Shipping our stuff over

I'm having a hard time getting real answers from different shipping companies.  They all have a different answer.  We will be shipping 1-40' container (over sea).  Can bring my dewalt battery powered tools? Can I bring 1 atv (four wheeler).  Can pack cans of off bug spray?  Spray paint? Etc. 
Any help would be appreciated

You can get bug spray and spray paint in Ecuador at approximately the same price as USA at supermaxi, megakywi, mi ferrisariato, etc

Take my information with a big grain of salt. Some of your personal tools can enter tax free after you establish residency, not when you first arrive. Check with an attorney here

Oh ok thanks for the info

I know is difficult to get clear answers to your questions but is due the Ecuadorian Customs doesn't have clear rules about what you can ship or not and, at the end, the particular inspector who review your belongings is the one who decide what is allowed or not.

So, about tools, few ones, small ones are ok.
The ATV, only if you are an Ecuadorian.
Sprays, only in small amounts or it will consider commercial items and will be taxes.
Also no label saying are inflamable or dangerous product.

If you need further information you can ****

Moderated by Christine 4 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Great thanks for the reply now I'm not crazy about paying the taxes on the stuff but I'm certainly not opposed to it     Now with that being said I am going to be needing my tools basically to make a living while we are building up the infrastructure of the new bed-and-breakfast etc. but now I'm starting to think I might be better off selling my tools here and then just turn around and purchase them there? But again I don't know what a simple  deWalt miter saw goes for in Ecuador?

And that goes for the ATV in other words if I get charged $300 in taxes to bring it in I'm OK with that but if they charge me $2000 in taxes then I would be better off selling it here and buying a used one there      I think.

Are you gonna get that stuff shipped after you are here or when you first arrive?

There is a thread here about shipping goods and tools. A person called cccmedia gave some good advice. Contact him is my advice. Tools probably, 4 wheeler, not gonna happen

Check MercadoLibre or OLX.

DeWalt mitre saw 10" is $234, for example. Just search for DeWalt in the search box, about 1200 other different tools available.

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ec/ME … ye-iva-_JM

Thanks much I'll look into both those ideas!   I was planning to bring it with me when I move because I'm gonna need them right away but it's looking like I'm going to try to sell damn near everything here and then rebuy it there

Looks like I'm a little late to the party, but we did an interview with Paul Wilches of Relocation Services of Ecuador and he answers lots of questions about what you can and cannot bring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsIaTxfQIvc. He's also very happy to answer more specific questions if you email him.

Great thanks much for the info I'll definitely give them a call

I considered shipping and analyzed the costs. And I did the same for selling my stuff.

When I did my personal inventory, I realized I didn't actually have any heirlooms, momentos, antiques, etc.

It was a tough decision, but in the end I sold or donated almost everything and came with a few pieces of luggage. Buying the essentials hasn't been expensive, becuase my tastes are about utility and maximizing value. Plus, new stuff, which is upgraded compared to old models. fun!

I did have some fortunate circumstances, though, that others may not have. First, I have relatives in the US who agreed to let me keep some things (3 medium moving boxes) in their basement.
I will be bringing that stuff with me back to Guayaquil little by little on return visits.

I did the same thing. Sold, gave away or tossed everything. I came here with two checked suitcases and one trike. Will visit states over Christmas and return with two more suitcases and another trike for the beach.  I am storing one huge bag (another trike) in the states.  It is amazing how much junk we collect and do not really need.

Thanks much for the reply and I think that's where we're leaning is to pretty much sell everything we have here and purchase again there we are purchasing a bed and breakfast so we're certainly going to keep our kitchen stuff and mattresses and sheets so we can move in and resume business as always but we've decided to pretty much all the tools and as you guys mentioned things that we really don't need and if we do we can just re-purchase them there.
Thanks again

Amelia&jp. I just got off the phone with that container company you guys interviewed and they are definitely helping me out the most clear and concise instructions I've gotten from any company I've called so I certainly appreciate it they're even forwarding me some information on lawyers as well real estate lawyers and visa or work permit whatever lawyers so thanks again

That's great! Glad we were able to help connect you with Paul! We're really impressed with him and have heard great things from people who used his services. We sold everything and moved here with our suitcases so we didn't need a container.

We thought about that but since we are purchasing and going to be running a bed-and-breakfast we needed to bring some stuff to be able to move in and start or continue business as usual I have decided to go ahead and sell my tools and then re-purchase them there but our beds and kitchen stuff is something we felt we needed to bring for the B&B we're definitely excited but also nervous at the same time moving to a different country but we've been to Ecuador and found the people to be  very nice and accommodating so we're excited six more months!!

That sounds really exciting! Congrats!