Housing Availability in December

Hello,
Planning and budgeting my move to SMA...any advice is welcome!

At the moment, I am thinking I will either drive my car OR ditch my car and fly into Leon/SMA. Upon arrival, I am thinking I will book a hotel room for 5-7 days and THEN begin looking for a 1-2 bedroom to rent, for around $800/month. NOTE: I am traveling with my furbaby (Smee). So my questions are:

1) I am seeking a simpler life in SMA. How much of a hassle is having a car in SMA vs not having a car?   I am in good health & walk about an hour everyday.

2) What are the best/no frills hotels that accept pets in SMA?

3) What is the best way to find an economical rental in SMA? I am aware of Craigslist.

4) What areas of SMA should I absolutely avoid renting in for safety reasons?

5) Is it feasible to find, secure and move into a rental within 5-7 days or should I plan a longer stay in a hotel?

6) What is involved in getting utilities turned on in my name, if utilities are not included in the rent? Do I need to an interpreter for this task? Do I need a handful of pesos?

Again, any advice you can provide to help make this big move, less stressful for this solo retired chicky and her little perro is greatly appreciated!

Moderated by Priscilla 4 years ago
Reason : please post in the housing section
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hola again from Cathy, having a car here is not a hassle.I've lived here for nearly 3 years. That being said, parking in Centro can be a challenge. I usually park my car at the grocery and take a taxi or bus if I want to go to the Jardin. The bus cost 7 pesos and a taxi fare may start at 60 pesos. I'm not sure about the hotel situation. My Casita is in a very safe location. You dont need to have utilities turned on in your name. Utilities are in the Landlords name and the are separate from the rent. The cost of utilities average out to approximately 80 dollars a month in the winter and less in the summer. That includes 40 for the internet. Thats for gas, electric and water which of course depends on your usage. You don't need an interpreter for this task. Good luck!