KL: Lost job, how difficult is it to find another before Visa cancels?

Sorry, the title isn't well worded since the character count was limited.

Title: Lost job in KL, how difficult is it to find another job before my work Visa is cancelled?

So I moved to Malaysia from India few months back but lately due to issues in the company and the employer thinking that I wasn't performing as expected I was basically fired with some notice period to allow me to find another job. I was on a professional visit pass.

My question is how difficult would it be for me to find another job in KL considering I have 1-1.5 months in hand since I don't want to go back right now. Not only I was loving my life in KL but going back right now will also be financially costly as in I would lose the apartment security.

So what should my next steps be? I would be okay in taking a pay cut but how are the chances for me? I have close to 5 years experience and I am in IT. My past experiences and resume are otherwise quite good and that is why I got this job.

Would really appreciate advice on this since I am really stressed out right now and not sure what stands for me next. Thanks!

Red flags! What exactly  is a "professional visit pass" and were you on a non working Visa so working illegally? I ask as some employees are known to exploit foreigners.

Also a reference  sounds difficult  for you with these issues? Maybe  a change of country a good idea?

Professional Visit Pass (PVP) is not a real working visa.
According to the ESD guidebook, PVP allows the holder to engage in temporary business/contracted activity in Malaysia under the ESD-approved company. Maximum contract is for 12 months, and is restricted to one contract / project at a time.
The maximum duration for an expatriate to hold PVP is 12 months. No extensions are allowed beyond 12 months.

I am not sure about the chances for you to take up another job. But meanwhile waiting for replies, you should start sending out your resumes to potential employers.

Bear in mind, although you are okay in taking a pay cut, salary actually plays a role to see the employers can put you in which employment pass category.

Wish you all the best!

For more info on Employment Pass, Professional Visit Pass, Social Visit Pass or more, you can find the guidebook here: https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/tc-es … 181102.pdf

I think that you would have to go back at some point in any case. My understanding is that professional and work visas are employer-employee specific. They cannot be transferred.

This would mean leaving and the new employer applying for permission to arrange a new visa while you are out of the country. 

One possibility is paying for a "Journey Performed" Pass...essentially the cost of an airline ticket out-and-back. But this may not be possible...it depends on the job and the prior visa.

soohwei wrote:

Professional Visit Pass (PVP) is not a real working visa.
According to the ESD guidebook, PVP allows the holder to engage in temporary business/contracted activity in Malaysia under the ESD-approved company. Maximum contract is for 12 months, and is restricted to one contract / project at a time.
The maximum duration for an expatriate to hold PVP is 12 months. No extensions are allowed beyond 12 months.

I am not sure about the chances for you to take up another job. But meanwhile waiting for replies, you should start sending out your resumes to potential employers.

Bear in mind, although you are okay in taking a pay cut, salary actually plays a role to see the employers can put you in which employment pass category.

Wish you all the best!

For more info on Employment Pass, Professional Visit Pass, Social Visit Pass or more, you can find the guidebook here: https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/tc-es … 181102.pdf

Thanks for the reply. I applied and got another job and the company is sponsoring the Visa, Employment Pass to be precise. I didn't have to take a salary cut either, in fact I got a raise.

Do you think I will need to go out of the country in the meantime, or the cancellation of the current PVP and issuance of the EP both can be done while I am here? Above poster commented "Red Flags", do you think there is anything wrong with my situation which can affect the issuance of the new Working Visa? I do not think there was anything against the law. I was working under PVP and now since I got another job here the new company is sponsoring a work Visa (EP). Thanks!

I'd think the companies HR (or hiring) office could give you better advice than anyone here. They may be willing to cover the Journey Performed Fee or expect you to do so. Or they may think you know that you would have to leave. Ask them!

This suggests that you have to leave and apply for the appropriate Employment Visa outside the country

"New entry requirements for Employment Pass and Professional Visit Pass applications - Malaysia

01 August 2016
The Malaysian Immigration Department has announced that, effective from today, 1 August 2016, foreign professionals applying for an Employment Pass (EP) or an Professional Visit Pass (PVP) will only be granted work permits if they enter Malaysia with the work permit approvals.  

Previously, the Immigration rules currently allowed foreign professionals who are intending to carry out work in Malaysia to be in the country while their work permit applications are being processed by the Malaysian Immigration Department. On approval, applicants were able to convert their business visitor status to work permit holder status while remaining in the country. 

With immediate effect, those who are in-country in Malaysia when their work permit applications are approved, will be required to leave Malaysia, comply with the visa requirements (if visa national) and re-enter Malaysia, before they will be granted the final work permit in order to officially start work in Malaysia. 

Additionally, there are certain categories of foreign national who will now require a medical examination and these are outlined below: 

those applying for EP Category III, i.e. those earning monthly base salary between MYR 2,500 (approx. 500 GBP) and MYR 5,000 (approx. 950 GBP);those intending to work in construction, manufacturing or mining sector; and those holding passports of the specified 15 countries (i.e. Thailand, Kemboja, Nepal, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, the Philippines, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, India, Indonesia and Bangladesh). 

What this means for you as an employer? 
Given there is now a need for the full immigration process to be completed outside of Malaysia, there are likely to be some slight delays in when foreign nationals are able to formally commence employment. Should you have any employees currently present in Malaysia, they will need to exit and re-enter Malaysia with the EP/PVP approval letter and Visa With Reference. 

Though the immigration authority may show some flexibility during this initial implementation stage, we would recommend that employers effectively plan for this change to avoid any complications or delays.

[link moderated]

Cinnamonape, you are confused about the "Journey Performed." Visas are supposed to be gotten from the Malaysian Embassies abroad (because the worker is supposed to be abroad).  If the  applicant is already here at the time of hiring, for (RM450 or 700 or whatever it is now), Immigration will pretend you got the visa at the embassy by "performing the journey" for you. Its a courtesy that saves time and money and has nothing to do with visa runs or going back out first.

I think I actually said that...Visas are to be obtained at a Malaysian Embassy Abroad
If you don't do that you have to acquire a "Journey Performed Visa" (which may only be obtained in some cases) that cost's about RM520.

I never said anything about visa-runs...unless you misinterpreted what I said about people needing to leave the country to obtain a visa at a Malaysian consulate outside as a "visa run".

Some people get confused about the fact that they are allowed to enter the country on a tourist pass and think that they can stay if they get a job.  But technically they needed to get a visa for that job outside Malaysia. The "Journey Performed Visa" is a way of "fictionally" (or should I say "administratively") making that journey, on paper, if not in reality....so one can then get the next visa. Even then the employer is required to demonstrate that the position is one that no qualified Malaysian can or will undertake, that they had an open employment search, etc.

The system is designed to prevent all sorts of people coming in on tourist visas and going around asking for work, finding a job and taking positions that locals would do.

Mot nationalities need to get a visa outside of Malaysia for long or short-term residence or employment. The exceptions are Switzerland, the Netherlands, and Commonwealth countries (BUT most South Asian nations, and Nigeria and Ghana must have visas).