Is it safe to travel to bangkok now?

i have planned a trip to BKK this coming feb 2009 , is it still safe to travel there?

its always been safe to travel here, what you see on tv is very far from how the situation actually is here. Protestors protest, they protest at different area from where tourists go. Even if they encounter a tourist, they won't do them any harm. Its never been a better time to come actually, flights, hotels, everything is cheaper than it has ever been.

I'm a bit late on this one but it is ALWAYS safe to travel to Thailand. One of the safest country to travel to, for foreigners.
And I travelled to quite a few to be able to say it with some "authority".
Your home "developed" country is most probably far more dangerous.

I think we need to be realistic when assessing the safety of any country for travellers or expats.

In the travel advisories issued by the Australian government, www.smartraveller.gov.au , visitors to Thailand are advised to exercise 'extreme caution', and travellers are advised not to travel to the four southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla.

Within south-east Asia, Thailand is regarded by the Australian government as less safe than Laos, Cambodia,Vietnam and Singapore, and on a par with Burma, but safer overall than Malaysia and Indonesia.

The smartraveller website provides ample details of the reasons for caution which you can check, but I might add a few additional dangers.

Thailand has extremely unsafe roads with approximately 20,000 deaths from road accidents recorded each year and more than 200,000 serious injuries. Motor vehicles have absolute right of way, and marked pedestrian crossings mean nought. Exercise extreme care whenever you want to cross a road.

Most properties in Thailand have no electrical earthing or grounding or are incorrectly wired. In addition, many appliances, such as refrigerators, are sold with two point ungrounded power plugs. Electrocution is common, and water heaters in bathrooms need special care. My advice is never to trust that an installation has been completed safely without checking for yourself.

Building construction and safety codes are often not enforced or officials receives kickbacks to turn a blind eye to infringements. The deadly new year's eve fire in a Bangkok nightclub left scores dead and highlighted breaches at many night venues across the city.

The tourist areas in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket hold many dangers for unsuspecting travellers. The Pattaya Daily News website will provide you with some insight.

The tourist brochures promise many things of Thailand, but as anywhere in the world, in terms of personal safety, commonsense must prevail.

I 've never felt unsafe there ... always look forward to going back and visit :) .

ThaiThanic wrote:

Thailand has extremely unsafe roads with approximately 20,000 deaths from road accidents recorded each year and more than 200,000 serious injuries. Motor vehicles have absolute right of way, and marked pedestrian crossings mean nought. Exercise extreme care whenever you want to cross a road.

I do not agree with that ThaiThanic. I have been living in Bangkok for 12 years and travelled hundreds of thousand of km in this country. And never felt in any danger of having an accident, not once.
Even in Bangkok.
That a lot of road injuries occur with motorbikes, I agree, they drive without licence and without helmet.
But the odds of a tourist having a road accident is sure far lower than in their home country.

Farangrakthai is very fortunate not to have seen any road accidents in twelve years in Thailand.

I have seen many, often involving a car and motorcycle. Each day I travel almost 100 kilometres in Bangkok and neighbouring Samut Prakarn province and frequently see accidents or the spray painted road markings of a recent accident investigation. I also have foreign friends who have been seriously injured in road accidents. Accidents are a fact of life here.

For instance, on a recent trip to a historical site in Buriram we were delayed with accidents at the same spot, coming and going through Sa Kaew province. There were fatalities in both accidents.

I also walk a lot in Bangkok and I can assure that crossing roads is a nightmare. Just look at the nervousness and extreme caution that Thais display whenever they have to cross the street!

Just don't assume a car will stop for you - even if you are crossing a car park in a shopping centre.

Tourists often have accidents on motorbikes. Have a look at the local news websites for Pattaya, Phuket and the popular Thai island destinations – and read the foreign travel advisories for travellers. These are put together by consular officials who deal with these things daily in Thailand.

Unfortunately, you are not going to get the full story in a Thailand travel brochure!!

Bangkok is safer than many cities in the world. The riots you saw were nothing compared to riots I have witnessed in LA or the UK. Less damage and alot less violence. It is blown out of all proportion by the media. As long as you are in main tourist areas Thailand is as safe as anywhere. I have lived here along time and feel safer here than in the UK out at night. Alot safer.

Of course it has problems like any country does. But as long as you are sensible you will be very unlucky to experience any aggression or problems. They do have accidents and there is violence: where ever there are human beings you will get that whether its UK, France, USA, Australia or anywhere.

So don't worry too much. Its a great place !

No country in world is safe as before, all are same but as compared to other states thailand is safer than any other.
I had visited Thailand several times and found Thailand being the safest of all other countries of Asia. Peoples are of polite and helping in nature.
I had several good experiences during my visits. One day I enter a shop for taking some items and 2 girls were working on that shop and they student and the way they guide us cannot be seen any other part, I would like to salute to them.
U cannot find any type of discrimination in any part of Thailand for a foreigner, they welcome the foreigners except some Airhostess they don't treat well to Indian and this is due to some reason as most of the Indians generally do the things as they do in their home country but being in foreign country you need to be little bit descent.
I had been in Pattaya 2 times and found the place very interesting and beautiful which is quite different form the things u get from internet. Most population of Pattaya ae girls and unlike other country most of the business and shops are run by girls only and they treat well to their customers.
There are some areas in Bangkok where is don't take precaution there are chances to get cheated like Patpong area in Bangkok is not good, if u get trapped with some local guy they will cheat you and being a foreigner u cannot do anything, so little bit careful when u are enjoying weekend and enter any dance bar or any go-go bar.
Rest of the Bangkok is safe to live and enjoy.
So enjoy the things, you cannot find the place like Thailand on earth.

Cheers !!!!!!!

I had been in bangkok when the riots were on their top but they don't touch any foreigners their fight is with their local persons afterall tourism run the big part of economy of thailand and how can a mother can harm her childrens so don't worry about it.
Even a girl can go and rome at 3 in night which is quite surprising in any part of the part of the world.
So need not to take any tension in thailand you would be safe and can enjoy your time.

cheers!!!!!!!!

I agree that driving can be dangerous in Thailand. The licensing requirements in many places do not appear particularly stringent, and even if you drive without a license, if you are apprehended by the police a 500 baht backhander will send you on your merry way. This, coupled with the proclivity of the youth to drink and drive, can make more a dangerous combination.

Play sensible, assume everyone else is not looking in their mirrors and will not use their indicator lights and you should be okay.

My Blog

Hi All,
I will go to VIetnam this coming Feb 2010, I will stay one night in Bangkok. I would like to know somes places to go (restaurants, places to visit...), can I have dinner outside, go around alone, take a taxi (I arrive in Bangkok at 6 P.M...)...

Thank a lots, :)

Where are you staying (which part). Bangkok is a big city and not always easy to get around quickly. There are very active bits and very empty bits.   The other thing is be honest and specific about what you want to see or do. Sleaze , clubbing , high end shopping, high end food, low end shopping low end food.

For one night probably Lumpini night market will give you a sample of food and shopping and massage.  Its safe and well served by transport. There are much better and cheaper places but you are only here one night and it has a good sample of everything.  It is also a short cab ride from some other good areas for touristy stuff

To the earlier poster as a caucasian I find Bangkok to be a very safe city however  two of my indian collegues have been mugged in the last six months in separate incidents by small gangs of men who took their money.

SteveF,

Thank for your answer, I will go to Lumpini Market, I don't have a lot of time, just enough to have dinner outside and visit some shop.

Thanks

Hi SteveF,

I forgot, my hotel is THONGTA SPA and Resort (not far from the airport)

Thanks

[moderated: no free ads]