What is your,"Fix" for the times when you are homesick?

My fix is listening to CCR or Tom Petty music.
Used to buy peanut butter . Now we make homemade salsa  .
My husband tells me that I am his ,"American" fix but he is giving me too much credit I think.

I don't know, I never get homesick.

Immerse yourself in the local culture.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My fix is listening to CCR or Tom Petty music.
Used to buy peanut butter . Now we make homemade salsa  .
My husband tells me that I am his ,"American" fix but he is giving me too much credit I think.

I'm very very far from Hungary but I was in a local supermarket and I saw all sorts of US products - Skippy peanut butter, Hershey bars and packets of Oreos.  Possibly all over rated except perhaps the peanut butter. I recognised the names from TV shows and various other trips but meh, you can buy those kinds of things in Hungary easily.   Home made HAS to be better (healthier, cheaper, tastier) than shop bought stuff.

Your hubby is right, it's not the stuff, it's the people.  Points to him! (and you).

stumpy wrote:

Immerse yourself in the local culture.

Agreed.

I'm not Hungarian but I miss my gyulasleves as much as I miss my curry, marmite (not vegemite, ever) and (diet) ginger beer. 

I think it's like the Borg - "...add the culinary and cultural distinctiveness to your own.."

Better for it!

Oh, I am not homesick at all. Haven't felt that way for a very long time.
I don't eat "junk" food per say...I never indulged much in snack foods.
Just wanted to make a new post to see what would happen.
Glad everyone is settled as there is no going home again once you leave, physically yes but mentally people back home move on and things change.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Glad everyone is settled as there is no going home again once you leave, physically yes but mentally people back home move on and things change.

I agree, why bother.  I still think of the UK as home but as the old guard back there fades away, I feel there is less connection with it.   Obviously being a native I still listen to the radio, watch the TV, read the newspapers and books but these are cultural things. I do not miss it that much other than some special times of the year - usually Spring.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I agree, why bother.  I still think of the UK as home but as the old guard back there fades away, I feel there is less connection with it.   Obviously being a native I still listen to the radio, watch the TV, read the newspapers and books but these are cultural things. I do not miss it that much other than some special times of the year - usually Spring.

Then only thing about,"home" to miss is family to me, that's about it, OK once in a blue moon the Taco Bell run. Like I ever really did that, maybe once every 4 or so years.

I once came across a bag of Cheetos in a supermarket, the big 18 oz. size, deep-fried not baked. Hadn't had them in years and couldn't resist. Ate the whole bag in a single evening. (Well, maybe it was a single hour, I forget.) And got deadly sick the next day.

That's one way to cure yourself of homesickness for childhood goodies.