Concerns and Precautions Regarding Dengue Fever

No one seems to have brought this up recently, so I thought I'd ask about this here, since it's in the news.

What precautions do the expats already living in the RP take in connection with this matter?

If you're not already in the RP, does the recent news about this disease impact your retirement plans?

Would you say that if the standard precautions are employed involving clothing, the use of insect repellant with DEET, and avoidance of high risk areas, that the risk of contracting this disease can be kept to a negligible possibility?

I would not say "negligible risk", but certainly "low risk" is possible. Stay out of the forested jungle and provincial areas. Also stay away from squatter areas or heavily urbanized environments where there are things like refuse and old tires that collect standing water.

We live in a condo complex up on a hill where there is more of a breeze and less standing water. They fog regularly. I don't worry about it but two of the niece/nephews from the province contracted dengue this year and had to be hospitalized. Both are fine now.

Always use a cream when out at night.
Keep doors and windows closed as soon as the sun starts going down
Give your house a good blast of mozzie killer when you go shopping or out for a couple of hours

Aside from the obvious, like making sure your home is sealed from the little nasties. Simple precautions like those already mentioned by other posters and not going out in the early morning or late evening without repellant is just common sense.

Although our home is not close to others, we are also not near rice paddies or other standing water sources.  We treat the storm drains around the house with bleach occasionally (especially during rainy season) and when the muzzies come out, we go in.

Check the screens on your house to make sure the seals are in good shape, it is cheap and easy to replace the seals and look for spots in your soffits or interior ceilings where they can get in. 

Pretty much the same precautions we take anywhere.

Where your at has a little to do with dungue I live in the jungle and have for 8 years I have had no problem I do use off every day my brother-in-law lives in a subdivision and has had it twice there are 4 types if you get one and survive you won't get it again but you can get one of the other 3 another friend has had it also living in a subdivision he did not go to the hospital my wife and his wife gather the tawi tawi leave and make a tea he was treated with that for a week and did ok,if you get the fever , the rash you probably have it best go to the hospital they can put you on the IV

Location, Location, Location.....  Mean mama skeeter bites carrier then on subsequent outing gets you with the particularly nasty multifaced virus.  The virus has five types; infection with one type usually gives lifelong immunity to that type, but only short-term immunity to the others. Subsequent infection with a different type increases the risk of severe complications.

A vaccine for dengue fever has been approved and is commercially available in a number of countries. (PI is in middle of political scuffle about it,  one group was getting to much good press for helping with free mass vaccinations and the other group hyped up a couple of kids that may have died from the vaccine).  And  the vaccine is only recommended in those who have been previously infected.  Each year between 50 and 528 million people are infected and approximately 10,000 to 20,000 die.

The alternative name is breakbone fever.  I have personally seen one case and it is very ugly,  makes the flu look like a mild cold.  lt took a very healthy 20 yr old and over more than a week just about killed him despite hospitalization, that of course does not count those that wished for death.

Dengue virus is primarily transmitted by Aedes mosquitos. These mosquitos usually live below an elevation of 1,000 metres (3,300 ft). They typically bite during the early morning and in the evening,  Some do not watch the clock or sun so may bite and thus spread infection at any time of day.   Humans are the primary host of the virus. An infection can be acquired via a single bite. A female mosquito that takes a blood meal from a person infected with dengue fever,over  10 to 20 days the virus spreads to tissues including the mosquito's salivary glands thereafter released into its saliva. The virus seems to have no detrimental effect on the mosquito. Aedes aegypti is particularly involved, as it tends to be people friendly in eating and homebuilding.

So coming to any equatorial lands pose a level of risk.  You either avoid, or do what you can to mitigate the risk.  Your Choice.  I choose the good life here in PI.

Lem