Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in Thailand

Hello everyone,

Moving to Thailand without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Thailand?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in Thailand?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

Wow. I first got to say; If I was working,  had the kids, and still married, I would not let my spouse leave. Let alone live in another country. Especially Thailand.  Where there is no ability for a foreigner to make any kind of living, alone. I could not be happy without seeing or taking care of my children. What quality of life can one have when their heart is somewhere else? I need family to exist. Without a family is like a farmer who grows nothing.
That being said, what are your real options? Use Skype to talk everyday? Learn Thai? Sell something Online? You are going to have to figure out What Makes You Happy. A Hobby? Yoga? Exercise?  Cooking? No matter how you look at it, eventually life will be prison like. I need to take care of my family to be happy.
I have a purpose.
Maybe write a book. Volunteer?
As a man, my roll is to; Provide very important elements to the family; Peace of Mind. Stability. Protection. Dependability. Strength. Kindness. Understanding. Safety, Money, Love. I needed these elements more then anything else.
My world revolves around you.

Short answer.. IMO.... if a man has a significant other. He would not move to Thailand. Thailand is not a place to find big money nor does it offer a place to live long term easily. Its a place of relaxing, retire, or have fun. Its a paradise as a single man looking for life. I do not believe many can have a comfortable apart distance relationship without jealousy , stress, cheating.. Its not suggested to test it. Thailand has many beautiful sights, temptations, and new discoveries. It's best to come to Thailand as an adventure. Without a relationship left behind and have a heart and mind open for a new and better way of life.

When I arrived in Thailand, after a few months I preferred to close my previous relationship.  I did not create the conditions for an obligation to come and see me.  I believe that the question is subjective for everyone and not as objective as the question poses.

I am from Denmark and we have good jobs with good salary that is enough to have a familie and get by, So there is no need to go other country to work, Away from your familie.

But if they familie want to come to a other country for short period of time 2-3-5 years. Then back when i work, I have no problem doing so.
If we have kid(s), Only if kids not to old, As i do believed our education system is among the best in the world, So i want my kids to have the benefit from that.

Thailand is a option to work in, Lot of work here pay good money, But sadly many people in Thailand think all foreigner work as underpay teacher...

And i do think a short time working in Thailand with you familie around you, Can be a live experience worth it for the whole familie.

But for me back when work, And IF we want to live in other country and work, I think we choose a country part of the EU for many reason, And to be closer to Denmark if we want to come home to see familie.

BUT !!

I have meet many people here in Thailand come from neighboring countries to work in Thailand, As they get pay 3-5 (or more) times more then back home, And they need that money so the familie back home can survive, I can understand why some people do this for the familie, That they sacrifice them self for the familie.

Kindly.