How to renew your passport in Brazil

I have a permanent Resident in Brazil. I don't plan to go back to the USA anytime soon. In the future I will need to renew my passport. How and where do you do this and the process. Thanks for anyone help

NewBrazil

See instructions on passport renewal here:
https://br.usembassy.gov/passport-services/

There's a US Consular Agency (not a full consulate; provides services for US citizens only, with limited hours) in Fortaleza.   That is probably your nearest option.
I renewed my passport this year.  It takes about a month for the new passport to arrive, so start early.   And keep the old one, that has your latest visa in it.

I went to SP US Consulate. Go online and set an appointment nd answer the question of what you are doing.  Pretty easy, note no cell and restricted item inside of consulate.
Showed up on day of appt. (will not allow you inside prior to 15 minutes to you appt.) and paid and about 1 hour wait, bingo. Same with extra pages.

What is the cost of the renewal of passport and do you need cash or credit card or money order. Thanks for all your help.

Accepted payment methods are:

Brasilia:
•International credit card
•Cash – either U.S. dollars or Brazilian Reais equivalent

Porto Alegre, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo:
•American debit card
•Cash – either U.S. dollars or Brazilian Reais equivalent

Recife, Consular Agency in Fortaleza, Manaus and Salvador:
•Cash – Brazilian Reais only

Passport Book Renewal – Adult (over 16 years old) 110.00

Is it possible to renew your passport in Rio Consulate. How much notice does it take. How long before you get the new one. Also can it be done before 6 months of expiration date. thanks 

02/21/24   Is it possible to renew your passport in Rio Consulate. How much notice does it take. How long before you get the new one. Also can it be done before 6 months of expiration date. thanks 

-@NewBrazil

https://br.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se … -services/

Hi,

I renewed my Canadian passport in Sao Paulo 2  years ago and it was quick (2 weeks) and the same cost as renewing in Canada.

Pete

Thank for all the responses I have a couple of other questions. I like to renew my passport in person. Has anyone done this and how close to the expiration date when you did this and is this a requirement. What consult did you use and how fast did it get back to you. My reason is I don't trust the mail system here in Brazil. Thanks 

02/23/24    Thank for all the responses I have a couple of other questions. I like to renew my passport in person. Has anyone done this and how close to the expiration date when you did this and is this a requirement. What consult did you use and how fast did it get back to you. My reason is I don't trust the mail system here in Brazil. Thanks 

-@NewBrazil

I'm not sure that the Consulate will let you.  Better email them to ask. 

Boa tarde New Brazil!

I had to renew mine from within Brazil also.  And I was equally apprehensive about mailing it!  We are in the NE in Paraíba. After filling out all the forms online and paying all the fees, Including pre-paid mail service to send it, and pre-paid to mail it to our home after wards.  There were some some email glitches, and I remember we HAD to send everything (including my Original Passport)  to the US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro.  These was no option. They had an online estimator for about how long it would take.  I think they send it all back to the USA for processing, then bring it back to Rio de Janeiro to mail to our home.  It took about  6 weeks for everything, if I remember correctly. Hope this helps!  Send me a private message if you want more details...

I also renewed while in Brazil last year and it went as stated above by MA22.  I was also a bit worried about sending in my passport but all went smoothly.  Just make sure you follow all directions, good luck!

@NewBrazil I love living in Brazil, but for me renewing my passport would be a great reason to go back. According to general inquiry aka Google, six to 9 months in advance Is the best time to renew your passport.

To renew your passport, you will typically need:

• Form DS-82
  • Passport photo
  • Passport fee
  • Your most recent passport

I also have a POSTAL 1 Address in New England for US Mail and that can be used for your passport. They will scan or mail / forward your mail to you.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg