Reading habits in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Books can be your greatest companions whether you have already settled in the Philippines or are now planning your move. Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

Where do you purchase or borrow books in the Philippines (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading?

Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in the Philippines? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

Thanks for participating,

Bhavna

While in the USA I buy plenty of books by James Patterson, Tim Dorsey, and other mostly world politics or mystery novels.  The book stores in and around Vigan have very little of what I want.  They claim they can order books for me at reasonable prices, but a few weeks later they inform me that they could not get the books I ordered.  Recently got some good books at a garage sale in the USA about Teddy Roosevelt and the diplomatic expedition he sent to Asia in 1905.  Great read so far, not usually liking to read about white supremists, but is quite relevant to the USA attitude towards the Philippines and Filipinos.

I enjoy a wide range of topics from technical, historical, local and world news to well written westerns, mysteries, fiction and some fantasy novels.

With much of it available on line and unavailable at the local bookstore, my hardcopy purchases are limited to what I find interesting at the National bookstores in my area.

I guess my reading habits are split between continuing education and just getting lost in a good story.

Hi Bhavna,

I no longer read current stuff unless it's theology. Once an avid reader of many of the classics, modern and aged, now not at all. Also read a lot of sf/ff material in the late 90s, took a creative writing course in ff by a published author, and wrote an autobiographical novella, but remains unfinished. Am only 30 pages in to a psych self-help book, and 1700 pages into a tome on the Christian new birth and many of the important realizations on that theme over the past 5 years.

But what many would describe as very restricted, it speaks to the issue of our inevitable death and what we are going to do then if Christ is not at the center of our lives.

Thanks for the question...
Bruce

The only thing 90% of filipinos read is Fb Instagram and twitter

I have to agree with that, but you can certainly understand why. Unless they grew up in the middle class or above, they were not exposed to books when they were young, except for textbooks. Certainly not reading for pleasure, at least with my Filipina, as she grew up poor in the province.  Whereas when I was young I inhaled books, both purchased and from a well funded public library.

Yeah the comment was tongue in cheek but partially true
I read 1000s of books in my youth not so many now usually autobiographies bought cheap in charity shops

Anticipating difficulty in getting the books I want, I brought along plenty to re-read (or read for the first time, never got around to them). I have some favorite authors I like and can re-read every few years who write Thai mysteries/thrillers and the Harry Potter series. I have plenty of educational/opinion stuff, and I still love sci-fi. But there's a lending library at the VFW hall here in Angeles that is quite well-stocked. If I want new stuff, there's Amazon although I won't get it for 1.5-2 months.

Anyway, at this point I don't anticipate having a lot of time for reading.

I am not sure about the use of the term "my Filipina".

Welcome to the forum Jackson4 and my bad for not welcoming you earlier after 11 posts. Sorry not seen any and won't look, time to redeem this/your contribution here.

"Reading habits in the Philippines" is the Post and whether I call my partner late to dinner, a bitc*/dog that head buts trams, Asawa, partner, wife, husband, lover the local scrub is not relevant to the original post and calling into question off topic diatribes? What may I/we ask do you call your better half if you have one or five concubines do you call them/those fleeting memories or  the correct  answer is,,,,,,,,,, ?

pnwcyclist was simply referring to the better half and little else needs to be said/raised on your, now contribution, and we should go back to the original topic and contribute likewise.

On topic, reading habits in PH are slim, mostly google my best friend.

Cheers, Steve.