Tacoma to Cebu: The Adventure Begins

As the title indicates, I am currently based in Tacoma WA, and plan to relocate to Cebu as soon as I can get all my ducks in a row.  Cebu is intended to be a starting point, not necessarily a final destination for my Philippine retirement.

Anyone with advice regarding how to best organize the handling of possessions, finances, legal documents, and medical considerations etc is welcome to chime in.  I've started the process but don't really have a master checklist or schedule yet. 

I had careers in Engineering and patent law before retiring.  I don't expect to actively pursue patent work once in the Cebu, but it might be fun to write a patent application once in a while for old time's sake.

If people are inclined to chime in  with advice, the areas I'd say I need it most in are: seeking accommodation (renting not buying), getting health insurance, and arranging travel to other areas in the Phils to explore retirement locales other than Cebu, options for healthy eating, and living where the air is at least cleaner than in downtown Cebu city.

I have fairly recently traveled to Cebu city (2018) and Moalboal (2019) in two separate recon trips.  I took the second trip because I was overcome with allergic reactions to the air in Cebu during the first trip, and needed to prove to myself that I could handle the air in a more rural environment (also brought air purifiers and masks with me on the second trip).

Regards,
Voyager39

Do yourself a favor and start in Tagaytay where the air will s clean with tons of expats and the weather is coolest in southern Luzon. I'm a retired RCE and Land Surveyor! I live In Quezon City for 2 more weeks! Heading to Thailand and suggest you do the same!!!!!!!!

lasvegan wrote:

Do yourself a favor and start in Tagaytay where the air will s clean with tons of expats and the weather is coolest in southern Luzon. I'm a retired RCE and Land Surveyor! I live In Quezon City for 2 more weeks! Heading to Thailand and suggest you do the same!!!!!!!!

I agree with Tagaytay though you say you're heading to Thailand? To live there?  From what I've read, it seems that Thailand is getting tough on visas and the requirements. I've also read some posts from a few living there who seem to have rather deep pockets, that the income or financial resource requirements are high to avail yourself of a long term visa. I've also read some stories about medical insurance requirements that are making things even more expensive for expats.
I know we're off subject here, though can you shed any light on the cost and requirements for living in Thailand. 

P.S. We love Thailand, though our home is definitely in the RP.

Welcome Voyager. I'm from PDX, lot's of pristine beauty up in the PNW you will miss.. The Busay area, up on the mountain above Cebu has better air.  I suggest you check out Bohol Island and Panglao also.

As far as above question about Thailand goes, I find it much cleaner, more developed and safer overall than the Philippines. Housing and hotel accommodations are cheaper for similar clean, safe area. Food and transportation much better. Religion not driving people into poverty.

Drawbacks are the visa hassles, and you won't find the undeveloped beaches like in Philippines. People are not as friendly and there's that pesky language barrier, haha. You never realize how difficult it is until you're there. Not such a problem in Bangkok though.

I've heard of the advantages of Thailand many times: food, infrastructure, standards of living, etc.
The counter arguments in favor of the RP are usually fluency in English, and the dating/relationships.
I'm single, and have read and heard many expats say, with some regret, that Vietnam and Thailand had many advantages over the RP, but that the language situation and dating were better in the RP.  If anyone here disagrees, please let me know.

I live on Mactan walking distance to the new  Newtown complex.  Still busy but not as polluted as Cebu City yet it is a relatively short ride into the city.  It definitely has a more “resort style”  feel to it.  I rent a brand new two bedroom house for 14k.  I use jeepies and Vhire to get me pretty much anywhere very easily. 

There were so many choices about where best to live I would try different places to find the right vibe for yourself.