Why Belize for you?

I live in the Boston area, and thinking about living for a while somewhere warm and much less expensive in 1-2 years when my daughter is in college. My husband passed away this year.

So my questions to you good people who are living in Belize:

1. Why did you choose Belize in general and the town you are in specifically?

2. What is the healthcare like--quality and cost? Dental?

3. Your thoughts on safety for a single woman?

4. Where are there good expat communities?

5. I'd like to be in a seaside community where the swimming is wonderful.

Thanks for your advice/comments. :)

Lisa

You really need to come experience belize for yourself. It's not for everyone. We fell in love with the diversity of this small country, the genuine nature of the locals and the diving. And then all the practical stuff like direct flight, english speaking etc. Like everywhere, Belize has it's problems. Bureaucracy can be infuriating. Health care I would say anything major you would want to be treated back home. And Belize is NOT cheap. We are just south of Hopkins. We wanted to be on the mainland as oppose to the Cayes and an ocean lot. And wanted to be close the reefs for diving and near some good hiking and sea kayaking. Hopkins offers all of it.   Good luck.

We chose Belize because - it's a Caribbean locale that is not an island, it's English speaking, you have the ability to own property as a non-resident, the topographical diversity, an abundance of archaeological sites, cultural diversity, a low population density, the overall cost of living, and a slower life-style.
We chose our specific location off the Hummingbird Hwy because we wanted several acres in the jungle, surface water on the property, established fruit trees, and proximity to Belmopan, Hopkins and the sea. We considered Placencia also, but it is so far south it can be difficult to easily get to other regions of Belize. Hopkins, Silk Grass and San Ignacio were considerations as well.
Lots of expats all over, but many in San Ignacio, Corozal, San Pedro, Placencia, Caye Caulker.
We didn't want to be on a caye for the same reason we didn't buy in the Bahamas- the weather.
You can make Belize as expensive as you want, depending on your lifestyle, habits and desires.
Ditto the above on healthcare. Dental care I hear is good and reasonable, but no personal experience.
As for safety, I believe if you just use common sense and be careful who you befriend, you would be fine.

Belize is indeed the most expensive location in the region of C.A. and Mex. This is easy to verify.It is particularly true for utilities,fuel and internet. Commodities are not cheap either unless you buy strictly local products. Medical is very good for basic care and its affordable. Not so much for advanced or ER/trauma care. Dental is excellent. So is veterinary.Belize is not unsafe but property crime is a problem everywhere. The infrastructure is very 3rd world world. Police and fire services are not the best.Pointing out these verifiable truths are classed as negative or trashing by true Belizers. This is disingenuous.

Susan that is the nicest post you have put on here about Belize for a long time. Folks only get upset when you do the totally negative posts. Could you also clarify that your experiences only covered a small part of belize and life may be different for those living outside of Corozal district.

I promise you We all have totally different and personal views on our lives in Belize.

I have know Belize a long time (over 25 years,) Our first resident time was in the north Belize City area, Before it became the shopping area it is now. I have spent a lot of time also in Cayo. Over the years we visited the coastal areas, and the Cayes so when ready to purchase  property to retire to  we were initially  looking in  western Cayo and the areas along the humming bird down to and including the Placencia peninsula.
We actually  found our property and bought and settled just outside of Belmopan.
Love the location, close to all the amenities the capital city has to offer, while on the access roads  to most every part of Belize.
I knew the health care situation long before we purchased.
I was pleasantly surprised at the Quality and costs of Dental care.
I spend a lot of time in Belize on my own and the only times I have felt unsafe have been caused by loud and obnoxious expats.
We were never looking for an expat "community". There are expats in most places in Belize, I prefer a varied circle of friends, If I wanted to live only with People "like me" I would not bother to live in a foreign country.
Love the beaches in Belize, particularly Placencea,  but  for a vacation and a break from the everyday, not as a permanent residence. I'm only 2 or less hours drive away from Hopkins/Placencea so I can go for a day trip  or  a longer stay any time I want.   Belmopan airport has flights every day to get to the Cayes so I feel I have the best of all worlds.