Buying a used car from private person

Hello All,

I read another forum post detailing the process involved in buying a used car.  I am planning on buying a used car from Muharraq, the person selling the car has said we need to go to the insurance company, change the name and then go to the police station. 

My question question, do we need to go the traffic directorate in Isa town (as suggested in another forum post) or will be it ok to just do things at the police station in Muharraq?

Any help will be much appreciated.

J

Car transfers are handled at the traffic directorate.  Not sure why you need to go to the police station.

Thank you XTang, it might be a case of the language barrier.  I will speak to him again. 

Do you know when the traffic directorate closes? it says they close at 6pm on their web site but 4pm on Google maps, does anyone know which is correct?

Thank you

Depends on what you are trying to do.  They close in evening for stuff like car inspections and so on but some areas close much earlier then that.   I don't remember the exact times but as is the case with all government departments, go there early in the morning.  Less hassle that way.

Sadly for me I can't take any time off work.  I think the seller means Muharraq traffic station, it maybe like the Saar mall traffic place they do some of the same work as the general directorate of traffic.  I will check on Sunday when they open.

The Lulu Mall Hidd traffic kiosk handles transfers and they are open i believe till 7.

Thank you logicalindian, I will mention this to the seller.

I checked with the traffic police and they said the Muharraq security complex (closes at 4) does deal with transfer of vehicles and a number of other things that are done in the Isa town traffic directorate. 

Does anyone know if a Bahraini driving license is needed in the process of transferring ownership of a vehicle or is just the CPR needed?  I have a UK/international driving license.

I would assume that they would ask for a driving license.  They do for registering new cars so it shouldn't be different on transfer.  Let us know if you find out differently.

The transfer of ownership and insurance changes were possible with just a UK driver's license and CPR card.  I've bought two cars now, one was completed in Muharraq and the other at Isa town.

Thanks for the update.