Can A U.S. citizen apply for dual citizenship in Finland?

I am requesting information as to applying for dual citizenship in both Finland and America. As I near retirement age I want to travel more and am wondering if this is possible nowadays. I am also assuming to be considered an expat in any sense, a person should apply for and have dual citizenship, correct?

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm a dual national (US/UK) and have never found it to be of any benefit; for example, when I used to travel to the US, I would check-in in the UK using my British passport and then try and go through the citizen's queue in Washington; caused a lot of hassle and any benefit from jumping the queue was lost by the interrogation I got wanting to know why.

That said, if you have the right to Finnish citizenship, then you may have the right to a passport; Finland is a member of the EU and also a signature to the EU Schengen agreement, so if Europe is your planned retirement destination, then it would definitely be of use; be careful though because the IRS will still require you to declare in the US for your National and State taxes regardless of where you live.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks Cynic....this is what I was trying to verify. I work electronically, and let's say I get paid overseas (if in the UK or Finland).....so being a dualie, I assume I had better file tax papers before April 15 every year....right? I just returned from the UK in fact...stayed in the Kings Cross area near Pancras Station..........while there, hopped the Eurostar, went to Paris and stayed there for a while too...........

Hi again.

In general, where you are assessed for tax depends on where you are deemed resident for the majority of a tax year.  It gets a bit complicated in the UK because the tax year there runs from Apr>Mar, so if you're not careful, you could end up being assessed in 2 different countries.

You also need to keep an eye on Brexit as that may preclude you from the UK.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Bellow some information:

https://migri.fi/en/citizenship-application

Regards
Marja