Visiting Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi cities Oct/Nov 2019

Dear fellow readers

could you guys tell me where to find the Arts Precinct in Ho chi minh and Hanoi cities as I come from the Arts as Fine Artist and Graphic Designer. I am also fascinated with Architecture, Industrial and Interior Design.

I have a stutter and would be delighted to meet members of the Stuttering Community in either cities, I also belong to the Australian Speak Easy Association, this is a Support Network for all People who Stutter. I am also a member of the Toastmasters Club in Sydney, Smooth Speech Toastmasters Club is the first club in the world that was formed by people who stutter almost 40 years ago based in Sydney.

I a Coffee, Beer and wine lover so food is a must to explore and I enjoy cooking very much, would you guys refer me to any Cafe style atmosphere and I love Jazz and Lounge music, would be great to hear from anyone here.

I am from Sydney and I have been briefly to other Asian countries but I would love to explore Vietnam and its cultural heritage. It has been my dream to see this historic and beautiful part of Asia.

many thanks
john

Most everything historic in Sai Gon is in District 1. There is a Fine Arts Museum across the large roundabout from Ben Thanh Market, and the Saigon Museum is near the market as well. The major French-built structures are nearby including the 'cathedral', post office (designed by Eiffel), opera house, Continental Hotel, etc.

The same goes for art galleries, international cuisine and bars, although some things can also be found in neighboring districts. District 5 is considered to be "Chinatown" where there are some pagodas and maybe some other older structures/landmarks.

This recent article may be of interest to you:
https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/201 … 51437.html

In Ha Noi, the Old Quarter is the historic area and Tay Ho (West Lake) is where much of the international scene is located.

Hi JohnRoss
Many thanks for your quick response and will keep your info at hand. Will keep all this in mind and see how much I can do to visit all the arts in both cities. I have heard so much about this exotic country over the years,
Thanks again
Cheers
John

You're welcome. Along with Vietnam's robust economic growth, there is also an increase in the arts and cultural and musical events, etc.

These are two English language websites that are good sources of info of what's happening and available:

HCMC:  https://saigoneer.com

Ha Noi: https://www.thenewhanoian.com/en/hanoi/ … ture-hanoi
(this one is like a directory)

Wow! Really appreciate this JohnRoss
That's great
Cheers
John

Hi JohnRoss23

Could you tell me if they use US currency in vietnam, as I have downloaded an XE currency App on my iPhone and noticed the amount is too much to handle.

In Cambodia they do use their own currency but they rather use USD.

Could you let me know as I will get some American currency while I am still home in Sydney.

Cheers
john

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Hi JohnRoss23

Could you tell me if they use US currency in vietnam, as I have downloaded an XE currency App on my iPhone and noticed the amount is too much to handle.

In Cambodia they do use their own currency but they rather use USD.

Could you let me know as I will get some American currency while I am still home in Sydney.

Cheers
john

Vietnam Dong is primarily used in Vietnam. USD can be used for larger transactions such as visas, airline tickets, hotel bills, etc., but VN Dong can also be used. For example, I bought an air ticket the other day. The price was quoted in US dollars, but I paid the equivalent amount in VND. Generally, for the sake of convenience your reserve cash should be in dollars, but for everyday transactions at restaurants, shops, taxis, etc. you are going to need VND.

Not sure though why you couldn't just bring AUS dollars since nearly every currency is convertible. Hopefully, an Aussie can comment on that regarding if there is a disadvantage.

Cambodia is similar, but I think the USD is still used more often there than it is in VN. As far as I remember (haven't been to Cambo in about 4 years), they lack large denomination notes so it's not convenient to use the riel for larger amounts.

in both cases, if you use dollars, normally any change given will be in local currency.

Yeah, I was told to bring a pile of USD$1 when visiting Cambodia as it could be very handy. In Vietnam I'd have a hard time getting rid of those. So yeah just bring AUD currency and exchange in D1, easy.

WillyBaldy wrote:

Yeah, I was told to bring a pile of USD$1 when visiting Cambodia as it could be very handy. In Vietnam I'd have a hard time getting rid of those. So yeah just bring AUD currency and exchange in D1, easy.

Take the USD 1 dollar notes to a gold shop, they will exchange them.

colinoscapee wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

With a worse rate than your USD$100 I think? Anyhow, these $1 could be handy in Cambodia, which is only a 2-3 hours bus drive away from me!

Would like to meet ?
I am male,62 years,and going back to Saigon a second time for vacation and maybe more. My knowledge is limited on the sights and interesting activities available while being in Saigon. I am traveling alone and just curious about all the choices Saigon has to offer. Will be in District 1 10-17-2019 for 5 days.  Thank you    John G

WillyBaldy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

With a worse rate than your USD$100 I think? Anyhow, these $1 could be handy in Cambodia, which is only a 2-3 hours bus drive away from me!

I have yet to see a gold shop that offers a bad exchange rate.

Anyone wanting to switch US dollars for Vietnam dong normally can't get a better rate than they would get at a gold shop, I  think

Hi WillyBaldy

many thanks for your info regrading currency exchange in Vietnam. Will bring some USD as already have some from my past travels. But yeah of course will have AUD as well, for better Exchange rates would you suggest any where in Ho chi Minh as I have used small shops in few Asian countries.

cheers
john

Hi OceanBeach
when you mention a Gold Shop for exchange rates, is this a Gold Jewelers shop?
cheers
john

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Hi OceanBeach
when you mention a Gold Shop for exchange rates, is this a Gold Jewelers shop?
cheers
john

I mean places such as this:

Ha Tam (Google Maps link)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I have yet to see a gold shop that offers a bad exchange rate.

Anyone wanting to switch US dollars for Vietnam dong normally can't get a better rate than they would get at a gold shop, I  think

I meant that they'll give you a better rate for big notes like USD$100 than a small note like USD$1, at least it was like that back then. I'm talking about the rate, not the final amount they give.

atrabrecha2015 wrote:

Hi WillyBaldy

many thanks for your info regrading currency exchange in Vietnam. Will bring some USD as already have some from my past travels. But yeah of course will have AUD as well, for better Exchange rates would you suggest any where in Ho chi Minh as I have used small shops in few Asian countries.

cheers
john

It makes sense to bring any USD you already have, but don't exchange AUD to USD in your country or you'll get creamed around 2.5% most likely . Very hard to get around that 2.5 XE conversion fee when going through the official banking system.