Taxes as a non resident?

Hello, I have a question please: I have not lived in the NL for the past two years, but I kept my company (Eenmanzaak) registered there thinking I might come back some day. Now I want to start working again with it, but I am not coming back to the NL, and I am location independent right now so it's not like  I have another country where to open a company. I am going to sell digital products online so I am not sure how this applies to Dutch taxes, as I am reading that to pay taxes in the NL I need to be either resident either have some financial ties, which in both cases is not true. I was a resident for almost 6 years, and my company is registered at the KvK at a friend's address, but now a problem with a Dutch bank can only be solved by moving the address of the bank abroad (still EU though). Am I going to lose my right to my company if my bank account is related to a foreign address?  Do you see any other option apart from keeping the company? Taxes are not bad in the NL as I won't earn a lot, and I still contemplate going back at some point. What do you think? Sorry this is long...

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

This is a personal opinion, I know very little about Dutch business laws.

If your company is dormant (i.e. is not trading and nobody works for it) and receiving no income, then as long as you have made the required annual tax returns up until the time you ceased trading and paid any historical taxes owed and met any legal commitments you had, then the Belastingdienst will not be interested.  You should be careful though as while the Company exists, then people and organisations (Government) can still make claims on it and you may have a nasty surprise waiting for you when you next return; far better to have closed it behind you when you ceased trading.

If one of the requirements of Dutch law is that you must have a bank account in the country while the registered company exists, then you have to comply with that requirement, or close/move your company elsewhere.

If it's really important for you and you do intend to return to the Netherlands, then my advice is to speak to an expert in Dutch business law.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Cynic
Expat Team