Reading habits in Oman

Hello everyone,

Books can be your greatest companions whether you have already settled in Oman or are now planning your move. Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

Where do you purchase or borrow books in Oman (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading?

Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in Oman? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

Thanks for participating,

Bhavna

I read biographies and try to find well written novels.  Primarily on my kindle but there is nothing like a hard copy.
I also read the BBC news app most days, and being a UK national am interested in the dire Brexit happenings.

Authors I like are Phillips Gregory, Noel Barber, Alison Weir, 
Topics I enjoy are anything to do with Russia during and after the revolution.  One that stands out in my mind is A Russian tapestry,
The Bronze horseman by Paulina Simons is  also wonderful. One of my favourite books. 

Elizabeth Jane Howard also writes good novels and are well written. 

Prefer not to belong to a library group as like to choose my own books!!!! Also to be able to read them in my own time.

There doesn't seem to be a great love of reading in Oman, nevertheless there are Borders bookstores in the malls. Non-kindle English readers may be at a disadvantage as the range of literature at Borders can be a bit cake-left-out-in-the-rainish. Better than reading the back of a cereal packet I guess.  Oman's own Jokha Al Harthy wrote a great book which won accolades, but try getting a copy here!

Have to get 99% of books I read on kindle.  Which is OK but I do love to be able to turn pages as I once did. 
There was a bookshop here called The family bookshop, and another called Turtles, but both have gone.  If you want to try to find a book about painting (art) or knitting its impossible.  If you are a lover of tatty novels you are in luck!  Such a shame.

Books - mysticism, romance and crime
Magazines - automobiles, GQ, current affairs and playboy(that is very rare)

Book recommendation - The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak