Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in Oman

Hello everyone,

Moving to Oman without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Oman?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in Oman?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

Hi dear
How are you. If you have whatsapp number plese send me we talk on whatsapp

It's up to you & your partner
If both parties are having patience then everything will be good
i think u r from india then time difference won't matter much as oman is only 1hr 30 minutes behind from india
And if you ask about me then i am here since 2 n half years , i was also in a long distance relationship but after some time broke up as she couldn't manage distance
So at the end it depends on you & your partner only , if both can manage then ok

It is a common story of all expacts around the world. I am sure you have accepted the offer to work in Oman after discussing with your partner/family and took this decision.

I would suggest you

1. To always keep in touch with your partner/family via FB or WhatsApp whenever possible (at home or office).   
2. To stay in family areas where you find your community people(ex: Keralite in Ruwi)
3. Many women's like to spend evening in near by gardens with their kids, keep visiting such places and make friends
4. Join Gym(physical exercise is very important)
5. Visit beach gardens you will find many Indian families
6. Malls for entertainment
7. Cooking(never eat from restaurants)

Hello Bhavna

we belive in good relationship, making friendship and social discussions and sharing responsibilities etc.  regular visit to home town.  we think friendship is the best option to staly long distances. 

Ravi

A steady communication keeps a distance strong

I am pankaj singh .I went in oman .in one company name AL zamurad grade and services..
Oman is not Good for worker ..I faced More and more problem....I lost 1lakh ....

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Oman?

Ans. Trust is now a days biggest challenge in maintaining long distance relationships. Very few people remain committed with each other even after several months of distances. In oman particularly you don't have often leaves to travel, besides travelling is also very expensive.

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

Ans. time difference is one reason people often cant give proper attention to their spouse, partners living far from Oman. However those who live in nearby countries wont face any problem.

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?
Ans. Most of expat living in Oman get rarely a chance to visit back within an year due to less off days and travelling expenses.

How do you manage to still have a social life in Oman?
Ans. There are very limited chances of having a proper social life in Oman, since due to language and culture differences from locals , expats remain isolated. Social life in oman is mainly having just a day out on a beach or any of mountain during weekly off days.

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Ans. if that is the case you have to earn sufficient amount to support your children education back there. But still there are lots of emotional problems with children living with a single parent. Additionally your spouse needs to be very co-operative, friendly, loyal and considerate to take this task.

Hi Bhavna,

According to me these points are important to keep your relation strong and perfect.

Make Deadlines in your schedule.This may not always be possible, but knowing how long you have to ‘survive' being apart makes it a lot easier to manage. Even if you can't call an end date, you can agree on a date that you will review things.

Make your priorities and expectations clear.How are things going to work? Every relationship is different, but if you are going to make a long-distance one work you need to talk about how you will manage it.

For us, family time is key so that is a priority. Weekends are about doing things together, and we have planned our holidays to make sure we have things to look forward to.

Time differences and commitments can make it easy for days to slip by without talking…and text messages just don't cut it. I realize it sounds very business-like, but sometimes you have to schedule in when you are going to talk to each other, because otherwise you invariably call while the other one is busy. And it doesn't take many ‘Sorry, can't talk right now' responses to make you feel disconnected.

We speak in the morning when I am driving the kids to school – they can chat to dad on the speakerphone and it's become part of our routine. We Face Time in the evening…it doesn't always happen, but we try and ensure at least a quick ‘Goodnight' before we go to bed.

Plan time to be together.Yep, date nights! Long distance means more planning in my experience. Like any relationship, it's so easy to fall into the habit of not making an effort…especially when you're both tired out.

But, as they say, a change is as good as a rest (not sure if that's actually true….with all these changes we've made I NEVER feel rested). I digress…basically, date nights are a good idea. Being out of the house, away from chores, iPads, to-do lists and, of course, kids, gives you time to focus on each other and actually talk.

So book a babysitter (if you need one…) and get those special dates in the diary.

I am NOT a super-organised person, but we have a shared calendar. I'm embarrassed to admit it is a paper calendar hung by the kettle. But it works for us because I make sure everything is written down here. And, as I am a true Brit and therefore constantly making cups of tea, it gets checked regularly.

But I think we will upgrade to an electronic shared calendar because it does get so hard to keep track of who is doing what and when. In fact, this would be perfect as well for adding in what the kids are doing, so it gives the partner who is away a prompt when they chat to the kids. Ok, I have convinced myself…I will go digital in the New Year!

Be Kind.I know I am a stuck record on this. But be kind to yourself, and each other . Because this is tough. Give yourself a break. And give your partner a break too.

There are no adjustments actually.
Its a huge price people pay, some willingly and some unwillingly.
Like u said "partner is an undeniable source of support."
I'm single but I personally don't believe in the idea of staying away from your partner.