The Adventures of Selling a Home in Costa Rica

We talk a lot and answer a lot of questions about purchasing a house in Costa Rica but I don't recall detailed discussions on selling.  So, sit back and I'll tell my tale...

Where to start, hmm, well,  selling property in CR sucks!  😳   Yes, most things are different here and it's one of those things that we have to accept if you want to remain somewhat sane. 

So I'm selling my home in San Ramon to move to a larger property that we purchased in the Southern Zone to greatly expand our parrot rescue center.  I do my research and retain what I think will be a good realtor.  They have a nice website, many professional looking offerings and their realtors claim to be experienced, etc., etc.  This is I believe the largest real estate company in CR - or at least it seems to have the most listings.

Initially I am quite impressed with the real estate company.  They show the house about two to three times per month and we have several people (Gringos), that say they love the place and are interested in purchasing, “...just need to bring my wife back to see the house....” As well as, “I love, love, love your home.  I honestly want to buy it.  The only thing I need to figure out is what part of the deck to sit on when I drink my morning coffee.”  Basically, “the checks in the mail.”  🙄

Keeping in mind there are hundreds of homes for sale here for every one buyer.  So if you really want to sell one of the many things necessary is to have your yard and house spotlessly clean, nothing showing that people don't want to see, etc.  This is the tropics and ceilings will get a few spots of mildew, many leaves in the gutters and so on and so on.  These things have to be kept up all the time when showing a house.  We do get 24 hour notice before the show but after a while you just get tired of the constant parade.  Unless your someone who enjoys working constantly to keep an absolutely spotless house and yard at all times, it's a pain in the butt!   :idontagree:

These showings go on for months when one of the potential buyers asks if we can Skype with them so they can ask more questions.  …I'm thinking questions about the house, great!  So we Skype and they immediately jump into asking about living in Costa Rica, best places to live in, what do we miss, the usual newbie questions.  (Deep breath, not an insult 🤓)   Then I ask them if the realtor answered these questions - and the flood gates opened.  Realtor didn't really ask them anything.  Did not prequalify them to confirm that they even had the funds to purchase, didn't ask when they planned to move or buy, didn't even ask them if they wanted to purchase our house.  It ended up these people are not moving here for “years” and needed to sell their farm in the States before they could even consider buying.

…trying to shorten my story… over the next few months we were able to speak with other potential buyers and found that most were somewhat in the same boat.  They were just looking.  These future buyers found a way to get around the thousands of dollars ‘get to know Costa Rica tours' and just get a free tour with a realtor.  I did eventually confront the realtor about this, especially the absence of pre-qualification, and I was informed that it's not something they choose to do.  I was told that most buyers that they show to are serious buyers and are in the market to buy immediately.  Unfortunately, if found just the opposite to be the truth.

So now I have retained a Gringa realtor that specializes in the San Ramon area and that I have a lot more faith in and she actually seems to be a “realtor.” 

Part of the issue here is the problem faced by many expats, and it's not easy for us to adjust to, it's the Tico way of being non-confrontational.  It is not rude within the culture.  Actually meant to be just the opposite.  They want to please others.  The problem lies with this also applies to professionals, lawyers, doctors, realtors and on and on.  Yes, non-confrontation lawyers.  It's their job to be confrontational!  😱

So the bottom line, as had been said many times on this site, it is soooo easy to build or buy a house here.  Many great deals to be had; HOWEVER, also as had been said many times, when you go to sell it can take years.  And I have now experienced several of the many reasons. 

- Expat Dave

We went through a similar experience. Took over 3 years to sell, and we heard promises and plans that were, of course, never fulfilled.

Love this, so true. There are literally unlimited places for sale. When we told our development CEO we wanted to sell he told us they've tried unsuccessfully. We've also seen many of their homes they built as models? For sale on many auction realty sites for years.  I think people go with developments because they “feel” safer and like they have a friend but the truth is you just have to be very proactive and assertive because there is a root cause to so many homes for sale, needing attorneys to do buy everything except groceries lol and so many consumer protection laws but so little enforced.  Many people say they want to simplify and love without organization and rules but then you want to do something and realize that the organization and rules are there to protect and serve against problems. Two things I've learned in Costa Rica. Manana manana, and this isn't your home country. Do your homework.

We'll have to share notes...
I'm selling some lots and a house so I have quite a bit of experience with realtors and clients here.

I have dealt mostly with gringo realtors so far and some of them are the same as Ticos: They DO NOT QUALIFY the clients!

My issue has been that people don't like the road because there is 1km or so of bad road. (Hey folks this is Costa Rica! If you want the peace and quiet and nature of living out in the country, guess what? Every part of the road may not be perfect!)
So I personally - when I occasionally find my own client - say to them, "well you know, the road is a little bad in one part, and the place is about 20 min. from San Ramon. And it's NOT a gated community, it's a private (and peaceful!) property. Are you still interested?" If they hesitate then I may still show it to them if they want, but I certainly won't go "all out" to prepare it for someone that I am pretty sure are not going to be that interested based on my pre-qualifying interview with them.

Unfortunately some of the realtors don't do this so I'll spend days preparing the property for a client, as you say, trying to make it look the best it can (or the house which - since I live in it!- may not be 100% clean and orderly every hour of every day! LOL).

So then the clients come and they say "I don't like the road." Or "It's too far from town." Or "the house is too small". SO WTF??! Didn't you KNOW these things ahead of time? (Apparently not, the realtor did not prequalify them!)

So both the clients' and my time and energy are wasted!

I've also on several occasions had a realtor give me several days advance notice, so I go through the above routine of preparing for the client(s), only to have them never show up and nary a phone call or whatsapp message from the realtor to tell me that they weren't coming!

I've honestly never seen such a lack of professionalism!

But as I say, now I do have a couple who I think are more professional.

As someone who will be selling soon, this is great information. Gracias for posting, and it would be great if you have a minute now and then to keep us updated on your progress (or lack therof).  It's like the old days of a weekly serial story with the reader eagerly anticipating the next installment!