Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

Moving to Vietnam without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Vietnam?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in Vietnam?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

Well, Long distance relationships are tough, it is only trust, which saves the relationship!! Being in Vietnam, i think one can have more opportunities to keep themselves busy, the social life is good. It is not easy to travel across oceans for 3 or 4 times in a year, may be once a year could be possible. To be honest with you, Hanoi ( Vietnam ) is keeps people busy with their work and social life, so the pain is not that much of missing "partner".
Keep having everyday conversations ( not more than 10-15 mins ), may be during weekends spare more time to have a video calls. But again it depends on each individual how they carry on with conversations,  i have few friends, they do talk to their partners only twice in a week or once.
End of the day, having space for yourself and giving the space to your partner is key apart from Trusting each other is most important in long distance relationship. This is my point of view, i am sure every individual has their own opinion, so do not take my opinion for granted!! :)  Good Luck!  Cheers xx

Were it not for technology, the smart phone and FB, there would be no relationship for me because I would never have met my significant other. We met through FB and have chats or video chats almost daily. I recently visited her and we traveled to Đa Lat, Da Nang,  Huề and Họi An. We spent three weeks together and had a wonderful time, after which I returned to the U.S. The plan is for her to visit me in the States; however, obtaining a visa for her will be challenging. The comments on this forum have not been encouraging, to say the least. Although we both would like to spend more time together physically, the video chats make it almost real.

It would be good to know how long you will be seperated.  But in my experience, they don't work.  You will, over time, lose the intimacy of the relationship.  The sharing of experiences.

Good luck.