Maintaining a long distance relationship as an expat in Norway

Hello everyone,

Moving to Norway without your significant other can be quite difficult, especially since your partner is an undeniable source of support. This kind of move may require some adjustments from both parties in order to make it a successful one.

What is challenging about being in a long distance relationship in Norway?

How to maintain an adequate level of communication considering differing schedules and time zones?

How often would you travel to each other's location to meet?

How do you manage to still have a social life in Norway?

What hurdles need to be considered if you have left behind children who are under the sole care of your partner?

Thanks for sharing your experience,
Bhavna

Hi!

I started with a long distance ralationship 5 years and a half ago, with my now husband, and let me tell you it's not easy. Takes a lot of patience and trust.
we manage to make this work, always looking for something ahead, planing a visit, making plans for future and getting used to talk with each other all the time, this last one is hard since you and him might work, but talking in between chores at least to give a update on your day or just to send kisses or just to say anything, it helps a lot to make you feel you're connected, this can be hard to do. In my case we were most of the time 7 hours difference, but we tried and got used to hour hours, always set a time to call each other every day.
We manage to see each other for the first time after a year and then due to out schedules again after 2 years and then again after a year, very hard this.
Social life in Norway unfurtunedly its not very existent, people in Norway its very private and hard to make friends with but for now I'm fine with my husband and son.
so the tip I will recommend the most is, talk all the time no meter what, constant calls and communication is the key here and always have a plan for the new future.