Moving from Mexico to CR

Hi guys! Mine partner and I have been living in Mexico for the last 3 years. We are located in Cancun and we supplier hotels with some specialty products.
Because of increase of crime, tourism crisis and the fact we don't like the weather here, we have been considering moving to Costa Rica.
I have a friend there who recommended the area of Guanacaste. Because we can offer the products to hotels there too.
We are wondering how much is the costs of rents and utilities in CR. Has anyone moved with a dog?
Many thanks,

Simone

I suggest you read the info on this site regarding living and working here. There are a lot of items prohibited from being imported,which may not work for you.
Another link provides some info on starting a business, but be aware, there is a lot of red tape. Some things about being an employer and dealing with employees.

Living expenses will vary on location, but living at the beaches in Guanacaste will be  higher.
No problem bring in a dog, but if it is large and has to travel as cargo, it can be in the $$$$'s

simonetossa wrote:

Hi guys! Mine partner and I have been living in Mexico for the last 3 years. We are located in Cancun and we supplier hotels with some specialty products.
Because of increase of crime, tourism crisis and the fact we don't like the weather here, we have been considering moving to Costa Rica.
I have a friend there who recommended the area of Guanacaste. Because we can offer the products to hotels there too.
We are wondering how much is the costs of rents and utilities in CR. Has anyone moved with a dog?
Many thanks,

Simone

Hola Simone,

I spent a lot of time in Mexico in the late 80's and the 90's.  Unfortunately drugs have brought a lot of crime to the country.  (Drove to Mexico City one year and down the Baja peninsula another in our Jeeps.  Plus flew to most of the touristy spots.)

I would not base an area to live in what a friend says, or for that matter, what anyone would say.  You need to spend some time here and find what works for "you."  Costa Rica is a small country but extremely diverse due to elevation changes and various cultures.  If you can, take some time to explore.

Re rent - that also depends on the area.  You can rent a small Tico style house for $300 or less or something in Escazu for thousands.  A good way to get a rough idea is to look on Craigslist Costa Rica.  This way you can see the house and the cost of rent.  The rate of electricity is high; however, depending on the area you live, you do not need air-conditioning and never need heat.  My monthly electric bill is around $90.  This will vary greatly with each individual.  If you use air-conditioning, $350 or more.

As far as selling products to hotels, you cannot do this legally yourselves.  If you start a business it is required that you hire Ticos to do the actual work.  At the same time labor costs are extremely low.  As in $3-$4.00 per hour.

Bringing dogs into the country is easy.  This is an older post, but is accurate for your dogs:  https://www.costarica.com/relocation/bringing-pets.

Best of luck in your new direction, 
- Expat Dave

Hi Dave! Thanks so much for taking your time to answer to my post.
I love Mexico, but the crime and corruption here are getting out of control. Mexico is also becoming very expensive.
It would a please for the to start over with my business there, and employ local people.
I've been to Costa Rica 9 years ago, and loved it.

Cheers

Thanks so much for the links and for you kind reply. I'd definitely consider all the pros and cons before moving there.

Cheers :)