Toasters?

For the life of me, I can't find a toaster in this town (Rach Gia). Is there any toaster in Vietnam?

Dien May Xanh sells them.

Yeah I think one place in Rach Gia has them. It's not very popular I guess  :lol:

I am in HCMC and bought mine at the local Lotte Mart down the road.

WillyBaldy wrote:

Yeah I think one place in Rach Gia has them. It's not very popular I guess  :lol:

Locals dont eat banh mi nuong.

There's always Lazada.

Mine was from Điện máy Xanh.

Where do you buy sliced bread?  I can't imagine you tearing up your bánh mì nhỏ and putting it in a toaster.

THIGV wrote:

Where do you buy sliced bread?  I can't imagine you tearing up your bánh mì nhỏ and putting it in a toaster.

Many places now have sliced bread.

Sliced bread - what a neat idea! We toast our banh mi for our ca ri ga and our bo kho all the time, but we always toast the whole loaf and rip it apart at the table.
BTW - I always have trouble remembering the order of bo kho -or- kho bo (beef stew and dried beef).
It seems to me they got the two exactly wrong.

colinoscapee wrote:

Many places now have sliced bread.

One of the advantages of being married my whole time in Vietnam was that I never had to feed myself.  All I had to do was eat what was put in front of me.  :D  It meant that i encountered countless dishes that I might not have otherwise. :top:   It was also one of the disadvantages as there was a lot I never really learned to do, like shop for my own food or even order in a restaurant.  :(

THIGV wrote:

Here in VT, sliced bread is sold at Lotte (maybe Coop too) in very small loaf (~12 slices).  VT has many bakeries where bread is made daily -- rustic loaf, baguette, dinner rolls, sweet rolls (similar to Hawaiian King), and sliced bread in white, wheat, or rye, with sesame, sunflower, walnut, or cheese.  I just have to remember which bakery has fresh bread in the morning and which in the mid afternoon.

For lunch today, we all had Montréal smoked brisket from Canada (niece brought home 5 kg in her checked bag) on rye bread from VT and Maille Old Style mustard from France.  Dill pickles, unfortunately, were missing.

THIGV wrote:

I was at the Mega Market in Rach Gia a few days ago and bought this:

http://www.metayer.ca/IMG_20191004_142439.jpg

Well, will show up when my bread image is validated by moderators  :lol:

Ciambella wrote:

For lunch today, we all had Montreal smoked brisket from Canada (niece brought home 5 kg in her checked bag) on rye bread from VT and Maille Old Style mustard from France.  Dill pickles, unfortunately, were missing.

Montreal is my city. We've got amazing bagels too, pretty even with New York.

WillyBaldy wrote:

Montreal is my city. We've got amazing bagels too, pretty even with New York.

Don't know about bagels but Montréal smoked brisket is very good.  Lean, tender, and just right salt-wise, but at C$50/kg, that's way above my paygrade.  Luckily it's a gift.

So I went to the main appliance store in Rach Gia, one of the most famous appliance store around (maybe  Điện máy Xanh?), and they had two toasters on display and joy, 50% rebate. When I asked, they said that there was NO toaster in stock and they didn't know when or if they'd get any. My ex wife told me it's often a ploy to display products they don't even carry on rebate so that they can attract people and sell them other stuff. Anyway, I then asked my contacts in Saigon to ship me a toaster with the orange bus delivery system. 800K toaster. On my way to the bus station, I stopped at Mega Market and saw two toasters *in stock* for 600K. Oh well, live and learn  :D Just had two peanut butter toasts with a glass of milk, giving my stomach a break from all that seafood!

PS: Anyone knows how to handle the employee following your every step? I told them "chi se di vom vom" but she still followed me 1M distance non stop. A reminder that "I need my space" doesn't work here  :lol:

They are sold all over the place in HCM - Big C / Mega Market, Gioidingdong

WillyBaldy wrote:

PS: Anyone knows how to handle the employee following your every step? I told them "chi se di vom vom" but she still followed me 1M distance non stop. A reminder that "I need my space" doesn't work here

Probably you look shifty. Store manager put a tail on you.  :cool:
Maybe if you ask her a long question in English, she will go away to find the go-to English speaker in the store.

gobot wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

PS: Anyone knows how to handle the employee following your every step? I told them "chi se di vom vom" but she still followed me 1M distance non stop. A reminder that "I need my space" doesn't work here

Probably you look shifty. Store manager put a tail on you.  :cool:
Maybe if you ask her a long question in English, she will go away to find the go-to English speaker in the store.

New solution:

Turn toward her and start coughing...

WillyBaldy wrote:

.... I told them 'chi se di vom vom' but she still followed me 1M distance non stop. A reminder that 'I need my space' doesn't work here  :lol:

nghĩa lá gì (what does it mean) 'chi se di vom vom'?

sanooku wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

.... I told them 'chi se di vom vom' but she still followed me 1M distance non stop. A reminder that 'I need my space' doesn't work here  :lol:

Chi se di vom vom should be "chị sẽ đi vòng vòng", which is a lady saying she will go around.

colinoscapee wrote:
sanooku wrote:
WillyBaldy wrote:

Chi se di vom vom should be "chị sẽ đi vòng vòng", which is a lady saying she will go around.

Not as bad as 'Biến đi! ' (get lost) then.  ;)

Note the wink to indicate I'm joking. Not saying anyone should use 'Biến đi' unless absolutely necessary. Think it's not very polite.

vòng vòng = go round and round.

Makes sense as 'vòng xoay' means roundabout. Just learnt that this is in the Northern dialect. Southern equivalent is 'bùng binh'.

p.s. I made a small mistake in previous post. Should be 'nghĩa là gì?'.