Retiring to Costa Rica soon considering Carribean Coast

My fiancee and I have visited Costa Rica several times and are considering moving to Costa Rica for my retirement from my job in the states.    We have seen many places we could rent online but the conventional wisdom seems to be rent before buy  (we will likely never buy anyway) and the best way to find a house to rent is to ask around locally, not to look online.   For the Caribbean Coast (Playa Negra, Play Cocles, etc) what we are finding online is mostly vacation rentals, not places we could one day call home.

We will be in Costa Rica for house hunting for three weeks in October for our planned move in January, so if you already live in  or have contacts in that area, please message me here.    Budget is < 1000.00 a month.   No Wifi is a deal breaker.  Also, we plan to not have a car and use bikes and/or taxis instead.  Close to the beach would be great too.

Thanks!

Hi. I'm sure on your budget you can find a nice house and pay for services, including wifi. You do need to know if any or all the companies offering internet/cable/cell services do service the house where you are going to rent. In my case, I do not get TV unless is satellite, no cable, Movistar and Claro cell signal is bad, no internet from those two companies, only from ICE, the government phone company. So, those are things to look for. Some rent with electricity and/or water included.