University or not

Hi, i am Huy
29/9/2019
i am feeling very confused right now
i am a vietnamese, i have a problem that my relative and my parent want me to study at some famous university but i don't want to, because i was read some book and the author said: "university is not the only way lead to your successful." i really support that but they don't. in there mind, to have a good job which is well-paid you must go for a well-known university. they expect me alot, if i don't they will very sad, especially my father's grandmother :(( what should i do
i think i should do something but i dont know what
i wish there are two me to do these thing at the same time Xd

"university is not the only way lead to your successful."
That's true. But nonetheless it is a way.

Do you have something that you want to do? What is it?

Yes, it's true. Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard University after two years. But, he knew that he was going into the field of computer programming.

So, if you already have some useful skills, then university may be a waste of time.

However, as Darwin 123 asks above, what is your alternative plan?

Darwin123 wrote:

"university is not the only way lead to your successful."
That's true. But nonetheless it is a way.

Do you have something that you want to do? What is it?

What is your plan B? Not only you have something to do, are you passion about it, most importantly are you good at it? I believe degree still got some leverage in Vietnam especially well known ones.  Until it is over supplied such as Korea where more unemployed with college degree than skilled workers.

My son got full scholarship in cinematic art at University of Southern California (one of the top school in this field in the world). But I knew he has lot of passion but skill to succeed is not there. I made him to earn another degree in finance to support himself while pursuing his dream.

He realized besides passion also need necessary creativity. Everyone wants to be a singer, if the voice is terrible no matter how much work put into it, would able to sing correctly, but won't get paid  as a singer.

Good luck,

huylc9999 wrote:

Hi, i am Huy
29/9/2019
i am a vietnamese, i have a problem that my relative and my parent want me to study at some famous university but i don't want to, because i was read some book and the author said: "university is not the only way lead to your successful." i really support that but they don't. in there mind, to have a good job which is well-paid you must go for a well-known university. they expect me alot, if i don't they will very sad, especially my father's grandmother :(( what should i do

Go to your Great Grandmother and tell her that you value the advice of total strangers more than the advice she is giving.

Is she talking a famous university in the United States, in Europe, in SE Asia or in Vietnam?  If in US or Europe have you even looked into the difficulty of getting a student visa?  Also, is she offering to pay for this famous university?  Normal university in United States for out of state tuition - not even a famous one - is now over one billion VND per year.

My Vietnamese business partner just tried to get his son into the same university in Canada that he himself got his masters degree 20 years ago.  The student visa request was denied a couple of months ago for this current school year so a recent application.  It's not easy for an unmarried Viet without family in the city to get a student visa in US or Europe so if you are going that direction I would look into the visa first before spending money on school applications.

SteinNebraska wrote:

My Vietnamese business partner just tried to get his son into the same university in Canada that he himself got his masters degree 20 years ago.  The student visa request was denied a couple of months ago for this current school year so a recent application.  It's not easy for an unmarried Viet without family in the city to get a student visa in US or Europe so if you are going that direction I would look into the visa first before spending money on school applications.

What university is that? I'm from Montreal and we've got McGill University that's somehow famous but I'm guessing they probably went for a university in Toronto.

Lots of foreign students in Canada but most of them are super rich back home.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
huylc9999 wrote:

Hi, i am Huy
29/9/2019

Go to your Great Grandmother and tell her that you value the advice of total strangers more than the advice she is giving.

Well, obviously, the OP is here.

@OP: maybe make your decision after reading other books/material that may say otherwise. Seems you are basing your decision on one author/book. Is s(he) someone who studied at a university? What was the context in which s(he) said what s(he) did?

Of course, don't get pressured in to anything to please your great grandmother and father. BTW, is it actually your great grandmother? or grandmother? if great grandmother. How old is she?

I don't know what Universities are like in Vietnam, but I did meet some remarkable people where I studied. Some of whom I still keep in touch with. Maybe something else to ponder.

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed from this thread.

Thank you,
Christine