Privacy when posting to this forum

I've been in the Philippines for over a year now. Previously I lived in Las Vegas. One of the themes of Las Vegas was: What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

The theme for this website is: What posted here is blabbed all over the world including people who answered your post and even their pictures.

The other day when bored I did another search of myself. I searched images and surprise  surprise some of you who have answered my posts, your image has showed up.

Yes, most of us know what is posted is an open book of the world, but my open book should not have you connected to it, especially if I post something negative on Expat/Philippines, that could reflect or impact on you, which may not be your beliefs.

Suppose I had posted some negative things about the Philippines and you are connected to it, all of a sudden you are denied some sort of visa extension?

Now the founders of Expat.com could have in their meta descriptions, a baring of indexing of their website.

I'm seriously considering not posting here on Expats anymore.

"The other day when bored I did another search of myself. I searched images and surprise  surprise some of you who have answered my posts, your image has showed up."

This problem is not restricted to this group. Whatever your handle is for other groups, it will also show up in a search. 

I would prefer they didn't.  Though I doubt that it will change anytime soon.

Thats an excellent remark. Thats why I dont have my picture and I dont use my name.

The purpose of this website is to share information so there will necessarily be privacy concerns. If you don't want to share information then don't post. If you don't want people to see your immage, don't publish one on the site. If you want to make privte comments use PMs rather than post on the forum.

This site is no less private than other similar sites.

WOW!!!

I'm famous all over the Internet world thanks to a few posts like this.

Amazing and sobering as well.

Tons of pictures attached to my results none of which is of me and none of which I recognize personally.

John Doe

Hi everyone,

hope you are doing well.

When you created your accounts, we've never asked you your name, but a nickname - which we can change for you anytime (just drop us a line through the contact page below and we'll always do the necessary for you).

This said, Google can't access your profile pages (we've forbidden their access) + we delete all personal details such as emails or phone numbers and we've been doing so every single day for the last 4+ years, and you can change your avatar any time.

A possible improvement would be to have a private mode for certain topics (these topics would be hidden to non-members and Google). Do you think it could be a good idea?

Many thanks,

Julien

I don't understand what is the problem here? Since OP mentioned this I became curious and I googled about my nickname finnbo but nothing other than about Swedish villages (there are few) call Finnbo came up. Then I typed "finnbo expat" then some search results from expat.com showed up and then I moved to images and then images mine as well as from other members who replied include team members.

If you click any of those images you only see it better but nothing you have written behind that image will not appear. To find out what each of everyone has written under different topics one should have to make a seriously designated investigation from inside the forum, I emphasize not possible only from google, I tried to do that only to get an understanding about it.   

I wonder which government servant in any government ever make a decision based on a random image of a someone on a google search? One of them must be paranoid either the applicant or the decision maker.

Julien wrote:

Hi everyone,

hope you are doing well.

When you created your accounts, we've never asked you your name, but a nickname - which we can change for you anytime (just drop us a line through the contact page below and we'll always do the necessary for you).

This said, Google can't access your profile pages (we've forbidden their access) + we delete all personal details such as emails or phone numbers and we've been doing so every single day for the last 4+ years, and you can change your avatar any time.

A possible improvement would be to have a private mode for certain topics (these topics would be hidden to non-members and Google). Do you think it could be a good idea?

Many thanks,

Julien

I certainly appreciate your post/contribution with regards to this site/s also with regards to privacy and law.
At the end of the day when one posts/contributes no matter the site, ego or a simple contribution/contemplation these are available if one searches  , observation/contributions are recorded  for prosperity and if ones searches are forthcoming , a plethora  of info follows.

Guess what? I limit, tell only what is needed and I could be your next door neighbour.
Searches reveal for me nada. Apparently I am tied up in lighting  and the director of many famous films and theatre productions. Get the name and info correct if you are a stalker hell bent with little else to do.

Cheers, Steve.

I have a lot of posts, but zero personal information in the open.
A very few people with light bulbs or spanners know who I am, but that's a closed group that isn't googleable.
All you can find is a sheep and a profile that is partially true but also contains a lot of lies. The rash was real and the cream is really good - soothing.
By the way, you can send messages to the email in my profile.

If the system provided by the forum does not suit you also have the option of leaving the forum.

Every thing you put on line, in text, phone conversation is available to the Government, one reason Duterte does not text or use the phone, your IP is provided, NSA records every phone conversation it wants anywhere in the world