Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in South Africa

Hello everyone,

Moving to South Africa without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in South Africa?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in South Africa?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

It is not easy. However, we make use of the social media to keep in touch. For financial support we make use of the money transfer agencies such as Hello Paisa and Mukuru. We also call each other on regular basis and visit once in every 3 or 6 months.

I met my wife whilst working in Joburg ~9 years ago. She originally was from Durban and I the USA.  When it was time for my term to end I had to leave. But we kept in daily communication via SKYPE for almost a year until she was able to receive her VISA to the USA.  We married (7+ years ago), and she became a dual citizen (S. African & American).  When I retired we chose the Southern Cape (Garden Route) in the Municipality of Mossel Bay.

I have travelled the world (for work) and have found no more beautiful, well-managed place as the Mossel Bay Municipality. The only challenge has been learning Afrikaans of which my wife is fluent and is helping me along.  I know more than I speak, which makes for some interesting observations when out in public.  She being Indian and me White has caused us no issues, no stares, no comments in English nor in Afrikaans.

The only negative I can think of in this location is a limit to culinary diversity.  But the wife and I are both cooks, so we travel the world in our kitchen.

It becomes difficult.And you find it difficult to socialize also as now you are living alone and you can not be part of friends groups who have families.