Moving to Cuenca 2020!

Hola:

Glad to have found this swell web site.  Sure I will be using it quite a bit. 

I give myself a head ache when I look around the house and see all the stuff that will have to be resolved.  I believe I can escape with just one liftvan crate.  My big question is wondering if I can bring my African Grey parrot? 

I have been helping people for over 30 years with their investments and questions.

See me in a bar next year, say "hey you" and I'll buy you a beer:)

Best Regards,

BadWater  aka  The Voice of Reason

I doubt you can easily. I am a vet so could get the needed paperwork, papers etc done cheaper and easier than most folks. This was for my dogs. I just waited till the passed (they were 12 and 14) and then moved because it would be a pain for me and them.  But I know parrots can live a long time so you might have to bite the bullet and pay alot and have big hassles.

BadWater wrote:

...wondering if I can bring my African Grey parrot?

You may be able to, if you can meet the requirements for showing the bird disease-free.  You can read the importation requirements for birds as pets here:

http://www.agrocalidad.gob.ec/wp-conten … ntales.pdf

You may also want to contact the agency whose website and email address is given in the document, to get the latest information.

Also look at these threads:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=537774https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=480539

The last thread specifically addresses the importation of an African Grey in 2015 which due to an outbreak of avian flu was not permitted to be brought to Ecuador - but the poster indicated that when the ban was lifted it would be possible.

I do not believe you can bring a bird into Ecuador. Dogs and cats yes. We have just re-homed our mini macaw with a great family, in preparation for moving to Salinas in a few weeks. It was not pleasant. But a good family made it more tolerable.

parrotsrest wrote:

I do not believe you can bring a bird into Ecuador.

The government of Ecuador, as outlined in the document whose link I posted above specifically permits at least some birds to be brought into Ecuador as pets - providing you jump through all the official hoops.  The document specifically mentions birds so this is not a matter of belief but of official policy.

Can you disguise that parrot as your wife? Lol

> I doubt you can easily.

The motto of doing anything at all in Ecuador. If there is a way to make it needlessly complicated and pointless, they will. lol

Hence the wife disguise. Are pretend you are a pirate and put it on your shoulder.

Sir:

Thanks for your swell answer and your time.  The bird is only 30 years old and a great minic.  I think finding a good new home would be less stressful and best.

Best Regards,

BadWater

I would like to thank one and all for the answer to my parrot importation.

Cheers Mates,

BadWater

You can't do that. The parrot is 100% more pleasant and talks a lot less, and looks better too! lol