Some questions about driving in Vietnam...

Just some Qs for any locals to help me get my head around driving a motorbike here...

I've noticed many people on bikes here don't wear helmets, and do run red lights. What are the rules on this, and why are so many allowed to ignore them?

As a driver approaching a green light, when might I expect that someone sitting at a red light crossing my street will run the red light? I've found the key to driving safety is being able to anticipate the actions of other drivers (signal when turning, etc.), but I can't figure out when I should anticipate this.

Are people who follow traffic laws considered to be losers, foolish, etc.?

Why don't Vietnamese criticize each others driving? It could be that I just haven't seen it or don't understand it, but based on my experience in America, if you drive poorly, other drivers will be happy to let you know.

I've noticed many motorbikes will have a face mask covering the number plate on the back. What is the purpose of this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

No, you would still considered as a moron if you run redlight... rules are basically same that any western country. Just some have old mentallity that if car and motorcycle crash it is car fault always.  And they are counting that people avoid them when they run red light. You see this when passenger wave their arm to avoid them. Personally I don't give a F and already collected my electric scooter badge for my car, I just hope that next time she thinks twice to run res lights.  :cool:

And yes you should read or try to read their behavior while driving and always expect them to do something stupid.

Ou and helmets are also mandatory

This all about people midset. They have to change their minds to love others, and then the people will care for others no matter driving or walking.

These are the reasons I've been living in HCMC for almost 4 years and still refuse to drive on the streets. I use Grab Bike, taxi. or other alternatives. I also do a lot of walking. 

Basically, all it takes is a little coffee money to turn the officers face the other way. As a result, nobody follows the law and nobody seems to care.

The roads are extremely unsafe and you should be alert 'constantly' and 'always expect the unexpected' if you are going to drive on them.

The only good news I can give you is that Grab Bike is very affordable and the drivers have grown-up driving on these streets so they are better prepared for anything and everything.

I love the people of Vietnam (I've been here 4 years) but I'm sorry I have nothing good to say about the streets.

There is currently a big splurge on expats riding bikes without a license. First thing - get a VN license.
Traffic in the major cities is crazy any time of the day, smaller cities not so bad but always look all around you and expect the worse.
Beautiful country, lovely people, mad traffic!

amada1280 wrote:

Just some Qs for any locals to help me get my head around driving a motorbike here...

I've noticed many people on bikes here don't wear helmets, and do run red lights. What are the rules on this, and why are so many allowed to ignore them?

This seems like your first trip to a developing country. Generally, throughout the ASEAN region, with the exception of Singapore, law enforcement is lax, Both riding without a helmet for bikes over 50 cc and running red lights are against the law. Usually there are no repercussions though, so people just do what they want.

As a driver approaching a green light, when might I expect that someone sitting at a red light crossing my street will run the red light? I've found the key to driving safety is being able to anticipate the actions of other drivers (signal when turning, etc.), but I can't figure out when I should anticipate this.

At all times. The possibility that someone will run the light is constant. If you are going to drive or even ride a bike, you will need to always maintain extreme vigilance and situational awareness.

Not sure really. In general, I would say no. But if you are sitting at a light and no traffic is coming the other way, it's kind of easy to feel foolish yourself.

Why don't Vietnamese criticize each others driving? It could be that I just haven't seen it or don't understand it, but based on my experience in America, if you drive poorly, other drivers will be happy to let you know.

Most Southeast Asians avoid conflict with people they don't know. Also, what benefit would they receive by doing so?

I've noticed many motorbikes will have a face mask covering the number plate on the back. What is the purpose of this?

Haven't really noticed that myself. Are you in Ha noi or Sai Gon, or....? Anyway, I would guess they are thieves who plan to snatch phones, bags, necklaces, etc.

"I've noticed many motorbikes will have a face mask covering the number plate on the back. What is the purpose of this?"

I have been driving here for 15 years and never seen this.

amada1280 wrote:

Do you think the middle finger salute and a string of curse words, which very often lead to road rage, is better than a passive reaction?

amada1280 wrote:

These are mostly good questions. As dangerous as driving is here, it is even more dangerous to ignore the local customs.

amada1280 wrote:

Vietnam actually has very high compliance with the helmet law, and lack thereof is one of the few things regularly ticketed by traffic cops. Yes Vietnam has laws against running red lights, speeding, driving the wrong way, on sidewalks, etc. Why are the laws not enforced? We don't know. I never see police cruising for rule breakers, they only setup checkpoints. I think the police-to-population ratio is very small.

amada1280 wrote:

As a driver approaching a green light, when might I expect that someone sitting at a red light crossing my street will run the red light? I've found the key to driving safety is being able to anticipate the actions of other drivers (signal when turning, etc.), ...

In the US, "running a red light" almost always means a person didn't see the signal and just shoots through, like it is green; it is an accident, not a deliberate decision. It is rare there, and it is rare here.

The common activity here is that a driver will approach the intersection and self-justify: "no cops in sight, I am in a big hurry, I can make it if I just dodge these other vehicles". It is an anarchy that you never see in the US except at 3:00am.

amada1280 wrote:

... but I can't figure out when I should anticipate this.

Driving Rule #1 in Vietnam is don't hit anything. Rule #2 is drive defensively. I have never seen better defensive motorbike drivers. It takes trust in peripheral vision and split-secod timing judgements from experience.
(Just motorbikes though, you put a Vietnamese in a car, and they short circuit.)

amada1280 wrote:

:o:unsure

amada1280 wrote:

You will learn that Vietnamese are normal people like everywhere. Some are successful, most all are law-abiding and avoid trouble, a few are jerks. Don't judge people by their driving skills, I lived in Germany and Germans were Mr Hyde on the road, Dr Jekyll in person.

You need to live in a different culture for awhile to learn about your own. For example, Americans live under a million laws and are very law abiding, yet quick to moral outrage when a person upsets social convention. Which leads to cries for more laws to be self righteous about. Protests, road rage, whining, law suits: that's America.

My Vietnamese family is not judgmental, nor were Thai or Indonesians when I was there. It is called "live-and-let-live", living under a lot more personal freedom than you are used to.

We just moved into an eagle's nest 24 floors over a busy intersection, in a wilder district of Saigon. From here, I estimate only 5% are red-light violating traffic anarchists, 5% drive on the wrong side, though sure, 25% will jump the sidewalk when there is a breakdown on the bridge.

amada1280 wrote:

I've never seen that. Must be a good place to store masks.

amada1280 wrote:

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Have fun. A motorbike is the best way and the Vietnamese way to get around.  :top:

if you drive reasonably slow and assume everyone is an idiot on the road you'll be fine. People can also "pop" out of lane ways at speed without looking ̣assuming you will accommodate them and also trucks think its ok to overtake you on your left side when you are turning left into a side street. In this situation you always want to check behind you before turning else you can be easily killed. One more thing, if you see the police, turn around and go the other way :)

One thing that has changed here in Nha Trang is the amount of cars. Two years ago there was the odd car here and there. Now they are everywhere which adds another dimension to the hazards of riding a scooter. I think it's safe enough here though if you just take it nice and slow and assume the worst can happen in every situation. Also try and avoid the heavy intersections. The biggest hurdle to overcome for a new rider is understanding that the road lanes can be multidirectional for scooters.

I think walking on foot is probably more dangerous...the worst thing you can do whilst crossing the road is take a step backwards (which btw is the instinctual reaction when some nut rides in front of you at speed).

I'm thinking the main beach road at Nha Trang could use a few pedestrian underpasses.