International Living magazine conference

Has anyone the annual conference in Las Vegas that is put on by International Living magazine? It looks pretty expensive, and they seem a little too slick if you ask me.

Is it worthwhile?

I attended the Escape Artist weekend conference in Dallas last year? I live in Austin, so going was no big deal. It was mostly a waste of time and money.

The IL conference costs twice as much, plus more with all the expenses.

How much are the tickets?

I read IL for the articles, but the conferences always look like scams to me.

I think its worthwhile if you're considering living abroad. I don't know why it seemed like a waste of time and money last year but I think you should give it another try if the money is available

Well to be frank...no one can tell, except for someone who participated...you know there are scammers everywhere

Tickets depends on your location

algernonsidney wrote:

Has anyone the annual conference in Las Vegas that is put on by International Living magazine? It looks pretty expensive, and they seem a little too slick if you ask me.

Is it worthwhile?

I attended the Escape Artist weekend conference in Dallas last year? I live in Austin, so going was no big deal. It was mostly a waste of time and money.

The IL conference costs twice as much, plus more with all the expenses.

OK, I just looked back in my emails.  We're talking about the "Retire Overseas Bootcamp 2019" in Las Vegas, October 11-13, right?  That's $1195, or $995 if you get the $200 "discount" that everybody who asks for it probably gets ($945, if you're an IL subscriber).  So, here's the deal, as I see it:
1. If you have your heart set on a target country and it ISN'T one of the countries that International Living focuses on, then there's no way it's worth $945 (best case) plus expenses.  All you'll get is general information on moving abroad, that you can certainly get through your own research.
2. If your country choices align with International Living's, you can undoubtedly get some specific country advice, and probably meet some people who live in your target country or countries.
3. If you know that you want to live abroad, but don't know where, this meeting will steer you toward some pretty attractive places.  Just be aware that you ARE being steered, and that not all options are on the table.
In cases (2.) and (3.) above, it's all about whether you think that your expense of over $1000 will buy you more and better information than your own research can get you for the cost of your time.  To me, the answer is clear, but your mileage may differ.  :idontagree:

International Living magazine has never shown anyone the reality of living abroad, which is life changing for better and for worse, adapting and adopting an entire new way of life, changing one's POV and priorities, and above all, learning to accept. 

The magazine's idea of living abroad is maintaining the same standard of living, enjoying the same activities, and paying the professionals to smooth out all difficulties.   Living abroad the IL way is an extended vacation during which one wears casual chic white linen clothing in the summer and beautiful handknit sweaters in the winter, swinging golf clubs or sitting on a porch drinking to the sunset.  It's always "living the life", "live like a king", or "live the dream" with IL.  That's not reality.

As abthree said above, all necessary information can be found online at no cost and no pressure.  Attending a weekend conference on moving and living abroad is the same as signing up for timeshare seminar, except that timeshare seminar only lasts a few hours and one often gets a free dinner in the end.

Ciambella wrote:

International Living magazine has never shown anyone the reality of living abroad, which is life changing for better or for worse, adapting and adopting an entire new way of life, changing one's POV and priorities, and above all, learning to accept.

That sentence -- probably without the magazine reference -- would make a great motto for expat.com.  Well put indeed!

How can a magazine tell you what it is like to live in another country? Reading is a great thing, but life must be experienced.

Ciambella wrote:

The magazine's idea of living abroad is maintaining the same standard of living, enjoying the same activities, and paying the professionals to smooth out all difficulties.   Living abroad the IL way is an extended vacation during which one wears casual chic white linen clothing in the summer and beautiful handknit sweaters in the winter, swinging golf clubs or sitting on a porch swing drinking to the sunset.  It's always "living the life", "live like a king", or "live the dream" with IL.  That's not reality.

This sounds terrible. If one wants to live the same life they had in their homeland, why move?

Even worse, I loathe golf.

A lot of these conferences are designed to selling you something.

Check some of the threads on the Ecuador forum.  IL comes on like folks in the real estate business, out to help themselves, not you.  They tell you nothing that is not already available for less or free.

As a recent subscriber to IL magazine, I learned that it is for a specific demographic.  At times, I thought I erroneously subscribed to a real estate selling pamphet.  If you are tech savvy & have the inclination, all info is available at your fingertips on-line free of charge.  Good luck.