Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in Russia

Hello everyone,

Moving to Russia without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Russia?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in Russia?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

Hello, Do you mean that how you can maintain your existing relationship ? Or what ? can  you please repeat your question in other way ? thanks !!

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please only post in English on the anglophone forum. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello - My wife and I did this for two years. She was in Russia and me in America. The time difference is so significant, 10 or 11 hours we would communicate briefly twice a day - each in our respective mornings and evenings. We would have longer video calls on weekends. As for travel, we would each come to each other's countries at least once per year, and meet in Europe every 3 months. This worked well for us, but it was challenging for sure - very expensive to travel that often, plus we have three children and would have to make arrangements for them all the time. But it worked well enough and eventually we immigrated and are done with the long distance relationship. Best of luck.