eurovision song contest,” and pointed out that Hungary had been absent on previous occasions. However, since 2011, the country has entered every year.

“We hope to welcome their broadcaster MTVA back to the Eurovision song contest family soon,” the EBU said.

Too gay for Eurovision? I'm sure this is an important policy for OV.   In his mind, there's nothing else going on* worth their attention.

The politician(s) doth protest too much.   

Shame the rest of the EU isn't too gay for Hungary too.  I live here but this is becoming ridiculous.  The more hysterical they are the more comical they look.

* interestingly enough a mobile unit appeared in our village  with a big slogan on it "PAKS2".  I guess this is a propaganda effort for the new Russian made/Russian run/Russian owned (if not now eventually) nuclear power station.

As a gay person myself, who has lived in several cities in Hungary since 2001, I can say, without a doubt and without hesitation, that Fidesz is not the community's friend.
The atmosphere has become much more difficult and unwelcoming. It is pervasive, but subtle -- the treatment of gay-owned businesses, the difficulty of starting up said business, the difficulty in getting police help, government services, recognition of same-sex unions, adoption, etc.  You see it in things like Eurovision, in the restrictions placed on the Gay Pride Parade, and much more.
My partner and I have literally been physically attacked on the street by a group calling me "buzi", who then decided it was OK to continue the attack physically.  (Don't worry, we lost a shirt, but they lost the fight).
If you are an expat and working in a multi-national company, that company probably has an anti-discrimination policy that "protects" you.

So the Christian-loving Fidesz will support a cheating, orgy loving Gyori mayor and rampant corruption (among a long list of hypocrisy), but won't recognize a loving adult couple who want to make a positive contribution to Hungarian society.

To the OP: your average every day life is probably not going to be affected by a political debate, but Hungary maintains only the bare minimum of protections and tolerance for same-sex couples. You can still make a very happy life for yourself here, moreso perhaps in a large city like Bp than elsewhere, and you might very rarely find an idiot who doesn't like the idea. You live under certain limitations while living here, but as ksallee has pointed out, the worst place in Europe is probably better than the best place in some African and Asian countries.  Pros and cons...