Moving from Riyadh to Doha

Hi there,

I am an swedish expat who is probably moving to Doha this summer. I am living with my husband and children. I would like to know a little bit about compounds in Doha. I am looking for a high standard family friendly compound close to city centre. Are there many compounds available? What are they like? Facilities?

Hi EYS, :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

You may also have a look at this article: "Accommodation in Qatar"

Hey, I know this is not a response to your question but I'm moving from Riyadh to Doha also! Have you been able to find a reasonably price moving company? All of the quotes I received so far are outrageous.

For City Centre (which is a major Mall, surrounded by business towers, hotels etc, not a city centre if you get what I mean) you are looking at the West Bay area which can be really expensive although in recent months the rents seem to have come down. One of the main things to consider about moving here, is where work & school is, because frankly the traffic at rush hour times can be really awful. You might also consider the Pearl for housing which is not too far from that area.

check out Gulf Times for pricing, agents information to give you a rough idea.

If you aren't already a member of expatwoman.com I definitely recommend joining that as there are lots of women there from many different compounds that can give you some advice. If you have children, check out dohamums.com which is a great (and rapidly expanding) group of ladies who will be really helpful when you get here for meeting new people.

Hope that helps :) Good luck with your move

Amanda

Thank you so much for the reply. :)

i'm moving from riyadh to doha too! -it seems to be the in thing at the moment.
we're in the same situation at the moment! we're going to fly to doha for a weekend before we leave to sort things out before hand, it seems alot easier that way. i'll let you know what we find out.
how are you shipping your house there? i've only been able to find one place that will actually be able to do it for us, and they seemed way too expensive too!

Fuchsia, who are you moving your stuff through? i know its expensive, but there isn't many people around who whill actually ship our things there!

Nice to meet others who are also in the moving process. Yesterday our belongings were packed by a company here in Riyadh. It is part of the deal from my husbands company. I am not sure what the cost is or the name of the moving company but I will try to find out. Tomorrow we are leaving for vacation and then we will turn up in Doha in beginning of August, "inshalla"... :)

Sounds like a good thing to go to Doha and prepare before the relocation. Are you house hunting?