Vietnam #2

Top expat destinations in the world for 2019 has Vietnam second behind Taiwan.

Cool! I'd like to see the source for that.  :)

All I could find was this, which is not what I was expecting.

Expat insider is the site, sorry I'm a techosauris, so can't send a link, or whatever it's called, hahaha😂

Ah yes, #2. Vietnam even ranks first for finance and working abroad. I suppose that's believable considering how flooded Ho Chi Minh City is with expats these days.

It's a mixed bag when it comes to Quality of Life Index, placing only 42nd, though this is an improvement after its 51st rank in 2018. Respondents are still dissatisfied with their health and well-being (56th) and digital life (51st).

I also would add that I think the baseline of each survery respondent would be different for each country. Vietnam doesn't have a high enough ratio of Expat families in proportion to Expat singles, and so they don't have a family rating for the survey.

Places like Vietnam and Taiwan people would come to travel, work for a short-term (typical stay is 1 year) contract, and the demographic is a mix of young graduates and retirees, with a few veterans in the mix. You also have a larger proportion of Vietnamese from abroad coming here. So you can't make a fair comparison to Western countries, which people often go to for education, finding improved quality of life, or whatever other reasons people go to Western countries. By historical statistics, most tourists never return for a second visit, but there are so many that come to Vietnam at least once.

That being said this is an encouraging step for Vietnam. I would like to see this country reach to the level of Korea in terms of quality of life and technological development, and beyond.  :D

Where are all these expats living? Probably holed up in Thao Dien or Pham Ngu Lao.

This city doesn't need anymore foreigners.

Don't forget Hanoi and the smaller cities as well. I find most foreigners tend to isolate themselves in their expat cliques. That is, unless they become a long-termer and find their niche.

If you stay longer than a year, you're probably already in that second category. I broke out of the clique within the first month and intermingle.

Here is the URL:

internations.org/press/press-release/expat-insider-2019-survey-reveals-the-best-and-worst-destinations-to-live-and-work-in-2019-39881

Nielsen Flute wrote:

Where are all these expats living? Probably holed up in Thao Dien or Pham Ngu Lao.

This city doesn't need anymore foreigners.

Plenty of areas in Saigon have very few expats.

One of the best countries in the world to lose weight  :cool:  and get plenty of sleep.  :sleep

Anyway, the main thing is the tropical climate, and, as the article mentions, the low cost of living.