Retiring to the Philippines

What are your top 5 tips for retiring to the Philippines?

Don't x 5

Why not?

Have you and, if so, what do you most dislike?

Since 1990
Not worth the effort!

I'm moving there at the first part of next year. Proactively speaking, I feel the one of the most important thing is to not wait until all of your business affairs are concluded before making your move. To make your move a reality, I've concluded it's mandatory to charge some losses to "the game".

Welcome SDMiller57.

I would suggest the most important tip for those moving here is to take time to get to know the place and the culture before making any large or permanent commitments. Like several visits, or living here for at least a year. It is a developing country, and as such it takes some getting used to. Lack of infrastructure, noise, pollution, litter everywhere, etc.

Some don't mind it, some have difficulty (I'm in the latter category, unfortunately). But I love my girlfriend and her kids, and we have a lot of fun. I have to get out for a few months a year though, and still have property in the States to return to. For me personally, it would be rough if I didn't have that option.

Elaborate please

Elaborate on what? The situation in a developing country or not being able to take it all the time? Haha, not sure how to answer. First question - Have you been to the Philippines? If so then you probably understand what I'm taking about. If you haven't, then there's no way you could.

If you read some of the threads here you will see common problems such as incessant noise, barking dogs, traffic congestion and air pollution in cities, garbage on the streets and in the rivers, etc. Some of us aren't used to dealing with those issues and prefer to take a break from it now and then.. others leave after a few years and don't come back. Whatever you do, do not close off your options unless you know the place well and are making an informed decision.

There is also a lot of poverty, and a huge wealth disparity, with a few families controlling much of the wealth, and crime resulting from drugs and poverty. Philippines has one of the worst ratings for "impunity" meaning if someone wants to kill you they probably will, and no one will investigate it very far.  Finding a safe and quiet place to live can be difficult for some expats, especially those on a budget.

The people are generally nice, many work hard for very little and make do with what they have.. but life is hard and often short. Families are everything and I see a lot of happy smiling faces, and have never felt threatened personally. I respect the people and don't go out to bars or complain.  As expats, we can all help in little ways - helping a poor family out with some rice or school supplies, sending a kid to the dentist, or an adult for a check up.

Sdmiller57 wrote:

1. If you haven't been here. Read as much as you can from other expat experiences and watch a few youtube videos from the many expats who are quite willing to share their experiences in the RP.
2. Using Airbnb, Flipkey, or search on line for rentals (just type "for rent Tagaytay" into your browser, or the city of choice) and get to know the area before you make a more permanent decision.
3. Trust no one until it's earned. Your foreigner status for many is an invitation to scam you. Don't flash cash, wear a lot of bling, brag or be rude. Embarrassing a Filipino in front of his or her friends causes them to lose face and could end up being big trouble for you, don't argue, walk away.
4. If you haven't been here before, you may find a lot of younger ladies flirting with you, think with the head on your shoulders and be careful, there are a lot of scammers looking for wallet access. Though there are also many who are just looking for a good man. Be patient.
5. Know in advance what your likes and dislikes are as far as lifestyle.  The farther out in the country you get the less available are things like shopping, building materials, medical care, Immigration offices, airports, good restaurants, dependable utilities and airports.  Lowland areas are hot and steamy most of the year and you may want AC to cool off, dependable power is a must for the AC.  Higher elevations like Baguio or Tagaytay offer cooler temps year round. 

Read and research. Take a map of the Philippines and familiarize yourself with the areas you hear expats talking about. List the pros and cons of areas that interest you with regard to personal likes, recreation, immigration, hospitals, shopping, entertainment, malls, beaches, transportation, dependable utilities and housing costs. 
You can then whittle down your choices to those that offer a little of everything you feel are necessary for your lifestyle and needs. 

There are expats living all over the RP. Each has his own reason for enjoying the area in which he lives, while others may have an extreme dislike for the same area.  Point being, it's up to you to choose wisely. Due diligence is key to making a wise choice.

Lastly, always have enough money set aside for an emergency exit from the RP.  You do not want to be stuck here should you decide to leave. 

Regards.

I was asking lasvegan

Sdmiller57 wrote:

I was asking lasvegan

Asking what?

Sdmiller57 wrote:

I was asking lasvegan

Well interesting negatives from the OP. Let's start again, firstly welcome to the forum and hope you gain knowledge from those offering/contributing suggestions with regards to this post and mayhap others.

Perhaps you could introduce yourself and what you are really searching for instead of a blank canvas opening. (Mate it could have been 10 or 20 and all members here can supply 30 answers)
All the input provided by members to your OP is offered to assist based on your opening question (very  broad) and may I suggest some great info supplied with no disregard to yourself and also no thanks from yourself for members input, time spent and suggestions to date offered. I appreciated the input provided by members and agree with most.
Settle back and spend the time to read here and other sites to gain info.

Cheers, Steve.

Sdmiller57 wrote:

And my answer? Have you sir the time to hear all that is Filipino? Are you asking for positives, negatives or a mix?
Have you ever been to the Philippines (my question to you) and tasted the people, country, dirt, culture, idiosyncrasies, corruption, frustration and I could go on. The beautiful scenery, Filipino time, the smiles and always help offered from both beggars and wealthy, financial windfalls, the love of a partner, family orientations and again I could go on as I tend to do. (lol ask the members, research and do it again).

My top 5 tips Sd:

1/ Single on a budget PH. is not the first port of call.

2/ Partnered on a budget with a pinay in toe, taste the flavours then perhaps move on.

3/ If you are arrogant/pompous/short tempered/easily led astray by opportunists/ hate traffic or a tropical climate. Wrong country.

4/ Business  practices, banking, immigration, renting/buying/purchased, shopping, the legal system, internet, phone technology systems, electricity, cable/satellite TV,  phone plans with no voice mail, bottle deposits on a case of beer.

5/ Dealing with locals both advantageous or you got ripped off no matter the local cafeteria or a tradesman proffering expertise and then borrowing tools,

6/ whoops that would be too much info. To our OP please share.

Cheers, Steve.

Most of these people live in gated subdivisions and have no idea about real Filipinos they are here because most woman in their country wouldn't give them the time of day, I get a kick out of watching them being lead around by their girl friend the one with 2 kids, no one can tell you what to expect so don't worry just go with the flow I first came to the philippines in 1964 out of the army

Interesting observation/take Okieboy and I'm glad you said many and not all. Perhaps off topic as the OP asked for 5 tips for retiring to PH. LOL in 1964 I was only a 5 Y/O.
Perhaps you could enlighten us to the Philippines in that era with another post, I for one would love to hear the comparisons from the old guard.

Back to your post and only from my observations "most" (generalised) foreigners live within Filipino communities and not gated subdivisions for many reasons, love, finances, location (not in a restricted "subdivision"). "Many" of us mingle, laugh, hug, share, give, take, enjoy the local un gated surroundings/life. Asking these people westerners I meet, are they on expat sites is met generally with "what's an expat site"? Old school that have lived and made their lives without lots of tripe "yes guilty" or read between the lines, don't judge foreigners living in PH. based only on expat sites, as I always say, "get your hands dirty and then some".

I am simply a newbie, 8 years working and living here, PH. back and forth to Oz, recently took over our home there that we purchased some years ago, while yes mostly internationals in our chosen area, we deal daily with locals. (research)
I'm afraid to say that I and my better half enjoy living absolute beach front, 4 kms from town, quiet respectful neighbourhood, no barking dogs, no rubbish on our streets/locale friendly and no security guards needed, down side the occasional burning of rubbish/trash and an inept/vague aptitude, a topic already covered in hundreds of posts.

Choosing a partner that leads you through the malls  with a nose ring is for another thread and I am sure the OP will see the obvious with a little research. Yes while prattling on, this submission only touches base within question number one of the 5, as said let's move it out to 10 or 20, seriously there is no need to stereotype foreigners that chose to call PH. home and where they live is a choice governed by many factor.

CheersSteve.

I was asking them to elaborate. That's all.

I'm the OP. I don't recall any negatives. I thought it was a good question, but it seems maybe it was not. I was merely looking for some thoughts. Thank you to those who offered them. I'll continue to follow the forms and I'm sure, benefit from the comments.

Thanks!

Sdmiller57 wrote:

I'm the OP. I don't recall any negatives. I thought it was a good question, but it seems maybe it was not. I was merely looking for some thoughts. Thank you to those who offered them. I'll continue to follow the forms and I'm sure, benefit from the comments.

Thanks!

Your OP question Sdmiller was very vague and obviously will receive both positive and negative input, varied opinions and left field comments such as my own. Sd, you did receive input both good and bad and I asked you as a courtesy to introduce yourself so that members can offer decent input and advice based on your situation/needs and their (members) experiences.

There is an introductory for new members at the top of the forum listing or you can do it here.

Different take on your OP 5 questions and a little different to earlier answers from myself and others.

Negatives/observations.

1/ Have plenty of money. Don't be a tight ar*e.
2/ Pick up a girl and the family that comes with her, have even more money or nip it in the bud day one as the wise do.
3/ 3rd world developing nation expect little when it comes to services/technology and western norms.
4/ Select where you decide to live extremely wisely and then some, don't ever lock yourself into something you will probably regret.
5/ Traffic, road rules unfollowed/pollution/corruption/opportunism and naivety abound depending on how street wise you are/become.

Positive/observations.

1/ Have plenty of money. Definitely be a tight ar*e and farm it out as you see fit.
2/ live a single life, partnered  no different to other countries first or third world.
3/ There are plenty of cheaper places to live than PH. they also offer better services and conditions, research sunshine. Visa requirements are harsher in those counties.
4/ If you are serious, read/research then do it over and over to learn as the converted have.
5/ Welcome to the Philippines, or as the locals say "it's more fun in the Philippines" open to conjecture from my measly 8 years here but prospering.
6/ An extra one. If you find comfort and love in PH. then go back to 1 and 2.

At the end of the day Sd, we can only offer opinions based on your info supplied, asked, scant at best and perhaps time to give/reach out for definitive answers.

Cheers, Steve.

When I came to the Philippines it was an invitation from a Filipino first Sgt. In my unit he was retiring same time I was getting out, and wanted me to come to the Philippines and stay with him and his family, this was in April 1964 I stayed a few weeks and returned about every year I had a vacation if I remember I had to have a visa before I came, the peso to the dollar was about 3 to 1 but things were in centavos than ,it was as I look back so poor, very few foreigners where I was in Mindano I live here now and things are better but still a long way to go, corruption is in the culture it won't go away easy, I think also the different parts of the country have different culture, you have adapt, keep your eyes and ears open when you get here, learn don't get friendly with people quick,after a few years you will be wise enough to either go or stay

These are GENERALIZATIONS!  Not applicable to all people nor all situations.  They only represent a significant percentage of probability.  You can mitigate alot of this static by simply not being an arrogant, my way is the only way, tourist.  The choice is yours.

1, Like Dorothy said, "we are not in Kansas anymore" .  You are not Philippino foriegner, and never will be!  YOU must be willing to make the many attitude adjustments needed to live within a VERY different culture.  If not be rich enough to create your own little oasis mimicking as much as possible your home and being very offensive to your neighbors.

2.  Navigating the changes in daily life will be extremely difficult on your own.  Surprise when you walk into a government office and hear the tapping and smell the ink and oil of typewriters and have to look hard to find computers.  Not just antiquated methods and procedures but will also seem to you to be absurd, inefficient, silly, ........  But it works here about as well bureaucracy does anywhere else on this planet.

3. This place is Asian.  Workers have no ability to go outside their procedures, bend the rules, give any more effort than is required by their position, Many can bend if an additional gratuity beyond the kano tax is offered.   Oh the kano tax is sometimes applied because you are a rich foreigner.

This IS NOT a generalization but a tried and true law:
4. Your road will be greatly smoothed out by a wonderful Philippino woman.  One committed enough to deal with the cultural differences in a lifetime relationship.  Once the ooey gooey stars in the eyes, birds sing phase ends,  You do not approach, or solve disagreements in a compatible manner.  Many of the expectation each is to meet are different....  Commitment of real Jesus taught love is the only solution.  We can blend the strengths of our cultures into something wonderful while trashing many of each cultures weaknesses...

5. your pockets will become dry with a not so wonderful woman.  But that is another topic.

Teejay -- solid advice throughout. This should be on the expat homepage, as it applies universally. For the Philippines, I would add that family is everything - if you don't have one in the Philippines, you'll probably have a more difficult time assimilating and enjoying the culture. I have visited, I think, 7 times, and we're moving there permanently next spring. I am really looking forward to it.

1. Send yourself a Balikbayan box with all of your essentials. The first thing I would include is any OTC meds you use. Neosporin, Tylenol, Cold meds etc. You can't just go buy tylenol here. You have to spek to a pharmacist who will recommend an OTC.

2. Bring 3-5k to set yourself up. That will include renting and furnishing an apartment, installing AC, buying a washer, and such. I blew through 3k pretty fast my first month.

3. Make sure you have enough income. You  can come here and live on $1,000 a month, but I wouldn't. I would plan on twice that.

4. Get an S&R membership. It's a warehouse club like Sam's Club and it's where you will find things like American coffee.

5. If you are a veteran you will acclimate faster. If not, you have what we call the crud from the local germs so expect to get a little sick. You can also expect swollen feet for a few weeks. You should get through it just fine. Worst case you might need an antibiotic if you get bronchitis.

We moved back to retire here in 2015. Wife is Filipina and I'm retired military and civil service.

1. Do your do diligence to find out all you can about living here. Hopefully you are familiar with philippines. Learn about cultural differences.

2. Establish a minimum time that you would stay here before you ever think about returning to your home country. I gave myself 4 years. It took that long to adjust living here.

3. If you are not definitely about staying here put your things in storage. After couple years if you are sold on it. Return home sale you things.

4. Make sure you have enough money to live on here. There isn't a safety net for expats. It's nice if you have a couple of pensions. Or a lot savings to sustain yourself here. I would suggest you have a couple banks (better credit unions) in home country that your pension goes to. Bring money over as needed. If you need borrow for like car, credit unions have better rates.

5.  Come here being very flexible. If you have anger issues don't come. Prepare to expect the unexpected. Attitude is everything here. Patience is a big bonus here. Focus on more positives here than negatives. There is so much more but you will learn.

Hmm Lotta advice here so might throw my 2cents in. I first to the Phils in 1979 for a couple of weeks and stayed a couple of months and have routinely been back many many times. I/we own a couple of properties in the Visayas.
But it boils down to who you get involved with . The good the bad or the ugly and that shapes your life experiences and draw you in or repel you like oil and water. Be enthusiastic and slow to make any big decisions, for the most part just go with the flow. Laugh at what's funny  and remember that the event is important not the timing of it. So things dont  happen on time rarely if ever, go with it :)
Me, I got lucky and ended up with the good and knowing some really great people who helped me  greatly and in return I have helped them and others as well.
Things have changed greatly since my arrival back in the late 70's for the most part for the good. The man at the helm I like at least he gets things done and hes intolerant of many things that were screwing up the Phils. From my point of view hes good for the county, unorthodox yes and rough around the edges and not every one cup of tea. But as Napoleon said 'if you want to make an omelette you must break some eggs '.

lasvegan wrote:

Don't x 5

:lol::lol::lol:

1) keep your money in your bank back home, write a paper check each month and deposit in an acct here,it takes a month to clear so stay a month ahead, it will save you a lot of money on atm fees and wire fees etc !
dont let anyone use your debit card not even your wife or girlfriend...ever.

2) dont trust anyone. ever. even if you have known them 10 years and they are your neighbor or wifes family (especially wifes family!) just say good morning etc smile and do not get involved, dont loan borrow or help anyone...ever. be it tools money rice whatever. dont get involved in any way shape or form..just smile say hello etc. Never allow anyone inside your house. make a place like front porch where you socialize or your wife socializes.

3) dont give pesos to kids or let them hang out at your place or become uncle so and so to them. you may end up in jail or paying some accuser alot of money at the very least you will get too much stress in the end to make it worth it.

4) let your wife or girlfriend ask about prices for you and give her pocket money to pay cabs motorcycles hotels etc. or you will pay double. sometimes stand out of sight while she makes purchase or they will know you are with her -paying.

5) rent somewhere for at least a year before buying any land house etc. or forever..
never buy land from your wife/girlfriends family. never live near your wife/girlfriends family.
wherever you live try to meet the police captain the brngy captain the mayor etc. some are good to know some are backstabbers,but good to know them before you need them.
if you DO buy land or plan to build a home, make sure the person has the title and latest tax declaration, or dont bother.
once you have the title in hand and have hired private engineer to measure and confirm lot, build a wall around it at least 3 sides and a fence on the other side. try to have extra land not to be occupied by your house, for walking and looking at garden/flowers sitting outside drinking coffee etc. INSIDE your walls.
never become friends with your neighbors to the point you are INVOLVED with them. smile wave say hello when leaving and coming home and never loan them or borrow anything from them.
meet friends/other foreigners at places they hang out. you and your wife/girlfriend may decide to allow one of these people/couples you met away from your house to enter it at some point.

if you follow these things strictly you may have an enjoyable stress free retirement.

LemSaDipolog says : "your pockets will become dry with a not so wonderful woman"....yes this is an extremely valid point.

Yes you will have all your money and very few friends if any, your women may well leave . What then back to square one? You cant own land that will have to be in your wife's name so that will stretch your trust some to say the least. I would think entertaining on the front porch will eventually take care of all your visitors, so that should work ok in the long run.

If you distrust the Filipino so much why in Gods name would you want to live there.

Some of us move here with our eyes wide open and others with delusional dreams of utopia which the Philippines is certainly not. While I don't want to sound/be cynical many members new and old (especially new) that have been here for 5, 10 20 years suddenly get a bee in their bonnet, find an expat site to bleat and rant because they were taken to the cleaners, more fool them. Is any other country any different?
I can reminisce after 22 years of marriage then divorce where my ex took 60% of our net worth,,,,, over a million bucks back then, (15 years ago) them the breaks, smarter and wiser now. No matter where you live the pitfalls are there for the gullible (guilty also) so we lick our wounds and move on.

Some share their experiences for all to see and debate continuously while others rant and rave after the horse has bolted perhaps looking for a salve. As my dear departed dad used to say "God helps those that help themselves".

Cheers, Steve.

“99% of all problems can be solved by money - and for the other 1% there's always the local 80% proof tanduay rhum!.”
Just saying!

:D

read the whole thread, a lot of good info here.

My advise, don't let the bad discourage you but don't let the good lead you blindingly into a whole new country either.

Visit first, I'd say at least a year. Rent first, DON'T BUY, do research, find a place that is suitable for you based on your budget, you like hot ?  cold ? beach ? what about your eating habits ? You may want to be closer to the city if you enjoy malls, nice restaurants and mega markets where food choices are endless. or You rather the tropical style of Boracay, Palawan or Cebu ? or cool cold higher altitude regions of Tagatay or Baguio ? these are only the more commonly known visitor areas, there's a lot of other expats that resides in other areas. You want a house or condo ? both have pro's & cons. for House - Gated areas are great albeit a bit more pricey, but my missus always worried about my safety more than saving a few bucks.  There are foreigners here that lives in non gated communities with their GF/Wife and they are doing just fine. Traffic Traffic Traffic, You have been warned. Farther away from the city, better the air and probably less noise, unless you have a crazy neighbor who thinks they are the next Taylor Swift. After a year or more, you can decide then if you want to stay, or just move to another location. Just remember as a foreigner, you can't own land but there are other legal methods which protects you but this will require a lawyer, legal research and probably have to jump thru a few hoops, in case your GF or wife decides to call the cops and have you thrown out. Most would say this is probably too much hassle for it to be worth it, if you have a good significant other, it's simple. If not, they will probably try to burn you.

wait.. isn't that everywhere  ?  :D

FYI visitor's visa is very easily obtainable. Your options are endless.

2) Like anywhere in the world, there are cons and gold diggers running around that will take advantage of you if you let them, stay vigilant. Stay Vigilant, did I say Stay Vigilant?

3) This place can be beautiful or it can be a nightmare for you, you really need to approach with a open mind.

4) As for you, since you are planning to retire. Maybe you'd want to invest in a small business here just to keep some income rolling in ? Be careful of #2

5) Why would you want to live in your GF family area anyway? That's just asking for trouble as I'm sure anyone with in laws will have already experienced. That unwanted family member that always shows up unannounced and never leaves.....  :D

If it is your first visit, I would suggest traveling to different cities first to see what you might prefer.

I have been here over a year, married 8 months, and I have adjusted to the different pace.  It took a while to adjust to seeing slums, squalor, and trash.  Many YT vloggers only show the modern parts of cities, which is unrealistic.  People here are used to crowded conditions that would annoy most Westerners.  The large cities and urban centers of smaller cities are full of smog, to the point I start wheezing. 

If you are here to meet a woman, make sure you have a backup plan if things don't work out.  I was fortunate in that the nurse I had been chatting with was the real deal, but I also had chatted other women just in case.

Make sure your health is tip top before you come, because health care here can be 1960's nostalgia, especially outside of Manila or Cebu.  With CV19 lockdowns here, medical care is restricted to local hospitals, no ferries running.  Many pharmacies do not stock common OTC items, nor do the stock many prescription meds, due to the locals not being able to afford it.

If you are a big or tall man, they do not sell clothes or shoes that will fit, usually.

thewoodenpotter
23 October 2019 04:34:49
66 posts
Cebu City, Central Visayas says :

Yes you will have all your money and very few friends if any, your women may well leave . What then back to square one? You cant own land that will have to be in your wife's name so that will stretch your trust some to say the least. I would think entertaining on the front porch will eventually take care of all your visitors, so that should work ok in the long run.

If you distrust the Filipino so much why in Gods name would you want to live there.

WOODENPOTTER...my wife has been here all her life and she has no friends, she says they are all just plastic,so she kinda half-ass talks with them but doesnt really give them any information. she says everyone here is like that (she calls them associates or classmates). i dont speak bisayan so all i can go by is the big smiles i see everyone give me. but i have been told by english speaking people here that so and so was talking bad about me,only to be told by another so and so that the last so and so was badmouthing me..LOL  honestly, nobody here trusts anybody here.
but i wish someone would have told me those things before i moved here, it would have saved me a lot of stress and money. i am careful and I read up on the culture etc before i moved here and I take normal precautions. but i had no idea the thinking and values deep inside was so different than say, someone from japan or USA or canada or australia.  after living here for 5 years and visiting five years before that i am still shocked when i dig into what someone is saying or ask deeply of my wife what someone meant by something they said. i say ask deeply because most of the time she is embarassed to tell me what is really going on in these peoples brains, so she just skims over the jist of what was meant or said. she knows what they are saying or thinking would be viewed by me as dishonest at the least and sick&twisted or criminal and sometimes just pure evil , so she is "shy" to tell me flat out what is going on around me. but i have been here long enough to know that after they walk by and flash that big smile at me they are spitting..
and i have invited people into my home to offer steady  work to help them and had money disappear..
and have offered to buy a boat and let them use it everyday to get fish to feed their family,,and had money disappear, without even a thanks for the offer
i have taken peoples kids to the dentist and paid for it and their parents give me dirty looks now..
i did donate a water tank to the brngy and plant flowers around it and seen them pissing on it..
i have given out vitamins and bug shampoo for lice and given neighbors kids that play with my kids small christmas gifts..
and i did watch from my terrace and if i saw someone needing a tool or some help doing something went down to offer..
and i have bought tuba and sat and drank with them..and loaned money for broken boat motor parts..
i paid half the village to help me when i built this house mixing cement or whatnot, not because i needed it just to make community..and give everyone a chance
and they still snort a big hocker and spit after they walk by me and flash their big smiles
so yeah..i am starting to get trust issues etc.

but this is only the behavior of  400 people or so people and  I KNOW they ALL cant be like THIS.,hahahaa...(i just know it..)

I'm not in a retirement age yet, but I can probably still hand out a few tips, having stayed here and worked here for 2 years and counting. First of all, why would you want to retire in the Philippines unless you haven't got the budget to retire in Thailand or a more 'safer' country?

There are much more ideal and affordable countries to retire and live in like Thailand, Vietnam, etc. Philippines is a country where you need to hold on to your money with all your strength to avoid getting it pulled out of your pocket. You need to stand your ground against 1) taxi drivers 2) tricycle drivers 3) women who are after your money (most of them are) 4) beggars 5) squatters 6) people who are trying to set you up for a crime where you'll be liable for paying for damages to get out of it 7) policemen and officials if they try to eject money from you. You need to stay alert and aware 24 hours a day in order to stay safe here, if you're a white guy. And this applies to ALL white guys and westerners staying here, as the first thing Filipinos will look at is your skin color, not the way you behave around them. They don't care how you act, as long as you're white, you'll be perceived as white and rich man. This is not the case in Thailand or Vietnam, where it depends more on how you act and who you hang out with.

I would suggest, unless you're going to work in the Philippines as an ex-pat or an employee and make a constant salary every month, don't stay in Manila or Luzon (Angeles) or Cebu because these are the areas where people will mostly be looking for you because of your money. If you want to retire, pick a place like Batangas, Baguio, Davao (in Mindanao) or any place that's relatively far away from the center of the Philippines and has a low rate of foreigners living or staying there. Those are my tips. Don't get too close to Manila, and if you do, hold on to your money and don't give money to anyone here regardless on what they're offering or trying to give to you.

I know some expats who are really paranoid in the Philippines like soonretired. But they will feel much better when they start to learn about the culture and foremost they learn the local language. 99% of the problems are linked to language barriers. The Filipinos are not often comfortable to speak in English, they will tell you "nose bleed !", but be more fluent after 3 beers or more :-)

Soonretired wrote:

thewoodenpotter
23 October 2019 04:34:49
66 posts
Cebu City, Central Visayas says :

WOODENPOTTER...my wife has been here all her life and she has no friends, she says they are all just plastic,so she kinda half-ass talks with them but doesnt really give them any information. she says everyone here is like that (she calls them associates or classmates). i dont speak bisayan so all i can go by is the big smiles i see everyone give me. but i have been told by english speaking people here that so and so was talking bad about me,only to be told by another so and so that the last so and so was badmouthing me..LOL  honestly, nobody here trusts anybody here.
but i wish someone would have told me those things before i moved here, it would have saved me a lot of stress and money. i am careful and I read up on the culture etc before i moved here and I take normal precautions. but i had no idea the thinking and values deep inside was so different than say, someone from japan or USA or canada or australia.  after living here for 5 years and visiting five years before that i am still shocked when i dig into what someone is saying or ask deeply of my wife what someone meant by something they said. i say ask deeply because most of the time she is embarassed to tell me what is really going on in these peoples brains, so she just skims over the jist of what was meant or said. she knows what they are saying or thinking would be viewed by me as dishonest at the least and sick&twisted or criminal and sometimes just pure evil , so she is "shy" to tell me flat out what is going on around me. but i have been here long enough to know that after they walk by and flash that big smile at me they are spitting..
and i have invited people into my home to offer steady  work to help them and had money disappear..
and have offered to buy a boat and let them use it everyday to get fish to feed their family,,and had money disappear, without even a thanks for the offer
i have taken peoples kids to the dentist and paid for it and their parents give me dirty looks now..
i did donate a water tank to the brngy and plant flowers around it and seen them pissing on it..
i have given out vitamins and bug shampoo for lice and given neighbors kids that play with my kids small christmas gifts..
and i did watch from my terrace and if i saw someone needing a tool or some help doing something went down to offer..
and i have bought tuba and sat and drank with them..and loaned money for broken boat motor parts..
i paid half the village to help me when i built this house mixing cement or whatnot, not because i needed it just to make community..and give everyone a chance
and they still snort a big hocker and spit after they walk by me and flash their big smiles
so yeah..i am starting to get trust issues etc.

but this is only the behavior of  400 people or so people and  I KNOW they ALL cant be like THIS.,hahahaa...(i just know it..)

Sometimes, you just cannot win.  I don't have those issues living in Ormoc City.  Maybe my wife does a good job protecting me from that.  But, we do not live in her wife's Barangay, either, not does she want to live there.

i am sure some stranger could buy this house and move in and be perfectly happy here,but having so many inter-related people surrounding us from my wifes family has just proved to be too much. I really put love in building this place and doing it was the happiest time i have had here. maybe everyone was on their best behavior because they were "on the payroll" at the time,or their dad uncle or cousin was?
  either way i hope someone buys this house&lot and we can enjoy the experience of building elsewhere. things have just degraded too much at this point to imagine a time when our neighbors wont be thinking about how much they hate us or we wont be puzzled as to why.
I have not given up on the philippines as a whole or filipino people as a whole, but i'm sad to say i have given up on this brngy...at least for us.

geolefrench wrote:

I know some expats who are really paranoid in the Philippines like soonretired. But they will feel much better when they start to learn about the culture and foremost they learn the local language. 99% of the problems are linked to language barriers. The Filipinos are not often comfortable to speak in English, they will tell you "nose bleed !", but be more fluent after 3 beers or more :-)

you are probably right most of the time but in my case i grew "paranoid" slowly over the past 5 years here, and unfortunately the more i learn about the "culture" the more i feel my distrust is well earned.
and if i knew the language i would have known all the disgusting things they were saying while smiling at me long ago and doubt that would have helped. i have met good people here and have good friends here,they just dont live in my brngy! LOL

Have no such issues wif my partner or any member of her *immediate family (cousins/relatives/neighbours excluded here!)...she is the youngest daughter of a 83 year old proud pinoy carpenter who lives in the mountains of Dinagat Island...he may lack education & the ability to converse in English but has the principles and behaviour of a gentleman.

Buddy I feel for you I have been married for 40 years to a Filipina 8 grand kids, we own land in the Phils and I have some very good friends both in the Phils and back in Australia. Its been a great life for both of us. We involve ourselves in the community in  Leyte and help where we can and have organised aid for some of the major climatic events and have made and keep some very good friends there.
At risk of offending I suspect the issue may lie with your wife rather than the Filipino people and that wont be easy to over come.
But for me its my second home for and our kid and grand kids. I live in Australia and Leyte although of late its not the case.
If your near Cebu check a few of the ex-pats there for social events there are many living in Cebu and Leyte for that matter, you need to get out makes some local friends to really enjoy the benefits of living in the Phils.
I wish you well, be safe.